Neighborhoods in Raleigh??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-10-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Raleigh Mommas!
My hubby got a job in Raleigh, and even though we live in North Durham, by the Eno River (which is a beautiful area), it's a bit too long of a daily drive for him. So, being an alternative type mom (extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering/ec-ing, baby wearing, unconditional parenting etc etc), does anyone know of any pockets of other like minded families, or great communities that we might fit into over there? Anyone living in the Leesville Rd/Harrington Grove community and can give me the skinny on it?

We used to live on a really great cul-de-sac in Woodcroft (in Durham) but the house was a traditional colonial and the backyard was too steep (part of the reasons why we moved). We'd love a flat usable backyard and a neighborhood where the developers didn't take down all the trees to build it. And...ideally we'd love a location that's on the West side of Raleigh, not so far from 40, where we can easliy get back to Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Durham.

Any comments you have would be appreciated.
TIA!

Mama to 2 awesome kiddosfencing.gif, 1 dogdog2.gif, 4 catscat.gif, and 6 chickenschicken3.gif.  Occasional dabbler in knittingknit.gif and playing guitarwhistling.giflactivist.gif www.beyondnbirthlactation.com

#2 of 6 Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm not familiar with Harrington Grove, but there are some nice older neighborhoods on Leesville. Have you looked at Springdale? Most were built in 1970s. Lots of mature trees, big yards, great schools (Leesville Rd elem, middle & high) which you could walk to. And no HOA! So you can have chickens and clotheslines and all that good stuff. They also have a community pool. I think most of the "old timers" are moving out and young families are moving in.
#3 of 6 Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 PM

There are like-minded mamas here! Join trianglemommies and join the NL/AP forum. There are lots of us who CD, GD, BW, BF, ect...
#4 of 6 Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brookiesmommy for the recommendation for trianglemommies. I'm having fun getting familiar with it.

Anyone else out there from Northwest Raleigh who wants to chime in? I'd love to hear your opinions about your neighborhoods.

Mama to 2 awesome kiddosfencing.gif, 1 dogdog2.gif, 4 catscat.gif, and 6 chickenschicken3.gif.  Occasional dabbler in knittingknit.gif and playing guitarwhistling.giflactivist.gif www.beyondnbirthlactation.com

#5 of 6 Old 08-15-2008, 06:50 PM

Leslie! We lived in Raleigh for about 4 years before moving to Chapel Hill. We lived in "pleasantville" (our name for it, not the actual neighborhood name)definitely not crunchy by any stretch of the imagination, but there were certainly neighborhoods we liked and would be totally great to live in.

Give me a call sometime and let's get together and talk about Raleigh. A and O can play together.

L

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#6 of 6 Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM

Leslie:

Consider also talking to Janet B. about it. I think they lived in Raleigh for a good long time.

Hope O, M, K, & P are all well!

L.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page