Homeschool groups in the Raleigh area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a mother of a 5 year old and 2 year old, and we recently decided to not start our 5 year old in Kindergarten. He will more than likely start next year (as a young six) in Kindergarten or possible 1st grade, in public school as private is out of our budget.

I have several friends that homeschool but they are all involved in "their own thing" and while I've heard of groups in the area, I am at a loss as to how to find/contact them. I emailed the NCHE today so hopefully I will have other leads.

Really in need of a supportive group, preferably one that is familiar with special needs (my son has SPD) and is secular. My son comes from a background of a Waldorf-inspired preschool (past two years) but this year is not in preschool. Instead, he is taking swimming lessons, tae kwon do, and scouting on the side. I have the Handwriting without Tears curriculum but am meeting with some resistance since he has low muscle tone and has been holding pencils incorrectly since toddlerhood.

Would like to meet regularly, unschooling is fine but we do a lot of it already, it would be nice to have a somewhat structured activity at least one morning a week.

All suggestions, guidance would be appreciated!
#2 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 04:51 PM

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but a friend participates in this group (her kids are 4 and 7) and really enjoys it:

Homeschool Explorers

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions from folks in Raleigh.
#3 of 8 Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM

A few ideas: The Homeschool Gathering Place is off Glenwood Avenue. They are nice folks who are probably pretty well connected.

You may want to check out this NC Gifts which is for folks hsing sn kids: http://www.giftsnc.com/

If you are a conservative Christian, there's a loop based in Raleigh for you called spiceline....

the Cary Homeschoolers has a big active inclusive group, so if you're on that end of Raleigh it might work: http://www.caryhomeschoolers.org/
#4 of 8 Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to report back that I visited the Homeschool Gathering Place today, and wow, what a wonderful resource!

I also met someone the same day you posted about Homeschool Explorers so I am going to attend their next meeting next Tuesday.

Off to check out the website for GiftsNC to find out where/when they meet.

Unfortunately, I live 45+ minutes from Cary so the Cary Homeschoolers are not an option.

Thanks everyone!
#5 of 8 Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM

So are you in the north Raleigh area? I have an almost 5 yo and I'm involved in two different preschool co-ops, both are AP-friendly. If you are still looking for resources please PM me, I can share what I know.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#6 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Marta,

Did you ever visit Homeschool Explorers? If so, what did you think? I'm curious about their group.
#7 of 8 Old 09-14-2008, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymommy View Post
Marta,

Did you ever visit Homeschool Explorers? If so, what did you think? I'm curious about their group.
You should check them out! I only went once but I'd like to go back. Alexander called it a "fun place" and has asked to go back. The hours are odd (11-1) followed by optional outdoor playground time (1-3), smack in the middle of lunch and for us the start of nap. All ages, a group of about 20 kids from age 3-18. I liked the way the organizer picked activities that would engage kids and parents alike. Some of my favorites: We sat in a big circle, someone started a story and threw a beanbag to another to continue the story, and so on. We stood up and keeping our hands linked, sent a hoola hoop around the circle and back again. Put a king size sheet on the floor, asked everyone to stand on it, get off and folded it in half, everyone back on it again, get off and folded it in half again, everyone back on it, and so forth until the sheet was a small 2' x 4' rectangle and the older kids had the younger ones on their shoulders. We liked it, just wish it wasn't at lunch time. My 2 year old especially kept asking for snacks so I am not sure that the meetings will work for us.
#8 of 8 Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
So are you in the north Raleigh area? I have an almost 5 yo and I'm involved in two different preschool co-ops, both are AP-friendly. If you are still looking for resources please PM me, I can share what I know.
PM'd you! I'm in the NE part of Raleigh but can travel to North Raleigh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page