Job market in the Raleigh area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone able to give me a general idea on the job market in the Raleigh area? DH and I are considering moving there next spring/summer and we are looking for general info. The market where we are stinks and we've heard that Raleigh is still a decent job market depending on what you do for a living. DH is looking to get back into golf so his market is very limited and not something most people have insight into, but I do accounting/finance work so I am a lot more open. I know a lot can change between now and then, but any input would be appreciated.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#2 of 4 Old 10-12-2008, 04:11 AM

Pinehurst is more golfy than Raleigh. Some great courses there. I don't know anything about Raleigh as far as jobs though.

We just came from NC in case you're wondering about my sig

Wife to awesome Army guy, mommy to DD1 lady.gif 7/11/07 and bellycast.gif one on the way this October!  Planning for a  hbac.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 AM

It's hard to say really, but we've had better job markets than the rest of the country for a long time. However, our unemployment is currently higher than the national average. Some think it is because a lot of people move here with no job because they hear it is a good job market.

There were some really big corporate layoffs that made headlines last week: Glaxo laying off around a thousand and Sony Ericsson laying off over 400. But I don't know how that affects your or your DH's job opportunities directly.

It's definitely a better idea to have a job before you come, but I know that is not always possible.
#4 of 4 Old 10-12-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Where we move would really depends on DHs job since his is a lot more specialized than mine. He would have a job before we moved, but I might now. Job listings for his job will start to appear soon so we're looking around now. We're considering Raleigh partly to be closer to family and partly b/c I really like it there. We just know that we need to get out of where we are and are weighing our options.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page