Learn to make your own Molasses tomorrow Asheville/madison county - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-18-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I soo wish I could go to this, but it's too far for us. I thought I'd share it though, b/c its so cool!

Slow Food October Event:

Traditional Molasses Making

Sunday, October 19, 2-5 pm

$4 donation per person, kids free

Double Tree Farm in Madison County

Space is limited to 25 people

Please call Eve Davis, 626-3486 to reserve a space

or email info@hawkandivy.com

Enjoy the peak of October’s color as you join us for an old fashioned mountain tradition of fall sorghum molasses making! Andy and Cathy Bennett have invited us to their beautiful draft horse powered organic farm to learn the process of making molasses. This is one of our mountains’ true historic food specialties. If you have never tasted fresh organic molasses, you are in for a real taste treat. It is rich and creamy and full of vitamins and minerals.

We will learn about the entire process from growing and harvesting to grinding and syrup making. Those who want to go early to see the entire process starting at 8 am may call the Bennett’s, 689-3812. Everyone is encouraged to bring biscuits, cornbread or bread for tasting the molasses. Please bring your own water to drink. Their spring is struggling due to the drought.

There will be organic molasses for sale.

Directions: From Asheville take I-26 west. Take Exit 11 (Mars Hill). At the end of the ramp turn left onto highway 213. Proceed thru town and thru the college campus. Go approx 4 miles on 213 and then at the bottom of a big hill turn right onto Petersburg Road. (This is marked most of the time. It is also right across from Coates' Country Store.) Go 1.3 miles and then veer left at the Center Community Center (which is in the center of the road). Go another 2.5 miles, cross a little bridge, and turn left onto our road, Cargile Branch Road. Go .8 miles and turn left into our driveway. A good landmark is the bright colored horsy "barn quilt" on our barn.

Parking: After turning into our driveway park along side the driveway in the field. Pull over to the right side of the drive first. (We will have a sign marking where to park.) Walk past the house and then you will see our "sugar shack" on the right, sort of behind the house.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page