birth in bowling green - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am just wondering if anyone has had their baby(ies) in bowling green. i am thinking about having a birth at the medical center attended by leigh lindsey cnm. i am trying to set up a consultation with her so i'm looking forward to that.

i'm not even pregnant yet but i want to plan ahead.

anyway can anyone tell me anything about how mom/baby friendly the hospital is? or about any other birth options in the area.

thanks in advance! :
#2 of 25 Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

I had my baby at the Medical Center in BG about 2 years ago. One of the great things about the Medical Center is the skin to skin policy they have adopted. Right after birth they wipe the baby off and then hand it to you to feed. I was able to nurse my newborn just minutes after birth. It was great!
#3 of 25 Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri03 View Post
I had my baby at the Medical Center in BG about 2 years ago. One of the great things about the Medical Center is the skin to skin policy they have adopted. Right after birth they wipe the baby off and then hand it to you to feed. I was able to nurse my newborn just minutes after birth. It was great!
thanks! that is good to hear. can you tell me also, did they want you to have the electronic fetal monitor and IV, or did they let you move around freely? and do you think they would have an issue with us keeping our baby in the room with us? anything else you can tell me about whether or not they encourage normal birth or not? thanks again!
#4 of 25 Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM

I've lived in BG my entire life and gave birth to my first son at the Medical Center - a c/s due to unreassuring fetal heart tones. I do not feel that they have very baby friendly policies, nor do they encourage natural, normal birth - very medically managed - lots of Pitocin, continous "required" EFM, IV, and no rooming in unless someone is awake w/baby at all times, birthing on your back w/feet in stirrups only, no laboring in water.

I had my second DS at home with a TN midwife - a VBAC. I would be happy to send you her info - she was wonderful and came to my house in BG for all prenatals and the birth.

I tried unsuccessfully to find an OB that would allow me to VBAC. I know nothing about Leigh Lindsey since she wouldn't take me on as a patient due to the VBAC. I think, from my inquiry of her as a provider, that she does not necessarily attend your birth if you are her patient - she is in rotation with other OB's. She is the only midwife in the area.
#5 of 25 Old 09-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Forgot to add - Medical Center is the ONLY L&D ward in an 8 county area, since Logan Memorial and Greenview closed theirs in the last few years. It was very packed the night I gave birth and the friends I know that have given birth there have sometimes had to wait a long time before going to the PP room b/c someone else had to leave first.

If you are not comfortable w/homebirth, I would recommend traveling to Northcrest Hospital in Springfield TN - they are only a 45 min drive from BG and much more mama/baby friendly. That was the backup OB/hospital for my midwife.
#6 of 25 Old 09-27-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much SarahKat! what you wrote is kind of the impression i got just from the medical center's website. blech. i was worried about whether or not leigh lindsey would attend the birth, just because i found out in owenboro there are zero midwives that attend births. i am still planning to do a consultation with her sometime soon. thanks for the info on the springfield hospital! another option i have is the owensboro hospital but i don't know much about it either, other than that there website is a lot better than the medical center's! so now i can add that to the list because the distance is about the same as to owensboro.

i would absolutely love a homebirth so i want to keep that as an option. the problem is that i do not think my insurance would cover that so i'm not sure how that would work out. but it is definitely something i want to research! i feel like it would be worth any extra $$$ in the long wrong but we don't have a lot of money currently...

if you could give me your midwife's info that would be wonderful! email would be great, stefanie.estes@yahoo.com , just because i'm not really sure yet how to check my messages here on mothering...

thanks again, i really appreciate this info
#7 of 25 Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM

yes the medical center does not allow you to have your baby in the room with you if you are sleeping as a policy. I slept with my baby in the room. When they opened the door I woke up -- like any regular person would. Plus, what are they going to do if a woman who just spent X hours in labor falls alseep while her baby is in the room??? Remind you and move on I would guess.
I tried to do most of the laboring at home and got to the hospital fully dilated so there was not a lot they could hook me up to so I don't have any info on that area. If hospital birth is your only choice and the medical center is you only choice I would talk to your doctor about what exactly you want -- if your dr. allows it the hospital should comply. But with the limited choice of local Hospitals it sounds to me like you should try and do all you can to be able to have a home birth.
#8 of 25 Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri03 View Post
yes the medical center does not allow you to have your baby in the room with you if you are sleeping as a policy. I slept with my baby in the room. When they opened the door I woke up -- like any regular person would. Plus, what are they going to do if a woman who just spent X hours in labor falls alseep while her baby is in the room??? Remind you and move on I would guess.
I tried to do most of the laboring at home and got to the hospital fully dilated so there was not a lot they could hook me up to so I don't have any info on that area. If hospital birth is your only choice and the medical center is you only choice I would talk to your doctor about what exactly you want -- if your dr. allows it the hospital should comply. But with the limited choice of local Hospitals it sounds to me like you should try and do all you can to be able to have a home birth.
thanks kerri. i think i am decided. i think i'm going to birth at vandy with the nurse midwives... unless my insurance ends up getting much worse and making hospital birth cost as much as homebirth which will be very sad but looks possible because they are reducing our benefits and upping our premiums

of course with the nashville plan, i have to drive for an hour. which makes it harder to labor at home for a while... hmmm... still not decided obviously
#9 of 25 Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM

There is a GREAT new doc at TJ in *******, Christy South - very mother/baby friendly. There is also a homebirth midwife that serves Bowling green...
#10 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 PM

I understand the concerns with the Medical Center. It is overcrowded but like someone already said... the skin to skin contact is great! On the other hand, Leigh Lindsey is great!! She is a wonderful nurse midwife who truly cares about her patients. I would recommend her to everyone looking to utilize a nurse midwife!
#11 of 25 Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to the last 2 posts! sorry i haven't checked for a while. =) i actually just got a recommendation for Dr. South in ******* and i think i'm going to really look into that. =)
#12 of 25 Old 12-19-2009, 02:37 AM

hmm -- have you considered the farm in summerville, tn? (ina may) if you are an hour from vandy that is definately driving distance. they do births there still. just an idea.
#13 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauri456 View Post
hmm -- have you considered the farm in summerville, tn? (ina may) if you are an hour from vandy that is definately driving distance. they do births there still. just an idea.
thanks! i am actually north of nashville & it's almost 3 hours to the farm. i wish it was closer!!!
#14 of 25 Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM

Can anyone pass on the info for homebirth midwives or docs serving the Bowling Green area?

Thanks!

Orthodox Christian and deacon's wife; Mom of two girls and expecting again. Homeschooler, babywearer, homebirther.
#15 of 25 Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 AM

Kimberly Spencer, CPM is in Nashville, there are a couple others I haven't met yet. You could check the Tennessee Midwives Association website www.tnmiwives.org the other alternative, is a hb midwife who does western kentucky...PM me and i can give you her email addy...it might save in gas what you would need to pay her with...
#16 of 25 Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemWife View Post
Can anyone pass on the info for homebirth midwives or docs serving the Bowling Green area?

Thanks!
If you want to email me, I can give you some ideas :-) Traceyky at gmail dot com
#17 of 25 Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 PM

I'm meeting Leigh this week.

Are there really no birthing centers anywhere near us? Does anyone have any suggestions for someone on Medicaid?

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#18 of 25 Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Reyasmom View Post
I'm meeting Leigh this week.

Are there really no birthing centers anywhere near us? Does anyone have any suggestions for someone on Medicaid?
Silly Me. I've been playing phone tag with them for a month now. I just got an appt for mid April. I'll be 17.5 weeks by then. I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I'd love to hear other suggestions or options.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#19 of 25 Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 AM

hey id be really interested in finding out more about the midwife you used I'm pregnant with my second and went thru a c-sec at the medical center with my first I'm really looking for a different option this time

#20 of 25 Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Cynthia, did you ever find a midwife?  Im looking now and know of two of them for the bowling green area

#21 of 25 Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM

If you are looking for options in Bowling Green and have facebook, check here https://www.facebook.com/groups/123488504345004/669185773108605/?notif_t=group_activity Babynet has over 1,000 moms with a variety of opinions, you can likely find the best fitting care provider option for you there. Opinions range from "I'm pregnant! When can I schedule my epidural and OH I love doc so and so" to I'm pregnant! What care provider will be happy with 42 weeks, waterbirth, and I do as I wish within safe bounds" and from "I want the hospital 5 minutes away" to "I'm driving to the farm""    :-)

#22 of 25 Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Are there any homebirth midwives serving the bowling green area?
#23 of 25 Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Sure are.  I think you've already got a connection on this thread  :)

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#24 of 25 Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM

In the bowling green area. Not 100% sure just yet but will find out soon.
Sincerely,
A maybe soon to be mother smile.gif
#25 of 25 Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM

ICAN of Bowling Green is having a home birth panel and discussion tonight.  Sorry for posting so late:

https://www.facebook.com/events/168454769994004/

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page