Moving to Charlottesville, VA summer 2010??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

My family and I are most likely moving to Charlottesville, va next summer after dh finishes grad school. We have 3 kids 10, 7, and almost 5. We had been homeschooling until we moved to Erie, pa last year. They currently attend a small montessori school here. We would like to continue with a montessori school or something similar.

What I am interested in is knowing about neighborhoods(in the city and outside the city), schools, etc. and anything else that might be important to a newcomer? Family doctors ok with not vaxing??

Thanks,
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM

I can't be much help. We've only been in the area a year, and live about 50min north of c'ville, and my daughter is not school age.

There may be docs closer that will be flexible with vaxes, but we go to Madison Primary Care (in Madison, a bit north of c'ville) and see Jill York. We do spaced selective vaccinations and she has been totally fine with it.
#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 PM

We've only been here for a year too, so I'm just starting to learn about the different areas (since we're house hunting!). You can can pm me if you want specific info and I will try to be as helpful as possible.

Dr. Greg Gelburd is a family doc that my kids go to. His office is in the downtown area of Charlottesville and he is vax (delayed or no) friendly.
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM

you might contact the midwives at Mountain View Midwifery.
http://www.mountainviewmidwives.com/
Or connect with the local Birth Matters Virginia chapter
http://birthmattersva.org/charlottesville/
Both would be good resources for finding like minded families.
#5 of 5 Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Second for Greg Gelburd at Downtown Family Healthcare -- in my experience, all of them in that office are alt-vax friendly. Another good one is Bruce Campbell (a little bit west of town)

There is a Montessori school here called Montessori Community School that is toddlers up to 8th grade. There are also some Montessori preschools. There is also a PK-8 Waldorf school.

The Charlottesville city schools have a good reputation, especially Greenbriar Elem. and Venable Elem. The high school is consistently ranked high on national lists. I don't know much about the surrounding Albemarle County schools, except that the western Albemarle schools have a good rep. (the areas where the white wealthy people live, not surprisingly...diversity often means not very good reputations, in my experience as an educator).

This is a fabulous town!! You'll love it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page