Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looking forward to meeting you Ireisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 700 Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
we love richlands! Have you looked in this area?
There are several nice rentals in town.
#243 of 700 Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Oh yay! I can make the playdate at Mercy's Garden that day. That's a perfect time for us.
#244 of 700 Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

Ireisa
#245 of 700 Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 AM

Hm, I wasn't getting emails about new posts on this thread for some reason. I came to let everyone know I've got 6 more members on my new AP group on meetup.com. I think at least 4 of us have rsvped yes to the playtime on the 23rd. I'm hoping that once this thing gets going I can move the group over here and maybe to a yahoo group rather than paying Meetup.

I have been out of everything lately because we have been sick. Ethan and I both had colds about 3-4 weeks ago. We finally felt well enough to go to dance class Saturday before last and Ethan woke up the following Wednesday with a fever. The doc says he has Fifth disease so we are quarantined again until his rash subsides. I have no idea when that will be because it can linger for several weeks. He really shouldn't be contagious anymore and it's not a dangerous for children or adults or really awful illness if anyone else catches it, anyway. I just don't want to spread things. My point in this, though, is that it can be extremely dangerous for a pregnancy. So, if anyone is pregnant and has never had or been exposed to Fifth disease, aka Slapped Cheek illness, erythema infectiosum or parvovirus B19, before and is going to the playtime on the 23rd, please let me know so I can be more cautious about deciding whether or not we should come. I'm waiting on my blood test results to see if I'm in the clear since I have no idea if I've ever had it or been exposed.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#246 of 700 Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 AM

MW.....I hope everything is OK, we've missed you!! DD and I are heading north for the long weekend so hopefully we'll catch you next week. DH is staying here though so if you need anything don't hesitate to call him. His big plans for the weekend consist of painting and making real meatloaf (since he can't make it when I'm around LOL) so don't worry about bothering him.
#247 of 700 Old 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Haha real meatloaf! I broke down and bought ds1 some meat cuz he was having a fit.

I'm sure everything is fine with me. We just need to check my antibodies to make sure I am immune to this thing since no one knows if I ever had it. Even if I'm not immune to it, there's only a 50% chance I'd pass it to the baby and only a 1% chance after that that the baby would have bad complications. I just have to wait for the test results. I don't know how long that will be sicne no one knows how long it will take because no one ever had to order them before.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#248 of 700 Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 PM

hey whats the word on the playdate?
#249 of 700 Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Mercy ~ Just called you.

#250 of 700 Old 02-20-2007, 07:31 PM

After the recent talk on here about local pediatricians, I thought I'd pass this on for anyone who hadn't seen or heard about it.

http://www.jdnews.com/onset?id=593&t...e=article.html

#251 of 700 Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
After the recent talk on here about local pediatricians, I thought I'd pass this on for anyone who hadn't seen or heard about it.

http://www.jdnews.com/onset?id=593&t...e=article.html
Wow how scary and sad.

Ireisa
#252 of 700 Old 02-23-2007, 09:52 AM

Hey everyone. For those coming to the playdate today, there is a small fee for using Mercy's Garden, $20.00. No one is under any obligation whatsoever to help pay, but if you'd like to contribute a couple of dollars, that would be greatly appreciated. Probably, only $2-3 from each person will be enough depending on how many show up. Please come even if you can't or just plain don't want to contribute. I won't be offended at all. I set this up so I am absolutely willing to cover the cost myself.

#253 of 700 Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 PM

We had a good time to tady, thanks for settting it up MW
#254 of 700 Old 02-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Thanks Violla. DS is saying he wants to go to the beach now. He wants to make a sand castle. Maybe we can all do that some day soon if we have another warm one like yesterday.

#255 of 700 Old 02-24-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry I missed the playdate! Hopefully we can make the next one.

We are finally getting over being sick. We've had a nasty virus that went from cough/congestion/fever to gastrointestinal crud. Hannah is just starting to regain her appetite and energy. Nora only had mild symptoms (yay breastfeeding!).

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#256 of 700 Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Thanks Violla. DS is saying he wants to go to the beach now. He wants to make a sand castle. Maybe we can all do that some day soon if we have another warm one like yesterday.
Well you are welcome to come build sand castles at our house after ballet today. DH is taking DD but he'll have pictures to give you of the last time they built sandcastles/mud pies..........what a glorious mess!!
#257 of 700 Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 PM

Hey everyone. I am tentatively planning to go to the beach here on base this Monday. DS has been talking constantly about going to the beach and building a sand castle. The weather is supposed to be relatively nice, high of 68 and at least partly sunny. Then it starts to cool off again and supposed to be rain the following week so I think this may be our last chance for a while. I'm a real wimp about being cold, though, so if it doesn't warm up much I don't know how long I'll last. Anyway, I just thought I'd invite anyone who'd like to try to go. I don't have a specific time set. If I go on my own accord, it'll probably be around 11 am. If anyone else would like to go and has a different time that would be better, that's fine. Just let me know. If you don't have a military ID, it's kind of a pain to get on base but not too bad. I can let you know what to do if you decide you want to come.

#258 of 700 Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Hey everyone,

I currently have no babies, but hopefully will be TTC w/in the next few months. I've been ready for several months if not born ready lol! But hubby hasn't really been. But he turned to me last night and told me that he wants to be a dad. Need to fix a few things with us first, but sounding like summer time we are going to start trying.

Just trying to get a feel for parenting in the MC you know. Hubby is an SOI instructor so he works a lot. I am working at a vet office right now and taking classes through Campbell. Any advice you ladies could give I would really appreciate! I think my main concern will be afordable day care. Would it be wrong for me to buy a crib and some other stuff like that from one of the consignments or thrift stores around here.
#259 of 700 Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Hi VC. Welcome. I think if you buy any baby gear used you need to inspect it very carefully, check for recalls and make sure it's not too outdated. I inherited a crib for my oldest that had been passed down through my family. By the time I got it the regulations about how far apart the slats should be had changed so we had to add slats to make it safe. I never used it much anyway. I would not buy a carseat used under any circumstances. You can never know if it's been in a car accident and, they say once it's been in a car accident, even if there isn't any visible damage, it's not safe to use anymore. I think I read recently that has changed a bit and some carseats might still be safe depending on the severity of the accident but I'd err on the side of caution with that. I know nothing about affordable daycare anymore.

I think I'm going to change my beach plans to tomorrow. I checked the weather this morning and the temp is supposed to be the same but with abundant sunshine. That sounds better than today with everything still so wet from the rain yesterday. We'll go to storytime in the morning so probably make it to the beach around 11:30 or so.

#260 of 700 Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 AM

Hey everyone. I've started a group on Yahoo for setting up playgroups and activities for all of us. If any of you would like to join, please do. That way I (or anyone else) can relay info in only one place instead of 3 or 4 places like I've been trying to do lately.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JacksonvilleAP/

#261 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome vc320! I just saw an article about daycare centers that you might be interested in: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17384752/ Apparently military facilities are highly esteemed!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#262 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

La Leche League tomorrow!

9:00 a.m. at the Lutheran Church of Our Savior, 1115 Lejeune Blvd

Hope to see you there!

#263 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 PM

Hey everyone. We're getting ready to move down to Lejeune. We get there on Saturday and we'll start looking for a place to live. We'll probably be busy the first week, but I would love to get out for a bit. I'm going to join that Yahoo group that was posted too.

Ireisa
#264 of 700 Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 PM

Thanks Moving Mamma

Does any one here use any of the local day cares? One of the girls I work with takes her son to one in Richlands. She doesn't really complain about it, but he seems to be sick a lot- I guess thats gonna happen no matter where I take him though. My other day care concerns are cloth diapering and breast milk instead of formula- definatly will need a pump lol

Hubby's in trouble with work right now so it doesn't look like we will have much baby making time in the next month or so anyways lol, but soon hopefully! Hope you ladies don't mind me crashing you guys right now with no little ones in toe
#265 of 700 Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I have not used any daycares here. I did use daycares with my older ds because I had to work. It's very typical for babies/children to get sick with everything under the sun once they are exposed to a daycare or school setting. If babies don't go to daycare and get exposed, they usually catch everything when they start school. Breastfeeding should help with that since the baby would get passive immunity from you. Course, then whenever you stop breastfeeding your child will start getting everything under the sun. My ds is 3 years old. He just weaned last November and we also just started doing more group activities, playgroup, dance class, storytime, and seems that one of us has been sick every other week this winter when usually we would only get sick once or twice a year.

I just pre-registered at Onslow Pediatrics today. I didn't do anything except fill out paperwork and kind of look around the waiting area. It was loud with the TV blaring and I could see how one might get the feeling of being just a number there. I also got my pre-reg stuff for Onslow Hospital. I'm not sure exactly what to do with that since I'm not planning to have my baby there. Do I go ahead and pre-register anyway just in case? The only way I would end up there is if I had to have a scheduled early procedure. If I have to transfer to a hospital during labor, I would go to the naval hospital. So, wouldn't that give me time to pre-register then?

#266 of 700 Old 03-02-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

MW is right on w/daycares & illness + breastfeeding.

I haven't ever used daycare, but if I had to I would try to find a great home based place.

MW- I would go ahead & preregister b/c you could end up w/a scheduled early procedure under short notice & stressful circumstances. But I like to have all my ducks in a row...

I would also want a level head in order to customize my consent forms per ICAN's white paper on Enforcing and Promoting the Rights of Women Seeking Vaginal Birth After Cesarean

#267 of 700 Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks Shannon. I usually like to have everything set up just in case, too. I just felt so weird pre-registering for a pediatrician that I'll probably never use that it made me wonder about the hospital thing. I am so not worried about myself and doing a vbac at all. Maybe I'm being naive about it since I didn't get much hassle with it at the army hospital in Hawaii. What concerns me most about Onslow is the pediatric procedures. They insist that all babies go to the nursery to 2-4 hours almost immediately following birth even if you decline the majority of tests and shots and such. I also heard that they insist that the babies go back to the nursery for several hour at a time for observation. I can't seem to find a way out of this other than having a homebirth. That whole procedure really upsets me.

#268 of 700 Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

FWIW, Hannah (& DH) didn't head to the nursery at Onslow until about an hour after the birth. They were there for a while, though. She (& DH) didn't have very long visits to the nursery after that...probably 30 mins at a time.

Read the ICAN white paper. I know it would take a lot of guts (maybe more than I have!) but it is your baby & you can say no!

#269 of 700 Old 03-02-2007, 06:21 PM

I've already talked to my OB about a vbac and she doesn't have a problem with it. She also said the one OB at her practice who usually doesn't do vbacs probably wouldn't have as much objection to me since I've already had one. I know I can refuse and I really don't care how the doctors react. I need to call Onslow back and talk to the head nurse. I spoke to Dr. Gant at Onslow pediatrics about it and he said she is the one to talk to. She can tell me exactly what procedures they do in the nursery so that I can determine what to refuse. I have written up a birth plan and a pediatric care plan. When I asked about having an interveiw with Dr. Gant before my baby is born I was told they do not do that.

I probably wouldn't be so concerned if my dh were going to be here but he won't. Although I have plenty of people who can and would go with my baby to the nursery, they would not have any legal authority to stop the hospital staff from doing whatever to my baby, including leaving him/her screaming for hours, which is what I was told happened to one woman's baby. Maybe when I pre-register I can plan to talk to the nurse and get a tour of the nursery.

#270 of 700 Old 03-06-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know why I don't get updates on this thread sometimes...

Gosh, MW...I don't have any ideas! Maybe you could drop in on the single parenting forum & see if anyone there has ideas about how to manage in that situation. Here's hoping it doesn't end up being an issue at all & you have a lovely homebirth surrounded by supportive people!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page