Pumping at work and the law - question for NC moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought some of the experienced nursing moms might know the answer to this already - I do not. A childbirth instructor in Charlotte that I know was asking this question:

Quote:
One of my students is having a difficult time finding a comfortable and private place to pump when she returns to work. She will be going back to work about 8 weeks postpartum so she will be pumping several times throughout the day. So far she has been offered the pantry which is used for meetings frequently and not very private and the bathroom, where she will have to sit on a little wooden bench near the showers. Does anyone know according to North Carolina laws what does the workplace have to provide in this regard? Those options are not desirable for this mom, for obvious reasons. If nothing else is offered or provided what would be her recourse?

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 PM

I'm sorry to say that NC has no legal protection for breastfeeding mothers in the workplace.

There are materials out there designed for mothers to share with their employers, talking about the bottom-line benefits of supporting breastfeeding mothers (fewer sick days, etc.). Maybe on the LLL website? I can look around if you want, or she can contact LLL in Charlotte--there are a lot of good leaders there.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks pinky. I'll tell her to contact a local LLL leader.

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.

User Tag List