School Enrollment and Exemptions in Virginia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, VA mamas. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll be enrolling my daughter in kindergarten this fall. I see they require both a physical and a vax form. I will just submit a notarized vax exemption and expect no problems with that but can you do that for the physical form? It is against my beliefs to take a healthy child to a germy doctor's office just to have a form filled out. Anyone had success in this area?

TIA!

Single Mama to my sweet boo.
#2 of 5 Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 PM

I had a vax exemption for my oldest from the state we lived in previously, and had no problem with enrolling her in school. Her physical paperwork was completed by the doctor's office, and a copy of the exemption was included/sent to the school.

I don't know of many doctors that will assume the liability of signing off on a physical form for a child they have not examined, so I would ask.

Mom to two lovely girls, 4 and 3. SAHW/M in need of sleep.
#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 PM

That's a tough one. You could call the school and ask if there's an exemption for physicals but I have never heard of it. We always filed a vax exemption for our kids when they were in public schools. If your child has been in the office in the last year, a lot of drs will fill out the physical form w/o having to bring in the child. It's really kind of a joke, if you ask me. They pretty much just weigh then and measure them, in my experience.
#4 of 5 Old 06-26-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....okay thank you. I would not ask a doctor to sign off on the form, I'd just want to submit it empty and say, thanks but no thanks. As a general rule we don't do doctors if we're not sick. I guess if I decide to go the school route I could try an exemption and see what they say. I don't understand the whold physical thing to attend school anyway.

Single Mama to my sweet boo.
#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
Hi, VA mamas. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll be enrolling my daughter in kindergarten this fall. I see they require both a physical and a vax form. I will just submit a notarized vax exemption and expect no problems with that but can you do that for the physical form? It is against my beliefs to take a healthy child to a germy doctor's office just to have a form filled out. Anyone had success in this area?

TIA!
See http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/virginia.htm There are religious exemptions in the state of VA. The school may give you a hard time because the school wants more funding. The more vaccinated kids they have enrolled the more federal/state funding they get. Do not allow people to give you "the bad mom" speech. Stand your ground and do not let them waiver on your right as a parent. You can e-mail me if you want for more information.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page