Waterbirth in Louisville, KY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of hospitals or birthing centers near Louisville, KY area that allow waterbirths?

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM

If you want a waterbirth in Louisville you'll have to have a homebirth. There aren't even any cnm's in Louisville. You have to go down to bardstown or up to jeffersonville. There is one direct entry midwife here in Louisville since it is illegal in Kentucky (which is ridiculous in my opinion). If you want a waterbirth that is your best bet. If we have anymore that is the way I am going! Neither bardstown nor jeffersonville allow waterbirths in their hospitals.
#3 of 6 Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Momma View Post
If you want a waterbirth in Louisville you'll have to have a homebirth. There aren't even any cnm's in Louisville. You have to go down to bardstown or up to jeffersonville. There is one direct entry midwife here in Louisville since it is illegal in Kentucky (which is ridiculous in my opinion). If you want a waterbirth that is your best bet. If we have anymore that is the way I am going! Neither bardstown nor jeffersonville allow waterbirths in their hospitals.
Lil'Momma,
Thank you so much for responding. It is unfortunate that there aren't any CNM's in Louisville! We might try to wait to move to Louisville until after our second baby is born since that is the case. I had a great waterbirth experience with a CNM at a hospital and would like to do the same for #2 if possible.

Mama to DS 7/23/08.
#4 of 6 Old 07-22-2009, 01:09 AM

You can find local birth info at www.birthcarenetwork.com for the Louisville area. Good luck, Hope
#5 of 6 Old 08-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Clark Memorial in Clarksville, IN has tubs that you can labor in but do not permit water births. Why??? No idea.

There are 2 midwives that are in Louisville that will do waterbirth but as it was mentioned, DEM technically practice illegally (best I can understand) but YOU would not be breaking any laws by using them as long as you are ok with aiding someone in breaking law, if you even see it that way. (Law is all kind of gray, really.)
#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 AM

chiming in here to ditto what everyone else is saying.

There are two great homebirth midwives here in Louisville and various others who can and do come to Louisville if/when needed.

I had an amazing waterbirth (HBAC) in March of 2008.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page