Just got fired, need a new ped in Louisville area. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,
It's been a while since I have been on the boards here, but I really need help now so I'm back! Went to the Pediatrician today and they asked us to sign the AAP form for not vaccinating and I refused. We have been going to this office for four years now and they have asked us to vax everytime, but never pushed. Dr told me that their policy changed and they will only keep us if we sign that form. If you are familiar with it you know it is not something I want to sign. I offered to get a different form saying that I refused the shots but they said the AAP one or we have to part ways.
SO, I need a new pediatrician in Louisville who will accept us even though we don't vaccinate. Hopefully one who will not just tolerate us, but respect our decisions. Anyone know any docs like that in Louisville? We don't see the dr alot but my youngest has mastocytosis and so we need to have a dr who can be familiar with his condition.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer, mom to Joel , Duncan, Celia, and Aidan. Wife to Nathan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennkraig View Post
If you are familiar with it you know it is not something I want to sign.
I am not familiar with it, why is it not something you want to sign

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#3 of 23 Old 04-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I am not familiar with it, why is it not something you want to sign
Quote:
This form varies somewhat from state to state but basically it is a total propaganda sheet about the alleged value of vaccines, the alleged "risk" of not vaccinating and, even worse, the parent who signs the form is falsely "admitting" that they are putting their children at risk.
http://www.vaclib.org/legal/donotsign.htm

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#4 of 23 Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Oh, and OP. I just pulled this from another thread. I am in almost the same boat as you. I haven't been fired yet, but I will be once I reveal I am no longer going to VAX, so I need to start calling places.

"There are several peds/family practice docs who are fine with no vax/delayed vax, in Louisville:

Dr. Chris Berkhahn, Metro Pediatric Associates
Dr. Wendy Daly, Brownsboro Park Pediatrics (I don't know if she's okay with no vax, but fine with delayed vax)
Dr. Richard Hefner, Baptist Medical Associates
Dr. Laura White, Future Hope Pediatrics (Shelbyville)
Dr. Shelia Guelda"

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#5 of 23 Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 AM

If you don't mind making the trip across the bridge, there is a Family Practice doc, Adam French, MD, in Charlestown (10 minutes into IN) who is perfectly fine with non-vaxing. He used to attend homebirths. Pretty decent guy.
#6 of 23 Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM

We go to Laura White. We've really liked her so far.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 23 Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 PM

Dr. Sheila Guelda at Springhurst Kid's Doc is fabulous!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#8 of 23 Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 PM

We went to Dr. Corba in New Albany when we lived in Louisville and he was great.
#9 of 23 Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM

hey there. we live in louisville and take our kids to Dr laura white in shelbyville.
we don't vax.

But, we do have to sign a form (well, maybe we don't...i have never thought about refusing....)

are there any docs in this area who tolerate non vaxers AND don't make you sign forms????

would love to know. please someone tell me if you are familiar with any that meet this discriptiion.
#10 of 23 Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
interested in this also as we may move to lvl from lex in a year or two

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#11 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I think by law or for insurance they have to have you sign. I don't see it as a problem, it's just CYA for them, if they get vaccine available diseases we can't sue them since they offered and warned us. That said, we only really go the first month, simply say no we aren't vaxing, he nods and says ok, and we keep the number on hand in case they need a doctor (haven't yet except one time for x-rays of a bruised bone). Oh our doctor is Dr Wampler at All Children Pediatrics.
#12 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 PM

JamieCatheryn,

Have you been to the Dr. recently? I know two people who have been fired from All Kids in the past 6 months for not vaxing. We know a lot of people who just kind of keep a doctor "on retainer". It seems like people have been able to keep their doctors until they need to go in for something. When they go in, they sometimes get a letter in the mail a few days later stating that if they dont vax, then they are "terminating the doctor/ paitent relationship".

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 23 Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM

That has been the experience of many of my IRL, non-vaxing friends as well.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorabelle View Post
Dr. Sheila Guelda at Springhurst Kid's Doc is fabulous!
I agree. I found her name off this forum and she didn't ask any questions when I said we stopped vaxing. She just asked which ones my daughter did have. She is very nice and helpful too. And she asked where I had heard about her. I said "Mothering Forums" I think she knew once she heard that I probably chose her because of her nonvax status.

#15 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmine View Post
hey there. we live in louisville and take our kids to Dr laura white in shelbyville.
we don't vax.

But, we do have to sign a form (well, maybe we don't...i have never thought about refusing....)

are there any docs in this area who tolerate non vaxers AND don't make you sign forms????

would love to know. please someone tell me if you are familiar with any that meet this discriptiion.
Dr. Guelda did NOT make me sign anything (or even ask me to)

#16 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM

i am just going to HAVE to check out Dr Guelda then... i might just make a well visit for my oldest since he hasn't been a long time...to see if I like her...

so , really? you mean she really will see my kids and respect our decision not to vax AND not have us sign forms?

sounds to good to be true but boy am I excited at the sound of it!!
#17 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 05:11 PM

I've never been asked to sign anything from Dr. White, but maybe its b/c DD is so young.

SIDS happens. 

#18 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 PM

I've been told Dr. French in Charlestown, IN is really great... but to see him you'd have to cross the river.
#19 of 23 Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmine View Post
i am just going to HAVE to check out Dr Guelda then... i might just make a well visit for my oldest since he hasn't been a long time...to see if I like her...

so , really? you mean she really will see my kids and respect our decision not to vax AND not have us sign forms?

sounds to good to be true but boy am I excited at the sound of it!!
I know, crazy, right? lol She said "Do you have a shot record for your daughter?" Nope, we're not doing shots. "Okay, has she had any shots" Yes, and told her which ones. "Alright then."

#20 of 23 Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Just subbing here. Always on the look-out for understanding doctors.
#21 of 23 Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM

I just wanted to add that I had to go to the ER this week and Dr. Guelda was the ER doc on staff at Baptist East and she was so awesome. I told her that I'd read great things about her here and she seemed to know she has a good rep here at MDC. She had great bedside manner, and was awesome to deal with.

We ♥ Dr. White, and Im not even thinking of leaving her office, but Dr. Guelda rocks!

SIDS happens. 

#22 of 23 Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Well, I just had my daughter's one year checkup at Dr. Guelda's office and was told asked by a new doctor in the practice if I planned on vaxing. I told her no and she said their new policy is that Delayed Vaccination is okay, non-vaccination is not. And that if my daughter didn't have some, even just one shot, by 15 months that we would have to find a new doctor.

I explained that I specifically picked Dr. Guelda because of her open-mindedness about vaccinations. She said "Open mindedness, yes, but non-vaccination is now a legal issue. We could be sued if your child gave something to one of our other patients."

Soooo, I am in the market for a new no-vax doc in Louisville that accepts Passport.

#23 of 23 Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post

Oh, and OP. I just pulled this from another thread. I am in almost the same boat as you. I haven't been fired yet, but I will be once I reveal I am no longer going to VAX, so I need to start calling places.

"There are several peds/family practice docs who are fine with no vax/delayed vax, in Louisville:

Dr. Chris Berkhahn, Metro Pediatric Associates
Dr. Wendy Daly, Brownsboro Park Pediatrics (I don't know if she's okay with no vax, but fine with delayed vax)
Dr. Richard Hefner, Baptist Medical Associates
Dr. Laura White, Future Hope Pediatrics (Shelbyville)
Dr. Shelia Guelda"

Okay, so I called Dr. Berkhahn and he cannot take Passport patients unless they are newborn.
 Neither can Dr. Hefner.
 And since you said you weren't sure how Dr. Daly did with no vax, I didn't call.

I am waiting to here back from my insurance company to see if Future Hope Pediatrics has any openings for my insurance. But I just mapquested it and it's a 37 mile drive from my house!  yikes.gif But I called and verified that she is FOR sure taking nonvaxxed kiddos.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page