Moving to Lexington - alternative school? other alternative resources? - Mothering Forums
Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky > Moving to Lexington - alternative school? other alternative resources?
ejg123's Avatar ejg123 10:21 AM 09-07-2010
So, it seems likely that we may move to Lexington and we would love to know of a private (or public) school that takes a holistic, non-directive, laid back approach to education. Or (generally not heavily religious) home schooling cooperatives? Our ideal would have been Waldorf, but there isn't one in Lexington as far as I can tell. I appreciated the thread on doctors for non-vaxing families. Also if anyone knows of home birth midwives in the area, that would be great to know of too. Heck, any information on natural living, attachment parenting-ish sort of things.

Thanks!

Acacia's Avatar Acacia 12:20 AM 09-09-2010
Check out Mother Nurture or Baby Moon for great resources. There are a few montessori schools in the area. I know providence is one that I hear great things about.
SlinginSage's Avatar SlinginSage 06:30 PM 09-14-2010
The three options I know of for homebirth midwives in Lexington ate Candace Robinson, Sarah Hood, and Karen Brown. We used Candace, and absolutely loved her. I very highly recommend her! You do have to book her pretty early in your pregnancy, though, because she's quite popular, and she'll only take a certain number of moms a month.
SlinginSage's Avatar SlinginSage 06:33 PM 09-14-2010
Oh, and we'd love to have you in our babywearing group (whether or not you have a baby heehee)! We meet 2nd mondays at 11:30 in Baby Moon.
Mackenzie's Avatar Mackenzie 09:37 AM 09-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinginSage View Post
The three options I know of for homebirth midwives in Lexington ate Candace Robinson, Sarah Hood, and Karen Brown. We used Candace, and absolutely loved her. I very highly recommend her! You do have to book her pretty early in your pregnancy, though, because she's quite popular, and she'll only take a certain number of moms a month.
Oh so there are MWs here... We are not actively planning a baby but I have been looking into things and I would never have fathomed the birth laws here (from WA where Medicaid even pays for MWs/HBs)... had been leaning further toward UC because of the legal issues
goodheartedmama's Avatar goodheartedmama 02:57 PM 09-21-2010
ditto Candace...she's wonderful! We're part of a secular home schooling co-op. http://www.my-bhlc.org/index.html``
provocativa's Avatar provocativa 02:09 PM 09-23-2010
okay, bhlc is not secular. they meet in the quaker meeting house, which is in a former church and so has a sanctury like a church, and when i went there for the open house, there were bible verses on the wall and crucifixes! to me, that is not secular at all. no, you guys don't teach religious subjects, but you are not secular if attendance requires that the kids see that stuff on the walls, and be subjected to the atmosphere of a church. we homeschool, and really wanted to belong to a truly secular cooperative. we have found that the local yahoo group, homeschool support, to be very helpful, and have found group classes and meetups through it. can't remember if it's bluegrass hs or lexington hs support. also, providence montessori is religious- hence the name providence. there are other montessoris, community montessori is one whose name i remember- they have a beautiful new facility, with space for a huge garden, but they have a waiting list and it's expensive. there's a few other montessoris, but i can't remember the names. there are some more hippie-ish homeschool moms around, so i would think that you could get a waldorf-inspired group going, no problem- there is a community room at the health food co-op, and the libraries have rooms, too. i enjoy the waldorf philosophy, but my kids are older than those of my hippie friends- and we do plenty of dirt and art, but tend to fall short on math;]
Pepper44's Avatar Pepper44 06:17 PM 09-23-2010
We go to bhlc too. It meets in a different church now. I never considered the things on the walls. Aside from that there is no religion, no praying or anything like that. My 4 year old DD is taking art and preschool play group there. She loves it.

We also used Candace and love her!!

I didn't know there was a babywearing group. I need to come, I could use help with my wraps!
ejg123's Avatar ejg123 04:56 PM 09-24-2010
All of this is really helpful, especially to know of the midwives.

Also so happy to know of the secular (mostly, it seems) homeschool co-op.

It seems to me like Providence Montessori was started with the help of Catholic sisters, but it doesn't appear to me that it is still explicitly a religious school. Does anyone here have any direct knowledge of that? They don't mention it anywhere on their website.

Thanks everyone! I hope we are able to move to Lexington within the year!
goodheartedmama's Avatar goodheartedmama 12:38 PM 09-27-2010
BHLC IS secular. It meets in a church because there aren't many other options for meeting spaces for homeschool groups. I think it's pretty silly to get all up in arms because there are bible verses around you. Ignore them. It has nothing to do with the homeschool group whatsoever, and it's just kind of odd to not be able to accept it. They're certainly not teaching bible verses to the children.
peachymum's Avatar peachymum 07:49 PM 07-03-2014
Are you moving to Lex KY or VA?

We're moving to Lex VA in August and have been asking the same questions around that area...
Up