Onslow County, NC (Jacksonville, Richlands, etc.) - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 700 Old 01-04-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Shannon ~ Are you saying your docs are cool on you not vaxing but not supportive about you breastfeeding?
Yes! :

Except it's like this: Neither of them are happy that we don't do all vaxes. And they both think breastfeeding is good.

The ped (who multiple people have told me is very pro breastfeeding) encouraged me to wean DD1 when she was 2 & not gaining much. He understood my reluctance to wean when I reminded him she's allergic to milk & soy & he discovered he couldn't recommend any of his high calorie supplements.

I asked the family practitioner how he feels about "extended" breastfeeding (which I defined as past 2 years when he asked) and he said that after a certain point it has no nutritional value and it could also be detrimental to the child's moral/emotional development. :

I understand a doctor not being 100% on board w/selective vaxing. I don't have any trouble saying "no thanks." But I think they should be better educated about breastfeeding.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 700 Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I understand a doctor not being 100% on board w/selective vaxing. I don't have any trouble saying "no thanks." But I think they should be better educated about breastfeeding.
Yeah, that does seem totally backward, doesn't it? Probably has something to do with the fact that vaxes are medically based and profit driven so they have more info on that. Breastfeeding is a natural, physiological process with no potential for profit so they (researchers, doctors, scientists) just don't know much about it.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#183 of 700 Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Here's another thing I learned about through that Hampstead Mommies group. It sounds like it might be something fun to do some time. It's a bit of a drive since it's in Wilmington so maybe more of a special occasion thing than an every month thing. I don't think I'll go to the Jamboree on the 19th because it sounds like it will be very crowded. I might try a random weekday if someone wants to join me.

http://www.fitforfuncenter.com/

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#184 of 700 Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM

I like the roller rink idea and the Fit for Fun center sounds-- well, fun, LOL. The Jamboree even sounds cool even if it will be a bit crowded. I can't do the roller rink this Tuesday, but I think we can swing it for Thursday. I was going to be at the LLL meeting this morning but my son is sick today, so we're all staying home.
#185 of 700 Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM

and co-op classes

Tomorrow Jan 19 from 1-3.
We'll meet at Steed Park-generally
but at CC DANCE for cold rainy days like tomorrow! Bbbbrrrrrrr!
ALL AGES--welcome

tomorrow we will discuss the formation of a co-op for classes.
Art & Crafts, Sewing, Soap Making, Stamping, Poetry, Math & Science

-mercy
#186 of 700 Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM

I would love to come, Mercy, but as you noticed we weren't at playgroup yesterday. Ethan is sick : so we won't be able to come tomorrow either. He may not make it to dance class Saturday either.

#187 of 700 Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM

I hope ethan feels better soon!

I'd love to hunker down with a warm toddler
during this noreaster! : ) me no like cold.

I'll keep everyone posted on what comes of the classes.
There are several mom's with twos & threes interested
in a craft class.

stay warm everybody!
#188 of 700 Old 01-18-2007, 10:00 PM

Mercy ~ Do you know about that MeetUp website? There are a bunch of people on there who have said they'd like a homeschool group in the area but no one has done anything about it yet.

#189 of 700 Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 AM

I'll have to check that out. I tried hosting a yoga meet up but it never came about. I'm spread soo thin already I'm hoping to just be an instigator...I'm good at that. I'm tired from running with the ball and need a rest.

It is so neat though to watch all the right connection happen.
That's great that you and shannon know each other now! HEE HEE!
I Was all bubbly when I realized that I've met three momma's from here
in real time!!!!

I was a member of hipmama "back in the day" we held a southeast
regional gathering in BURGiAW of all places. It was amazing to meet for real!

anyway...off to yoga
#190 of 700 Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I can understand needing a break from being the organizer of everything. I have signed up for a couple different groups on the MeetUp thing ever since I found out about the Homebirth Group through there. I have thought about hosting an AP MeetUp but I don't really know what there is to do around here, especially in doors with the weather.

#191 of 700 Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Hey. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for mother's helpers. I should be having my baby in early June and am thinking I'd like to have some help with light housework and cooking.

#192 of 700 Old 01-19-2007, 07:06 PM

Mercy's Garden is always available to use in support of families.
You just need to find a space in the schedule and leave it clean.
maybe a small rental fee? ($20) You could use the mats and toys..
.hold your own playgroup. Jennifer from wednesdays playgroup wants
to start a more structured crafty group for 2's and up.

monday tuesday wednesday and friday afternoons are available 12-2.
Fridays all day after 12. you could do an evening things so dads could come too. saturday after 2 and all day sundays when there are no birthday parties.

USE THE SPACE..just don't require me to lead ; ) I'm good w/wednesdays.
#193 of 700 Old 01-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Oh, wow, Mercy! That's great. Thanks so much. I'll have to think about this for a bit now to try to figure out the best time. I am not an arsty/crafty person at all so any input from anyone on things to do, how to do them and materials needed would be greatly appreciated.

#194 of 700 Old 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM

MW-

I can help you plan the arts and crafts stuff, not sure I can commit to participating in group becasue we are so busy but I certianly can give you some resources to help plan the stuff.

hope Ethan is feeling better
#195 of 700 Old 01-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Hay everyone. Here's a lactivist alert. Walmart/Similac is having a nutrition seminar for all new moms/babies on February 3rd at various stores. I checked and the supercent in Jacksonville is planning one. Apparently, there is no mention of breastfeeding as being best for babies. I would love to go and do whatever to protest, get breastfeeding in the discussion. I'd stage a nurse in except that my ds doesn't bf anymore. Anyone else game?

#196 of 700 Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm game so long as I'm not supose to be teaching at the time
#197 of 700 Old 01-23-2007, 08:30 PM

I think we could always reschedule class for a nurse in!

listen, I just got back from the childcare resource and referral center-smart start. They have a great facility! Right now they are next to chic-filet on western. but Feb 23 they are having their grand opening of their new facility in Richlands. very near the library/museum on 258.

they have a large room filled with equipment/lessons/blocks/toys/gross motor/fine motor/books/music....anything you can think of. A very small fee to join and you can check out the stuff for a month. I used the place often when we had the montessori preschool. It has grown tremendously since then. The staff is kind and helpful too.

LLL should put some brochures up there. They are always looking for people to hold classes. We've talked allot about sharing resources for gentle discipline, attachment parenting, homeschooling, etc. I think we reach a wider audience there.

check em out!

-mercedes
#198 of 700 Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 PM

It goes from 10-3 so we can still make dance class. February 3rd is a Saturday, right?

#199 of 700 Old 01-25-2007, 01:14 PM

I hope I don't get in trouble for this. I guess if I do someone will tell me. Has anyone seen pediatrician Dr. Gant or been to Onslow Pediatric Associates? I'm wondering because I just had a really good telephone conversation with him about having a baby at Onslow Hospital. He was very nice and helpful and totally understood my concerns and was willing to accomodate me as much as possible (if I were to end up there). He also brought up that if I didn't want my baby to get the Hep B shot, I just needed to let the hospital staff know although he thinks it's a good vaccination. I didn't even ask about that. So, now I'm thinking about trying him as a pediatrician for my baby at least for the first couple of months since my FP does not see babies until they are 2 months old.

#200 of 700 Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey ladies! May I join you?

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#201 of 700 Old 01-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Welcome Semper!

MW-Baby factory, I went once 10 years ago.
Can't imagine how packed it is now.

Can't attest to his philosophies either. We saw a Dr. from Egypt that was at that practice. Not sure if he is still there or not. He was great. Can't remember his name.

I was very concerned with the sheer number of patients and the multitudes of sick children in the lobby. unavoidable I guess.
#202 of 700 Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Yeah, mercy, I know it's a baby factory. They are all, it seems. : It certainly can't be any worse than the naval clinic. I only take my kids when they are sick so I'm not too worried about that. I don't go for the so-called "well baby" checks. (They're only a ruse to get you so they can give your kid a shot.)

#203 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 12:33 AM

From what I understand, there are only 2 peds clinics in Jax and they are both pretty overcrowded. I know JCC is because that's where we were for awhile. I decided to take my kids to Hampstead Family Medicine instead. I'm not as crunchy on the medical front as some are, so I do the vaxes and stuff. I can't attest to their position there because I've never asked, but I was very encouraged to breastfeed (Claire was 11 months old and still nursing at the time, Doc was happy to see that.) I have never once had to wait, they have a walk-in clinic in Surf City with walk-in hours all day as well as Saturday. That's where I have all of our appointments which is nice because it's closer than Hampstead. Once they made an appointment for me in the Hampstead office but when I mentioned I'd rather go to the Surf City clinic they had no problem making it there instead. I justify the drive because I had been waiting in a gross sick waiting room at least twice as long as the drive time when my kids were at JCC.
#204 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I hope I don't get in trouble for this. I guess if I do someone will tell me. Has anyone seen pediatrician Dr. Gant or been to Onslow Pediatric Associates? I'm wondering because I just had a really good telephone conversation with him about having a baby at Onslow Hospital. He was very nice and helpful and totally understood my concerns and was willing to accomodate me as much as possible (if I were to end up there). He also brought up that if I didn't want my baby to get the Hep B shot, I just needed to let the hospital staff know although he thinks it's a good vaccination. I didn't even ask about that. So, now I'm thinking about trying him as a pediatrician for my baby at least for the first couple of months since my FP does not see babies until they are 2 months old.
I've heard good things about Dr. Gant. I believe that is who my best friend goes to and she's lived in Jacksonville most of her life.

It's so nice to catch up with you all.maybe i can join you guys on a playdate soon.
As for the nurse-in I'm game. lol.Marilyn(ColeysMama) and I did the one at VS last yr.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#205 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Here's my situation with picking a ped so maybe you guys can help me figure out if it's even worth it. I am planning a homebirth but am also seeing an OB in town just in case something develops before labor and I can't have a homebirth. I heard some bad things about Onslow hospital and their baby nursery policy so I am seeing if I can get into the naval OB clinic. My FP put a referral in for me at the naval OB clinic but I have a feeling I won't be accepted since I'm TriCare Standard and I've heard they refer a lot of Prime people out for lack of room. So, if I end up at Onslow for some strange reason, I am supposed to have a doctor picked out for my baby at least while s/he is at the hospital. My FP does not have pedatric priviledges at Onslow. I called a few other FPs in town and none of them do. I'm stuck with either Onslow or Jacksonville ped clinics. I did see that Jacksonville also has a FP clinic but I didn't like the reponse I got from them when I called to ask about the hospital nursery policies. Basically, I got no reponse. After discharge from the hospital and until baby is 2 months old I can always go to the naval ped clinic if I need to since baby is automatically covered under Prime for that time period. Should I even bother with all of this?

I sort of have a plan in my head that, if for some reason I do have to plan for a hospital birth and don't get accepted to the naval OB clinic, I will go to my civilian OB prenatal care. However, once I go into labor, I'll go to the naval hospital and refuse to leave. I know that probably sounds kind of crazy but I do NOT want my baby taken to a nursery where I cannot see what's going on. Do you think they'd physically make a woman in labor leave?

On the Walmart thing, I was wondering if we could get some LLL flyers and some Top 10 reasons to BF flyers to pass out. Does anyone know how to get these? I don't mind making the copies. And, does anyone know if this is something we could do inside the store (I have noticed that people wander around the store passing out religious literature) or do you think we'd be asked to leave? I'm planning to wear my "Human Milk for Human Babies" t-shirt even though it's too small and has a hole in one armpit.

#206 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Another doc question - I found out this past week that Cole's and my FP is no longer practicing in Jacksonville (at least not at the clinic where she was). He saw another FP on Tues for his 15-month WBV, because the clinic told me as long as he saw someone at the same facility as his old doc, it would be okay with TriCare. Well, when we got there and checked in, they told me that TriCare switched him to another doc at another practice.

The new one is Milton Kale. He practices at Onslow Pediatric Associates. Does anyone know anything about him? Or OPA?

MW - If you go to the ER, they legally cannot make you leave. However, I wouldn't want to have my baby in an ER type of setting.
#207 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Dr. Kale is at the same place as Dr. Gant. I don't know anything about him or that clinic except for that.

I wasn't thinking of going to the ER. I meant just showing up at L&D. I would think, however, if you went through the ER and they determined there was no emergency other than you having a baby, they'd just send you up to L&D. Does that make sense?

#208 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 04:50 PM

It makes sense, I suppose... theoretically. But I'm not sure it would actually work that way. Unless you are about to deliver and there's no time, they'd prolly send you over to OMH.

Onslow Pediatric Associates is such a generic name, it makes me automatically think "mainstream." Not sure if that makes sense. The doc Cole saw Tues was okay, though not nearly as cool as the old one. I may see if we can switch to him since Cole's records are already there.

I also need a new doc for myself. They assigned me a new one, but it's a man, and I would be very uncomfortable seeing a male doc (for religious as well as personal reasons). Actually, the only reason I was seeing the first one was because when I went to the tricare office to get registered, she was the only woman on the list. So if anyone knows anyone... let me know!
#209 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Yeah, Marilyn, I was figuring on waiting as long as possible before going to the hospital so that I would be in active labor by the time I got there. I guess something could come up that would require me to be induced or have a c-section but I think all of these scenarios are highly unlikely based on my personal health history plus how this pg has been going already. These are all just what ifs and back up plans.

As far as PCMs, I don't really know anything about how that works since I use Standard so I don't have to designate a PCM. I'm not sure what you need a doctor for but could you designate an OB/GYN as your PCM? You might be more likely to find a woman that way.

#210 of 700 Old 01-26-2007, 11:33 PM

There's a list of who's available, and you pick off the list. That's it, as far as I know. I don't necessarily need a doc right now, I'm just thinking of if I get seriously sick or something... plus I'm due for a pelvic exam/pap soon... and want to get my IUD removed. So... it would be nice to have someone.

I'm going to go to the tricare website and see if I can find a list of providers or something...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page