Whole Child pediatrics in Ashburn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use them? I'm looking for a ped and who's ok w/non- vaxing families in the Leesburg/Ashburn area. We are moving there in March...any suggestions?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#2 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM

We've been w/ them for about a year. They do take non-vaxers. I just had to sign a form which I had no problem w/. Some doctors deal w/ the non-vaxing issue better than others but none have really forced the issue.

Have you called them to see if they're taking new patients? When I signed up w/ them, we got in only because I had a newborn. They have gotten a new doctor (whom I like...I think her name is Dr. Ghee?) so that may have changed.

I've heard that Dr. Ma (an FP...don't remember the practice name) is open to non-vaxers but that was discussed in a homeschool situation so I'm not sure about gov't school attending kids. I think he also works w/ another practice and focuses on traditional Chinese medicine.

- Kim
#3 of 16 Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 AM

Hi. I just took my daughter there for a 2-month check-up, hoping to meet come across some open-minded ped services. Coming from Madison, Wisconsin is a big switch. I was never questioned for anything I did there with my older 2 children.
At her out-of-hospital birth, my daughter did not receive the Vit K shot, eye ointment, or Hep B. She also did not get a PKU test.
The doc I saw seemed to be in shock of the Vit. K and ointment, and said they usually do that at the clinic if the baby didn't get it - my child is 2 months old and this would be absolutely pointless. They said that I was putting my baby at risk for hemophiliac diseases for not getting the Vit K, which is a falsity. When I explained why I chose not to do these things (i.e. no need for Vit K unless child is male to be circumcised for clotting purposes, antibiotic eye ointment only necessary if you have syphilis....) she totally changed her tone and realized I knew what I was talking about and didn't question me for anything after that. They also informed me that they would not see her again unless she got the PKU test.
Needless to say I was let down by the staff at Whole Child. I do like that they don't push vax, but would expect a little more knowledge about other unnecessary routine practices.

BUSY CD-ing, BF-ing, cosleeping, non-vaxing Mama to Joey (07/05/07), Therese (10/17/08) and Vera (01/03/10)!
intactlact.gifcd.gifsaynovax.gifchicken3.gif
#4 of 16 Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM

Adya - Do you remember the name of the doctor you saw? I'm just wondering if it's the one that tried questioning my non-vax decision. Also...if you're interested, we have a local FNL group (in Winchester) that's full of homebirthers, non-vaxers and the like. PM me if you're interested. :-)

WC is far from perfect but it's soooo hard to find a ped. who takes non-vaxers. We drive an hour to WC simply because I couldn't find any non-vax friendly peds.

Last note that I have to say for anyone who might read this and think the PKU isn't important....the PKU is the only reason a friends daughter is not severely retarded as it discovered a rare but serious issue that would not have presented itself until irreversible damage would have been done. It's the only "medical" thing I recommend WRT birth/newborns.

- Kim
#5 of 16 Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your input! I took my son to WC and it went ok. My son is 6.5 and unvaxed. He probably has OCD and/or something spectrum-y...and I was looking for somewhere to have him evaluated and somewhere we can find therapy for a feeding problem that needs to be addressed. The Dr did not ask about vax'ing though I sensed she was on the alternative side of conventional. I have been through the wringer on many occasions w/my kids over many issues w/many drs and I can say I didn't feel threatened by this Dr. SO I would recommend WC to anyone who needs to see a non-threatening conventional Dr for whatever reason

Now we have an appt at Ashburn psych services w/Dr. Wong.....hmmmm.....anyone heard of her?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#6 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 AM

We go to Dr. Kodu at Penguin Pediatrics, mostly because Whole Child wasn't taking new patients when we moved to Ashburn about a year and a half ago. The founder of the practice, Dr. McDonald, has retired. I get the feeling that she was crunchier than Dr. Kodu. We do selective/delayed vaxes, and we haven't had to fight about that at all. The practice's policy is basically to do the Sears delayed vax schedule. We skipped Hep B when my daughter was born, and we'd planned to delay that until she's a teenager. At our last appointment, though, Dr. Kodu was sort of pushing to get her fully vaxed by 2 years old. Still on the delayed schedule, but more and faster than what we'd intended.

Is Whole Child taking new patients now? We got on a waitlist there well over a year ago, and we never heard anything back.
#7 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi all - I just found this and am thrilled to connect with mom's in this area. I am pregnant with my first child ... and I am pretty sure the Dr. Ma you were referring to is Dr. Felix Ma who I work with at Integrative Family Medicine Center. I actually haven't talked with him about the vaccine question before since he works primarily with adults in our practice. Dr. Martha Calihan (also at our practice) does work with infants and I believe she supports a modified schedule ... though she is usually very supportive of choice by her patients so she may be open to non-vax as well. Our practice does not work directly with insurance though so you have to pay out of pocket and try to get reimbursed.

There are so many things to think about - I've barely begun! I am scheduled for my 8 week visit with Loudoun Community Midwives and I am going to go and see how it feels, but I have a feeling a home birth may be a better option for me. Do any of you know of midwives who support home births in Clarke County?

Thanks and I'm so happy to connect with you all!

Beth
#8 of 16 Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 PM

Absolutely wonderful! I have taken my teenage daughter to see Dr.Guruswamy for over a year now and we absolutely love her. She carefully listens to all our concerns and gives much great advice. When my daughter had to go on a daily medication, she was very careful about what type of medication and dose she prescribed and continues to follow up with us to make sure my daughter doesn't have any harmful sides effect. Dr. Bunger and Dr. Chamberlain are also great, my girlfriend's young children have been seeing them for many years and she absolutely love them and the whole staff is also very nice and they really like kids.

#9 of 16 Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM

We really like it there- though I've only taken my daughter there twice. The first time she was sick and the second time for a normal check up. I was really impressed with how many things they looked at during her physical and how they talked to her. I really felt that they us both, and I'm going to keep them as our pediatric practice for the new baby. They didn't give us any problems over not vaxing, and I hear they're really supportive of extended breastfeeding!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#10 of 16 Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 AM

We go there. They are nice & helpful and never are judgy with me. We don't vax. And rarely go to the well visits. :)

#11 of 16 Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM

I contacted them when we moved out here about taking us and my new baby (not yet born when i contacted them).  I told them i did not vaccinate and they told me they did not want to see is if we did not vax.  Plain and simple.

#12 of 16 Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 AM

I spoke with the receptionist last week about getting our soon-to-be homebirthed baby there. She was kind and helpful on the phone, but when we went to visit the office and check out the office I brought up some of the same questions again and was told flat out by one of the nurses/doctors that if we didn't give the babe vitamin K at birth then they would not allow us into the practice. We will probably be giving vitamin K, but I didn't like the flat out refusal of service. We left at that point (and I'm sure they were happy about that!).

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#13 of 16 Old 02-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We don't vax either and they just had us sign a paper. BTW, you may want to check out homefirst.com on how to waive vax's.

Although, I didn't know that about the Vit K shot... probably b/c we got it at the hospital. A friend in AZ later told me that the Vit K shot has all that other "junk" they put in vax. *grrr* But, I never did verify that...

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#14 of 16 Old 02-19-2011, 08:44 PM

I don't know what it is about WCP but there is such a wide variety of experiences.  We just signed a release form for not-vaxing and they never even asked about vit. K.  However, this is not the first time I've heard of someone being turned away for no vit. k. (though, first time I've heard of someone being tuned away for no vax...wondering if it was during the time of a few doc turnarounds).

- Kim
#15 of 16 Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 PM

We didn't get vit K for our son and they would have refused service (and almost did; they did the newborn exam and it was during that exam we were told we *must* get it).  I was not in a good place to look for a different doctor and sort of felt strong-armed.  TBH, though, when I'd inquired about the newborn exam when DS was still in utero, she'd expressed that they'd want/require vit K was well as eye drops.  So we said we gave him the eye ointment ;)  But we couldn't give a vit K shot...  This was Dr. Bunger.  We had to buy it at MediCap(?) pharmacy and they gave it to him.  DD (eldest child) was born when we had Kaiser, and the Kaiser doc was semi-OK (though not thrilled) that she'd not had vit K.  Interestingly, Dr. Bunger was w/ Kaiser way back.  Anyway, we transferred to WCP when she was a month old and the lack of vit K was not an issue for them.  I believe b/c it's something viewed as helpful for the early weeks, most especially?  Should we get pregnant again I'd definitely consider looking for a different ped/practice.  Though we love them for many other reasons.  Mostly, very caring doctors.  Even w/ this vit K issue; they really think it's in the child's best interest, of course.  thankfully they're not pushy w/ other vax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

I spoke with the receptionist last week about getting our soon-to-be homebirthed baby there. She was kind and helpful on the phone, but when we went to visit the office and check out the office I brought up some of the same questions again and was told flat out by one of the nurses/doctors that if we didn't give the babe vitamin K at birth then they would not allow us into the practice. We will probably be giving vitamin K, but I didn't like the flat out refusal of service. We left at that point (and I'm sure they were happy about that!).

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#16 of 16 Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 PM

We go there and like it. We do the Vitamin K because they said that is all the require and not being pushed on vaxxing was worth it to me.

We love the doctors, but the nurse practitioner there didn't seem to get the memo about the clientele they attract. She made me feel like crap for homebirthing and when we asked questions when we were sent to the hospital for jaundice, she wrote in our chart that she wanted CPS to keep an eye on us. Our doctor saw it at our next visit and erased it out.

I love that Dr. Bunger sings our praises for not circing everytime we go lol

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page