Pro-VBAC OB @ Prince William or Fair Oaks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please Help! I'm about 8 weeks pregnant with #2 and planning a VBAC and need to find a new OB near Bristow, VA.

I really don't think I'm comfortable with an out of hospital birth. I'd like to find a provider who delivers at PW or Fair Oaks. Any recommendations? What about PW vs Fair Oaks? A friend recommended Dr. Louie-Ng and Tepeyac- not sure if the catholic vibe would be a good fit. I've also heard that Dr. Tchabo is recommended but that's a bit further away.

Had an appointment this morning w/ my current OB/midwife combined practice and the doc said "acog lets us go to 42 weeks but we don't see any benefit in letting you go past your due date. either the baby's going to come or its not." That paired with the fact that should I have to have a RCS their surgical assistant is not in network (and therefore not covered w/ my insurance) has my mind made up to switch practices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Hi there, I live in Bristow and have been seeing the Prince William OB/GYN practice in the building attached to PW Hospital (though I'm switching to a home birth midwife). It is a practice of 5 women OBs. According to Dr. Kang, one of their OBs, the practice offers VBAC. I didn't delve into the details of that since I have not had a c-section, so I don't know whether they offer it meaningfully or just on paper, but if you are set on a hospital birth and want the convenience of a practice close to you, you might check them out. I can tell you that Dr. Kang told me that they strongly prefer everyone to deliver by 41 weeks, though they will "let" people go to 42 with extra monitoring after they "try to talk you out of it." I will also say that I did not like Dr. Josephs AT ALL -- she seems very high-strung and overly interventive. Whether getting her would prevent a VBAC, I don't know, but just in the interest of full disclosure. Honestly, the best way to maximize your chances of a VBAC is to birth outside a hospital, but barring that, PW does not seem like a terrible hospital, as hospitals go. They tend not to be crowded, which is always helpful in terms of being given enough time to labor.

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Tepeyac is wonderful. Don't count them out because of the religious affiliation. Honestly, other than the pictures of Mary and the crosses in each exam room, they've never addressed religion with me. HOWEVER, I am Catholic and would be OK if they did. But they are not trying to "win souls for Jesus"

I had to have a section with baby #1 and they did everything possible to avoid it. I'm 28 weeks preggo with baby #2 and they are VERY encouraging and supportive of a VBAC. And Fair Oaks Hosp is supposed to be one of the better area hosp for an unmedicated birth if that is the way you want to go. PM me if you want more details.

User Tag List