Looking for mamas that deliver @ Mission in Asheville - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I delivered my last at Park Ridge, but my midwife has since switched to Mission. They say they allow water births, but I was looking at the pictures and it appears that they have a water birth in one room and then transfer to another?

Just curious of the atmosphere there, how they are with a more "natural" birth and someone refusing main stream baby treatment, etc. The rooms look nice and clean and I've heard good things from the main stream people that I know, but I'd like to hear the other side as well.

Thanks!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm...I dont know if I can help much, but I had two births at Mission. My last one was 6 years ago, and although I didn't have a water birth, I was unmedicated with no interventions. Everyone was on board with that, and didn't try to steer me otherwise. I was progressing fast b/c I waited at home until I was in transition so they had no choice but to follow my lead, I suppose. LOL
They were also very helpful and considerate of my breast milk only rule. Although everytime the nurse would come in and I would be napping with my baby, she would pick him up and put him in the little bassinet beside me. I would just get up and put him right back in bed with me and continue our snuggle time.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Oh, I also wanted to mention, after thinking about it some more...you will deliver in the water birth room but then a few hours later be moved to the mother and baby floor. Everyone is switched to a post natal room after they give birth at Mission, but the rooms are nice!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM

I delivered at Mission in June 2007. I had a pretty good experience, no interventions during labor/delivery that I didn't want. They were a bit pushy about the hep-lock, but I agreed to it because I had vomited multiple times while in transition. I was in one of the "water world" rooms, but didn't end up using the tub, because my labor was so intense that I didn't think of it. I'm pretty sure they're fine with water birth, because my MWs had some pics in their office of a water birth that they did at Mission.

All women transfer after they have their baby from an L & D room to the mother-baby unit. The rooms are nice, but you do have to specifically request a water world room to get the deep tub to labor/deliver in. There are only 4 water world tub rooms, but not many people request them, so hopefully you wouldn't have a problem getting one.

I have to say my biggest complaint about Mission is there (lack of) nursing staff and LCs. I needed big-time help to get BFing started and I didn't get it. I had to come back for an out-patient appt. with an LC the day after I discharged from Mission to get additional help with BFing.

As for additional stuff and interventions for the baby: we allowed eye drops and Vit. K shot, but declined Hep B. It was surprisingly easy and no one gave us a hard time.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Mission!

Just out of curiosity, who is your MW?

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

I'm using New Dawn. I used them with my last, too, but that was when they delivered at Park Ridge. I had an awesome water birth there. Hoping for the same at Mission if all goes as planned.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM

Does New Dawn operate out of Asheville? DH and I want to have another baby in a couple of years, so I really like to hear about people's experiences with various midwifery groups. I used Mahec midwives for DD #1 and I wasn't entirely satisfied with them...

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, they're on Charlotte St. I love them. They have a web site if you want to check them out, it's new dawn midwifery (without the spaces) and the usual dot com. They take several forms of insurance and Medicaid. They do have a back up doctor if needed, but the only time I saw him with my last was when I needed my ultrasound. I assume it'll be the same this time unless there is an emergency. Though if using Medicaid, he doesn't accept it so ultrasounds would be done at MAHEC.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecombs View Post
Does New Dawn operate out of Asheville? DH and I want to have another baby in a couple of years, so I really like to hear about people's experiences with various midwifery groups. I used Mahec midwives for DD #1 and I wasn't entirely satisfied with them...
I wasn't satisfied with MAHEC either. Everything pre-natal was fine but my midwife was sooo hands off. She didn't help but once. Looking back it's very disappointing.

User Tag List