VBAC's in Kentucky? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the climate for them hospital or homebirth in Kentucky?

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM

Terrible. I was told in Louisville "once a C always a C"

I had my VBAC in West Virginia at a small Catholic hospital. Don't know where you are located, but PM me if you'd like more info.
#3 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am not currently living there but there is a possibility of around the Lexington area so I am feeling it out.

Resistance is futile Matey
#4 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM

There are certainly OB's and midwives who support it. I don't specifically know of any hospitals that do not allow it at all. All of the homebirth midwives do VBAC's to my knowledge.
#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM

I'm in Louisville, and am planning my 2nd HBAC in August.

We don't have tons of options, but we have some. Both the Louisville and Lexington areas have both VBAC supportive homebirth midwives AND hospital-based providers (though I strongly feel that your best bet is at home)

Check out www.icanoflouisville.com for some additional information.

www.birthcarenetwork.com and www.baby-moon.org
#6 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM

Just had my vbac at norton suburban hospital in louisville and it was great! My obs were aog located at the hospital I really liked dr boyd who thankfully ending up delivering me. Never once during labor was the posibility of a c section mentioned. Even though my water broke at 33 weeks and towards the end when they began the pit the nurse gently explained the drs reasoning and took her time with me. When we got here we told them we wanted no drugs and as hands off as possible. They were great never once did they ask if I wanted drugs( untill I did with the pit at 8cm, they even made sure that's really what I wanted) I was only cked when I asked to be. The nurse massaged my perinium and guided me trough pushing till the dr had to come in. The only 2 complaints I have are 1. I couldn't walk arround but it was because she was a premie and up very high in my pelvis they were afraide her cord would slip past her head and prolapse. And 2 they didn't let me eat for like 2 hrs after and I was starved! I was ready to gnaw my own arm off and pretend it was a chicken leg, lol! I felt really good about birthing here and comfortable knowing they have a leval 3 nicu just in case. Lucky since mine was a 33 weeker. Also they have a ronald mcdonald house that I am so blessed to b able to stay at to maintain exclusive breastfeeding. The staff is super supportive and I am so thankful for that. They sugested at one point suplimenting with ebm because becca is not gaining but one great nurse sugested pumping a bit before I feed her so she can get more of the fattier hind milk. She knew I was uncomfortable with the bottles! So all in all I'd say there is a chance in louisville and for me I am so happy I got my vbac at suburban.

candi 27, mom of 3, mj 10, juje 4, becca my 33 weeker 7/2/10
#7 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 PM

I'm in the Louisville area ... It seems that the best chance is across the river @ Clark Memorial. There's an OB office that employs two CNMs that attend births over there. There's also an OB that attends VBACs at the University of Louisville's teaching hospital.

Baptist Hospital East has a VBAC ban. I think that's the only one that specifically prohibits VBACs, though?

K: Wife to C, Momma to C (2/20/08) & A (11/7/09)!
#8 of 9 Old 07-12-2010, 10:06 PM

For homebirth things are great VBAC wise, unless you are in far southeast KY like I am, and there are no midwives regularly attending homebirths. Hospitals... that's a little trickier. There are some docs in Lexington and Louisville attending them. I know the miwifery teaching school in my part of the state sends their VBACs to UK Hospital, which is 3 hours away. ICAN has a database of hospitals that allow, have bans, and de facto bans. That might be helpful.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Actually Baptist East does not have a ban on VBACs.  I'm a patient at Women First, who only deliver at Baptist, and they allow VBACs.  I'll be trying for one in early Feb 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page