Eye Prophylaxis laws in KY - Mothering Forums

Eye Prophylaxis laws in KY

mmswife's Avatar mmswife (TS)
01:39 AM Liked: 0
#1 of 5
06-30-2009 | Posts: 14
I will be having my first baby in about 7 weeks. The hospital has told us that it is law for my baby to receive the eye prophylaxis. They could not show me the law on paper. I have also not been able to find this law.

I know many states, or perhaps all, have laws regarding this. I also know that many mommas find loopholes though. From my understanding, in some states, it is law that the hospital offer it but not law that the mother allows it to be administered.

When I questioned the hospital I was told it was law and CPS would be called if I did not allow it.

Does anyone know where I can find the law? I want to see it for myself before I allow an unnecessary intervention be performed on my son.

Thanks!
Fruitful4Him's Avatar Fruitful4Him
02:05 AM Liked: 12
#2 of 5
06-30-2009 | Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmswife View Post
I will be having my first baby in about 7 weeks. The hospital has told us that it is law for my baby to receive the eye prophylaxis. They could not show me the law on paper. I have also not been able to find this law.

I know many states, or perhaps all, have laws regarding this. I also know that many mommas find loopholes though. From my understanding, in some states, it is law that the hospital offer it but not law that the mother allows it to be administered.

When I questioned the hospital I was told it was law and CPS would be called if I did not allow it.

Does anyone know where I can find the law? I want to see it for myself before I allow an unnecessary intervention be performed on my son.

Thanks!

I have a similar understanding of the law... I am sorry that I can't seem to locate it at this time, (evansvillle, in. here). I think they are blowing smoke but I understand you don't want to hedge on this. I am suprised they threatened you with CPS simply for asking about it though. I was a Doula for a wonderful family where one of the parents worked for CPS. Trust me..they have bigger fish to fry than parents who don't consent to things like this. I would ask them, (whomever is threatening you), to produce proof of the this law. There is NO LAW that manadates parents must accept these procedures, only that they be offered. Stay strong when you are speaking with them. If you waiver they will push, push, push and lie through their teeth on this. BUT you have the power to accept OR decline any treatment for yourself or your baby. ((hugs)). If you contacted the Kentucky Midwives Association maybe someone there would have a copy of the law. I wish you the best. If you are close enough, come check out the Evansville BirthNetwork. Our next meeting is August 11 and is on Informed Consent/Informed Refusal.
Pepper44's Avatar Pepper44
09:38 PM Liked: 40
#3 of 5
07-02-2009 | Posts: 2,095
I had my baby at a hospital in Lexington and we declined the vit. K and the eye ointment both. They treated us like we were the worst parents ever, but we ignored it and they didn't administer either of those things. I think we printed off a form declining each one and signed it and had our CNM also sign it and took the forms with us to the hospital.
Fruitful4Him's Avatar Fruitful4Him
09:55 PM Liked: 12
#4 of 5
07-02-2009 | Posts: 679
I want to add... I would advise that you do NOT let your baby leave your sight for the duration of your hospital stay if you decline these things--EVER. If baby needs to go to nursery for any reason I would request to take baby yourself and have them do it in arms or very closeby. I had a mom tell me that she declined vit. K and Hep B yet baby returned from nursery with needle marks and no charting/documentation of anything being done.
reducereuserecycle's Avatar reducereuserecycle
12:22 AM Liked: 5
#5 of 5
07-03-2009 | Posts: 2,909
i think this is where you can have the "religious exemption" come into affect....you tell them it is against your religious beliefs and they may be less likely to question that then if you just tell them you don't want to the eye drops, etc.
Reply Subscribe Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky