Need info on hillsborough NC neighborhood - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH found a cute house in Hillsborough for sale...but it's so cheap, that I'm suspicious of the neighborhood! Is anyone familiar with Faucette Mill Road?

Thanks, mamas!

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm in Hillsborough and I do not know that neighborhood but I'll try to find out about it for you.

How inexpensive is it? Houses here tend to start at 150,000 (considered very low) and up. Houses in town (historical area) can be very expensive.
#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Uh, yeah, it's $47,000, and on over an acre of land. From what I've heard so far, it is not a great part of town--apparently the sheriff is over there quite a bit!

Thanks, mommyoftwo!

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 AM

Yup, I just figured out where it is. It is typically considered the bad part of town (if Hillsborough really has one). But even houses in that area aren't that cheap so it must be in really poor shape.

Keep looking! Houses here are a bit slow to sell right now so you'll find a good deal. Let me know if you come across anything-I'll gladly do a driveby and check it out for you.

There are a couple of houses for sale in my neighborhood but we aren't really within walking distance to downtown (only two miles away but not a good road to walk on). Eventually we will be getting a greenway that will be accessible from our neighborhood to the downtown area. Our neighborhood is a great mix of smaller starter homes and larger ones but not tons of acreage our lot is 1/4)
#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM

yes, unfortunately, mommyoftwo is right, not the best part of town. I'd be suspicious of anything priced that low. We're just west of historic district and a 2 BR 1000-1500 s.f. millhouse sold in June for 178,000. Given the economy, you might find similar for cheaper esp if things are sitting a long time. West Hillsborough, a bit further west probably still has some good buys and has an active neighborhood association from what I hear. good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas. We really aren't financially ready to buy property yet, but dh likes to look, and that one was so cheap, I figured it was worth finding out more. We'll prob. stay where we're at (Durham) for now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page