Preschool recomendations - Lexington - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'd been wanting to hs, but DH has me somewhat on-board with preschool and kindergarten out of home. (Let's leave it at that...I could really get into it...)
We're actually in Nicholasville, but right on the border of Lex. LO (and myself )just might be ready to go next fall. But, I'd really like some Waldorfy-type place. I like the Waldorf mentality, but avast! cannot afford such a thing. And do not like it being so strict - our home certainyl wouldn't pass the no-plastic-toy criteria that I've heard of. But, I like the play-centered, child-led learning, the emphasis on natural materials and gentle interaction.
Who else has LO's possibly going to preschool next year? Let's discuss!

BTW, we're new to the area (from VT). We'd love playdates with similar aged sweethearts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Welcome! My personal recommendation is always the Co-op preschool, particularly the branch at the UU church on Clays Mill.

Great program and teacher, child-driven and hands on learning, lots of direct parent input and involvement since it is a co-op program. I know several of the early childhood professors at UK have put their own children into the program in the past. For Lexington, a fairly diverse group of students and backgrounds.

Plus, being a co-op, it is less expensive than many others.

http://www.coopschool.org/

Although my daughter is only a year-old, I have worked with the program in the past and have recommended it to several of the current families there, who are now huge fans.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Hey--what about a montessori school? There are several around here. No need to explain about HSing...it seems to actually be more common to use traditional school around here (even the mothering crowd!).

How old is your child? I have a 3 and 4 year old. Send me a message if you'd like to play sometime.

User Tag List