asheville - where do you/partner work???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm lobbying my husband to try to get him to move to Asheville (we're currently in the Bay Area of California). But when I look on craigslist or online job sites, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of jobs....

So I'm just wondering, how do you guys support yourself there? We are open to a career change potentially or doing something like opening a business...but I maybe I'm just missing something....do you have a retail job and can you survive on that?

FWIW, my H has a PhD in Economics but has been in industry so he doesn't have "research" that could get him a job at the university. He would probably be a good candidate for teaching at a community college or the biz department at a university - and he would be open to doing adjunct work.

I am a video producer who is now a SAHM and I'm not looking to go back into the field...I'm a bit more flexible and am thinking about fundraising or maybe transcription as a career choice...or starting some kind of business.

So what are the best careers for folks in Asheville? What is there a demand for?

tia
peace,
robyn
#2 of 5 Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM

We're a town that survives on the tourist industry. So most jobs don't pay crap There are also TONS of people who want to live here, so the demand for finding jobs is higher than the demand for workers, unfortunately. Which makes wages go down quite a bit, even for teachers, builders, etc.

I run a daycare (there's ALWAYS a need for childcare), and sell thrift store finds on ebay, as well as any odd jobs I can find to make ends meet.

there are lots of jobs for builders here or anything in the construction industry, though they don't pay that much (when my ex moved here he took a $10/hr pay cut for the same job in framing).

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#3 of 5 Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Hi! I grew-up in the Bay area.

I'm not really up with what the demand is in way of employment/trade here in WNC, but I will say (and I'm sure other transplants here have heard it themselves), is that it can be all about connection and "who you know."

That said, we moved here from the west coast (northern California - southern Oregon) four years ago. Hubby had sold (in Oregon) and bought a FedEx route here in Asheville, and still has it and employs someone to run it, and this is our job security.

Secondly, through his grapevine of friends, he landed an Electronics job, which is his trade, and this is his 9-5 job. On top of this, he's a working musician and plays most weekends. I'm a stay at home/work out of the home Mom.

Hope this offered a little insight, Robyn.
#4 of 5 Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks that's very helpful! So it looks like an option *might* be to think of a business to start there to provide more services of some kind - not sure what yet but I have some ideas....guess I need to do some more research!
peace,
robyn
#5 of 5 Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Definitely the tourism/restaurant business. Still, if your husband can teach that's a niche that they need people in. Also, since you are into production you would be interested in knowing Asheville has an annual film festival that is generating lots of talk now. It's been going on several years and they hope to bring it to the level of Sun Dance. Though you don't want to get back into it, it may be a fun arena to consult in or volunteer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page