Best places to live in Va Beach area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have it narrowed down to these cities.

Va Beach
Newport News
Norfolk
Chesapeake

Looking for an AP friendly neighborhood if any exist
We want the most house for our money. I've been on craigslist and checked out some areas via google earth.
It seems the areas near Newport are less expensive.
We arrive in 3 weeks, and my hubby is heading down there this week.
So any help would be greatly appreciaited.

mama to my two girls 12/04 5/07 and #3 due in May/June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM

I no longer live there but grew up in Kempsville in Va Beach. I say look at Va Beach and Chesapeake.
Lynda
Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM

I think some areas in Newport news can be kinda rough. Hampton has some good areas but also some rough areas as well. VA beach probably has some of the nicer areas, but it's also most expensive. Norfolk you kind of have to pick and choose, but there are some nice areas there as well. I used to live there in that area, in Hampton and in Norfolk, and if I had to chose I'd stay in Hampton. I think I could find a nice place in a decent neighborhood and the best price. I love it there, I want to move back.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I live in Chesapeake. I love it! My folks live in the Great Bridge Area of Chesapeake and I live closer to Suffolk...which is less expensive than Great Bridge. We bought our house almost 5 yrs ago for $218.000 (2,258 sq ft/ 4 bed/2 1/2 bath). House now are going closer to $300.000

What are you looking at spending on a house?
How many beds/baths?
How many children? Ages?

I can see what I can do to help.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Virginia beach or chesapeake. I can recommend a good pediatrician too if you need one. He is in suffolk. I live in Kempsville in Virginia Bach and moving to Strawbridge....I really, really am liking the community out in strawbridge/lagomar areas. They seem the most open minded that i have come across so far. It is also close to fun stuff like the aquarium, the "country" (Pungo) where you can go berry picking, and a couple of farms like Hunt club where the kids can see different animals and play with them. kempsville can be a little stuffy imo. Salem is a nice, family friendly area too. i get the feeling the green run area is goind down the tubes, although if you get the right neighborhood in green run, you can find a house relatively cheaply. I grew up there and it is NOT as bad as people make it out to be, at least not all parts. PM me if you'd like, I've spent 19 years of my life here!!!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Dh and I haven't lived here that long...2 yrs, but we both really like it. We rent, and will probably be leaving soon since dh is leaving the military. We live in th hilltop area of va beach and it is very crunchy friendly from my experience. There's a fresh market, trader joes (just opened yesterday ), kmart, target, TONS of restaurants & shops. Very close to the interstate and not a long commute to get to other cities which is great since I work in Ches. & dh stationed in Norfolk. Lots of people walk or bike in my area and theres the bus too if you're into that. In my opinion homes seem pretty expensive here, but we've never bought and are from butt-country SC where everything is cheap . Be careful where you choose because even though every city has it's sketchy areas some cities have more than others. Good Luck
Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

We ended up in VA Beach. We love it here. We are in the Mount Trashmore area.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 PM

I know this is old but we are moving there next summer, and looking at VA Beach too. Any info on camps, pediatricians, homeschool stuff in the area?

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

There is a Norfolk Homeschoolers Yahoo group. AP Virginia Yahoo group. We have not been to the Dr for the girls yet since we've been here. DD will be 5 next month, so I'll start looking for a Ped to take her too and a dentist.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 AM

i have dr gregory at lakeview pediatrics. i really, really like the practice although I am considering switching to another practice with the birth of my new baby, just because of the distance (I am in Va Bch and he is in suffolk 45 minutes by car) and me not having a car right now. My midwife recommended a doctor who is homebirth-friendly so I will be checking that practice out soon.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

45 mins is quite a ways for us to drive. Could you message me the name of the practice here in Va Beach?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM

We are moving, too, in mid-March. We will be in the Hatteras area, due to my husband's job transfer, and seeing that he's been unemployed for some time, we're going wherever he can find work. I understand that folks from the Outer Banks tend to drive north into Va for shopping at malls, using a large airport, etc. Looking forward to getting to know birthing women/families in the whole area.
Karen of BirthTender
Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 AM

I'm in Suffolk. Most of my AP mommy friends live in Hampton. Good luck with your move! If you need any help just send me a message.

User Tag List