Waterbirth in Charlottesville? low-intervention-friendly OB recs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moving to Charlottesville this summer & due w/my 1st in November. I'm considering homebirth, but was wondering if waterbirth was permitted at Martha Jefferson (I know it wouldn't be @ UVA). Or at least laboring in a tub?

Also: any OB recs? Heard good things about Donna Vinal, CNP, but my chances of getting in with her seem low. Also seems like people like Dr. Thiagarajah and Dr. Wills, but their office said you can't choose any one doc, that you have to rotate through all of them... which is just a little weird.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Welcome to C'ville! And congrats on your pregnancy!

To answer your questions, no you can't do a waterbirth at Martha Jefferson Hospital. They will allow you to labor in the tub, even if your membranes are ruptured. I've not attended a birth at UVA but I heard they are fairly mom-friendly.

With regard to the OBs, if you go to a practice that has more than one doc, you are going to need to cycle through all of them because you won't know who will be on call when you go into labor. And even then it could change. I attended my friend's birth in Feb. and she used Jefferson OB/GYN. We we got to the hospital, Dr. Heider was on call but by the time she ended up delivering, it was Dr. Owens.

When you get to Charlottesville, you should come to the Birth Matters Birth Circle. We meet on the 3rd Monday of the month at 7 PM and you will meet other preggo mamas as well as doulas and mamas that may have just delivered. PM me if you want more details.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I will definitely plan on going to the meeting. I'm disappointed about the no waterbirth policy, but at least they allow laboring in the tub. (I'm moving from Columbus, OH, where the hospital covered by my ins doesn't even allow that!)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Most OB practices are what Annie says- you cycle through them all. I went to MJH with Jefferson OB on my first birth. Dr. Ownes (great, but not taking new patients) was my doctor, but Dr. Arnold was on call with me. I happen to have a professional relationship with the practice, but still- Dr. Arnold was great. He labored with me for hours. I mean HOURS. I remember his face through transition. I remember holding his hand. And I did labor in the tub.

This time (I have a baby due in November, too!) I am planning a homebirth with Mountainview Midwives. They are getting a new midwife in November, so they may still be taking new patients for that month. I know this is an old thread...

I would LOVE to come to Birth Matters. I can't because I work one day a week- Mondays.

Aimee wife to Matt Mama to Asher (4) and Ari (Due 11/6/10)
Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi-

I know this is a very late post for this thread. Did you end up delivering at Martha Jefferson? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts on your experience? I'm trying to decide between Martha Jeff and Augusta Health. You can PM me if you would be more comfortable with that.

Thanks!

Laura

User Tag List