Need a Pediatrician that accept Medicaid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-12-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to find a pediatrician for my son that accepts Medicaid. There is no list or anything for me to go by. I just have to call random doctors and see if they accept it. I have been making calls all day, and no one accepts Medicaid....??

So please, if anyone knows of any pediatrician in the Northern VA area that accepts Medicaid, please let me know.

My son is due foor his 9 month shots in 10 days.

(We had Kaiser b4)
#2 of 4 Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Welcome to MDC!!

Many of us here don't do well-baby visits on the recommended schedule. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone here who vaccinates according to the recomendation either. Mothering tends to lean towards holistic healthcare.

First off, you have a choice of which vaccines to do and when. There's no magic 9mo cut-off for them. You can do individual vaccines if at the local health clinic if you must. Your WIC counselor may point you in the right direction. You have the power here. Don't limit yourself to a pediatrician unless there's a major health issue that you need to deal with in your child.

What I would do is to find a good dr. that you love and work out a cash payment deal. Do you have access to a naturapath? Your local tribe here could help you find one. I've worked out 75 dollar well-child visits with mine and it's well worth what she gives me. She's a wellness teacher more than anything. She empowers parents to take care of their childs wellness, not just deal with sicknesses. We only do every 6 month visits up to 2 years and then every year or so after that. I can even call and have a conversation with her about any issue that worries me and I never feel weird about it.

Use the medicaid for emergencies and leave the other stuff to the dr. of your choosing that you love. There's nothing worse for your self-esteem as a mother than calling around trying to find someone who'll take you and then feeling like a peice of trash when you take your child to thier office. When I was on medicaid, I waited 2 hours once in the office of the only dr. who would see me. So, I know where you're coming from. But, if you can afford fast food a few times a month, you can afford a naturapath. I wish I had known about them before. I'll never go back to a pediatrician. Any pediatrician who you can find who can afford to see you only can do so because he double or triple books his clients. It'll mean a long wait and a quick visit.

Stick around MDC! I've learned so much in the last 5 years I've been here.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 4 Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM

Welcome!
I moved this thread to your area of our Finding Your Tribe forum.

#4 of 4 Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM

If you really are wanting to get the shots, can't you go to the health department or clinic? When I was vaxing my children, that is where I always took them.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page