We're moving to Tennesse....Tell me everything. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In 6-10 months we are moving to Tennessee. We're not sure where just yet. We can move anywhere we want to that has decent neighborhoods with houses in the $120's.

We like farmer's markets, trails in close proximity, etc. I would of course love a great school district but it won't make our decision b/c I plan to participate a lot in my DC's schooling even if ends up being public.

It is important to us to be withing a 1-2 hour drive of some whitewater for rafting and kayaking.

Tell me all of the little communities you know about and about the bigger cities. We do want to live in a more populated area with larger stores 15-20 min. away.
#2 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Which part of TN? West, Middle or East? We live in southern middle TN, about 35 miles south of Nashville in a town called Spring Hill. The houses are a little higher than your price range at about $160-170K for 3 br 2 bath. We have a great school district, we're on the Williamson County side of Spring Hill. We are about 20 minutes away from a great farmers market, but there are also some organic farms where you can go pick up produce and such that are close by. There is a family about 1/2 mile away from us that sells fresh eggs...yummy! We are also about 2 hours outside of Chattanooga where there is great white-water rafting. We don't have any bike trails yet, but the city is talking about making a bike trail. There is a trail about 25 minutes away that is fairly remote and unpaved....I can't think of the name of it. I think it's towards Columbia. We are starting to get some bigger stores here. We used to not have anything at all, but since we've moved out here 3 years ago they have built a Publix, Home Depot, Lowe's and Target. It's nice to not have to travel so far anymore. We're also starting to get some restaurants. I would just Google Spring Hill, TN. I absolutely love it here so my opinion is going to be quite biased.
#3 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 01:02 AM

I am from Chattanooga, but live in Asheville, NC now. I moved here right out of high school and love it, but enough about that. Chatt-town is a great town. Lots of good schools. They do have a number of magnate schools. The Ocoee is about 45 minutes away for some whitewater. So many places to hike and bike you can't go wrong. I think it is a great place to raise kids.
~Shannon

~Shannon
#4 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

If you drew a line north from Chattanooga, we probably want to live east of there.

We've been looking into Chattanooga but I looked at some stats and it looks like crime is like double the national average. (?) Does that sound right?

What I really want to hear about is some of the smaller towns that are close (15-20 min) to the larger areas. These are harder to find info out on the internet.
#5 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 PM

I lived up on Lookout Mtn. All the mountain communities are excellent communities. There is Signal, Elder, and Lookout. Missionary Ridge is a good community too.
Cleveland would put you close to whitewater. On the edge basically.

I grew up in Hixson until sixth grade when we moved to the mountain. I loved it out there near the lake.
Good luck.
FYI- My mom is a realtor in Chattanooga. You could always call and talk to her if you want more details. She really will treat you like a daughter. Meaning she will want to help you with information for there and surrounding areas. She won't be pushy about anything. Even if you are not interested in buying a house. But if you are interested, then she can help you there too. It could be a better start for you then me rambling.
email me if you want her information.
~Shannon

~Shannon
#6 of 28 Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM

Are you set on living in TN or would you be open to right across the GA line? There are some affordable areas in the suburbs of Chattanooga, some of which are in GA. The mountains are all very nice, low crime, good schools, etc. but you won't find much in your price range. I would definitely take mountaincaats up on talking with her mother if you're really interested in pursuing the area.

I live in Flintstone GA, less than 2 miles from the TN/GA state line. It feels like the country but we're within 15 minutes of downtown/North Chatt./Northshore area. Good elementary school (my dh is the school counselor :0), decent middle school, not-so-hot high school (but most in Chattanooga aren't unless they're private) My sister lives in Red Bank and bought a nice starter house for a little less than what you're willing to pay. It's very centrally located, but doesn't have great schools from what I understand. Everything in the greater Chatt. area is close to white water (Ocoee). Dh is an avid kayaker and heads up that way or beyond to Tellico, Cheoa, or the Greens about once a week. Also some very local free flow if we get any rain.
#7 of 28 Old 07-13-2008, 12:42 AM

I know you Rachael. We played soccer together and went to school together. I graduated with Melissa. I checked out your picture listed next to your sig. Beautiful fam you've got. Fun to see some Chattanoogans I know on here.
Send some love to Melissa for me.:
Sorry to hijack the post OP.
~Shannon

~Shannon
#8 of 28 Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
If you drew a line north from Chattanooga, we probably want to live east of there.

We've been looking into Chattanooga but I looked at some stats and it looks like crime is like double the national average. (?) Does that sound right?

What I really want to hear about is some of the smaller towns that are close (15-20 min) to the larger areas. These are harder to find info out on the internet.
hm, I don't know about that crime rate. I guess it could be true, but I walk in downtown chatt wearing one baby and keeping up with my 5 y.o. with no other adults and feel very safe. nothing like downtown ATL! I guess there are parts that are sketchy but that's true everywhere.... we're 45 min due south of chatt and go there often. we sell our grits and meal to some restaurants there and keep a membership to the aquarium. love that town!

good luck in your search!

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#9 of 28 Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 PM

I live in a small town called Crossville. When my SO and I moved here, we intended on staying for 2-3 months, and picking out a bigger city in Tennessee to live (we moved here to be close to my parents).

Well, 10 days after we got here, we found out I was pregnant. So we're still in Crossville, staying with my parents until next May. I have taken many trips to some places around here and can tell you what I have learned.

First off, do not even consider Crossville. Its great if you are 60, and want to golf all the time. Or if you are a drug addicted mid 30something redneck who cares nothing at all about providing a good life and good education for your child/children. I honestly do not even know if all of the kids go to school, as during the school year, I see just as many kids out with their parents during school hours as I do now during the summer. Plus, its nearly impossible to find a job in any industry here.

On a better note, we have taken several trips to Knoxville, Nashville, and Murfreesboro. Out of those 3 cities, my choice in places to live is Murfreesboro. The city is VERY new, and most of the schools there look like they are less then 5 years old. Also, it is close enough to Nashville to commute without killing yourself in gas money. I hear great things about the schools there, and have read some really awesome reviews about both public and private schools. Knoxville is nice too, its much older, and bigger and spread out. There's tons of smaller areas of Knoxville, and housing seems to be quite affordable. Nashville is where I have spent the least amount of time, but its bursting with things to do. I don't have much information about the schools in Nashville or Knoxville though.

Also, Gatlinburg and Pigion Forge are quite pretty, and VERY close to Smokey Mountain Nat. Park. It IS based on tourisim, and I am sure it is VERY seasonal. Its insanly beautiful there though. Depending on what type of work you would be looking for, it could be tough to get a job there (of course, right now it seems to be tough to get a job anywhere). If you moved to Knoxville, Gatlinburg/Pigion Forge is about 40 minutes or so away.

Hope this helps you out!
#10 of 28 Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 PM

One note of caution: you do NOT want to live in Murfreesboro if you work in Nashville. The commute is a nightmare.
#11 of 28 Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
One note of caution: you do NOT want to live in Murfreesboro if you work in Nashville. The commute is a nightmare.
Thanks for that info! I have only made the drive (just for visiting purposes), but as far as looking to move there, that information is very helpful!
#12 of 28 Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 AM

We also are looking to move to Tennessee. We visited Franklin and fell in LOVE! It is a little south of Nashville. Small but really flourishing downtown, beautiful topography. It was a little more expensive than we thought...
#13 of 28 Old 07-28-2008, 03:39 AM

I think you might like the Oak Ridge area. Good schools, several state parks within 30 minutes or so (Cove Lake, Norris Dam, Frozen Head), the Obed Wild & Scenic River in neighboring Morgan Co., the UT Arboretum, plus the Smokies are just about an hour-and-a-half away. Real estate isn't too bad either, and you're just a few minutes from Knoxville, for all your "big city" needs.

“Millions of couples suffer from infertility, so why the censored.gif is everyone pregnant but me?”

#14 of 28 Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Well I live in Telford, which is close to Jonesborough, which is the oldest city in TN :P It's pretty country-fied in this area, teh scenery is nice but it's sort of a high allergy area. There is a knitting supply store in Johnson City. Um, let's see. I don't know, it's not too bad here but I've lived here all my life so it seems boring to me. My BIL Lives/works at Oak Ridge.
#15 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 AM

I live in a small town in Tennessee that you would love! I moved to TN from the New England area 9 years ago and I was really nervous about it. The town I live in is perfect for me. I live in Maryville, TN. It is about 20-30 minutes from Knoxville, TN. It is close to the Smoky Mountains National Park, about 30 mintues, where there are all kinds of trails and such. It is 30-45 mintues from Pigeon Forge where there are all kinds of Outlet Shops. The school systems are excellent. It's a beautiful area, the people are nice, and there are homes in your price range in the county area. (The city area can be a little more expensive and have higher taxes.) Maryville was rated as one of the top places to raise a family. It is not extremely rural if you are looking for a town that is mostly farmland and such, but is surrounded by towns like this. I have found it to be the perfect balance between a metropolitan area and a completely farmland area with nothing around.
Check it out. Good luck to you.
#16 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM

i second the "DONT MOVE TO CROSSVILLE!!" Oak Ridge isnt great, but it is close to knoxville. morgan county is where my dh fam is and frozen head is great!! but its about 45 min from knoxville. we are moving back in a few months while dh is in va, he is in the navy and that is where his next orders are. my brother lives and goes to school in johnson city and he loves it. hiking, rock climbing and all kinds of outdoor stuff to do. we are going to be in middle/north part of tn. on dale hollow lake when we first get back. but some of my crazy family are moving up there so we may be forced to move to johnson city with my bro! but i would for sure stick with east tn, its much nicer.
#17 of 28 Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Oh, West TN tends to have more tornadoes than East...my Mamaw lives in Dyersburg (I lived there for a month almost 20 years ago), ugh it's awful down there. Maybe Memphis is better but I dunno.
#18 of 28 Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 AM

i live in a very tiny town called Riceville, It is between Cleveland and Knoxville. I love my little town, its close to the "big" cities if you wanna go shopping (etc) and we are pretty close to the mountains too. Hope you enjoy living in Tn! you should check out ATHENS, and CLEVELAND, also!
#19 of 28 Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 PM

You would probably like Oak Ridge. The schools are rated very high here, it's less than an hour to the smokies, not far from Frozen Head and the Obed, and about 30 min to Knoxville.
#20 of 28 Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincaats View Post
I know you Rachael. We played soccer together and went to school together. I graduated with Melissa. I checked out your picture listed next to your sig. Beautiful fam you've got. Fun to see some Chattanoogans I know on here.
Send some love to Melissa for me.:
Sorry to hijack the post OP.
~Shannon
Hey Shannon, funny running into you here. I'll tell Mel that I "saw" you here. Are you in Chatt. or elsewhere? If you're in Chatttown you should come to the API meeting once it starts back up.
#21 of 28 Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 AM

HEy Rachel,
I am in Asheville. I been here since 96'. Love it! I get to Chatt - town every now and then. My parents still live down the road from Krupski Kingdom and the college.
Take care,
~Shannon

~Shannon
#22 of 28 Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 AM

We live right in the heart of Nashville-- in a thriving and diverse community known simply as East Nashville. We're just on the other side of the river from downtown in an historic and emerging neighborhood. It's like a small town over here, a lovely, supportive community with bike lanes and very pedestrian-friendly. I can walk to the grocery (although I'll admit it's not my FIRST grocery pick, but things are improving!), the library, the elem. school where my daughter will start Kindy in a couple of years, our current daycare, our homemade ice cream place, kitschy hot dog stand, three coffee shops and tons of local restaurants. The neighborhood has a farmers market on Wednesdays and we're only a few miles from the big downtown farmers market. Big-box stores are a nice safe distance away from us-- maybe 15 minutes-- and so thankfully not in our backyards. FABULOUS public library downtown. And we're right next to the Shelby Bottoms Greenway-- miles and miles of paved and unpaved walk/ bike trails along the river.
I grew up in a small town and though there are times I'd love to live in one, I'm so happy with our small town in the big city. LOVE this community.

Mother, Wife, Worker Bee. Mama to Clara (10/05) and Ophelia (12/09)
#23 of 28 Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 AM

Well, I'll be selfish and say move to west TN. I'm from Lexington, halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

Only reason I say to move here though is so I can have a fellow crunchy mama! I feel like the only one. I do have a great ped, she is pro-bf and while she is pro-vax, she is understanding of not vaxing/delaying. She is also current on other important issues like circ, less med intervention, etc. I like her a lot!

As far as farmer markets/organic groceries, stuff like that...well...it sucks. Our "organic" stores end up being nothing more than GNCs and while there are farmer markets, they are few and far between and not organic. The closest grocers are Wal-Mart are some age-old mom and pop places that charge convenience store prices. We have a Kroger in nearby Jackson and it's got a somewhat decent organic section...and I do believe there is a CSA in Jackson, but when I tried to find out about it, it seemed defunct.

We do have tons of trails, lots of lakes, and houses are very affordable.

Overall, not sure where's best, but from my limited travel experience, the East of TN seems the more liberal/progressive/crunchy.

mama to 35 m/o Oscar and Matilda + 3 Harper, Quinn, & Averill
and a hopeful
#24 of 28 Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincaats View Post
I grew up in Hixson until sixth grade when we moved to the mountain. I loved it out there near the lake.
Good luck.
~Shannon
No way!! I went to K and 1st grade in Hixson! Then from 4th grade to 12th at Ooltewah!

I like in a small town an hour north east of Knoxville. I went to school for 5 years in Knoxville and grew up in Chattanooga. My inlaws live in west TN about an hour NE of Memphis. If I had to pick I would totally stay east of Chattanooga! I love the mountains over here...the landscape is beautiful, especially in the fall! Knoxville is a bit on the crunchy side. There is an Earthfare, Holistic moms group, LLL... The school seem to be good also. A nice sized city. You should be able to fund a house in your range.

The area I live in (Morristown) is rural and smaller...Not crunchy here, but I still enjoy it! We are about an hour from Knoxville. Close enough to visit, but away from the 'big city'

Hope you decided and fund a great spot! Good luck!
#25 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post
No way!! I went to K and 1st grade in Hixson! Then from 4th grade to 12th at Ooltewah!
I went to Big Ridge Elementary in K and the 1st two weeeks of 1st grade. Then I went to Bright School. Let's see, that was in like '82? I think. My brother continued to go to Big Ridge.

~~Shannon

~Shannon
#26 of 28 Old 12-06-2008, 05:07 AM

I live in Powell, just outside of Knoxville. I really like it here. If you like whitewater, there are a few nice spots in Townsend (about 45 minutes away from Knoxville).
#27 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM

I love Maryville ..Townsend is very nice too (Blount County).

I second (third ..lol) Oak Ridge. It is very nice.

I live in Knoxville. It's nice, but the crime over the past year has gotten a bit bad. If I could move anywhere with no strings, I'd probably look around the Maryville area.

If you love rafting, I'd look for a town close to the Ocoee (south-easter TN).

Good luck!
#28 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Hi!
We relocated to Tn from Ft Lauderdale Fl last year, after about 1 yr of research we settled in Mount Juliet. About 20 mi east of Nashville. We LOVE IT here! Still kind of rural but all the modern amenities of the suburbs as far as shopping etc. Small town atmosphere, close to Nashville but still far enough away. Very low crime rate, great cost of living, between 2 lakes, 10 min from Long Hunter State Park. Everyone is friendly. There are so many nice places to live in Tn, it's great to ask other people on forums like this, that's what I did too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page