Moving to Lexington - alternative school? other alternative resources? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, it seems likely that we may move to Lexington and we would love to know of a private (or public) school that takes a holistic, non-directive, laid back approach to education. Or (generally not heavily religious) home schooling cooperatives? Our ideal would have been Waldorf, but there isn't one in Lexington as far as I can tell. I appreciated the thread on doctors for non-vaxing families. Also if anyone knows of home birth midwives in the area, that would be great to know of too. Heck, any information on natural living, attachment parenting-ish sort of things.

Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 PM

Check out Mother Nurture or Baby Moon for great resources. There are a few montessori schools in the area. I know providence is one that I hear great things about.
#3 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM

The three options I know of for homebirth midwives in Lexington ate Candace Robinson, Sarah Hood, and Karen Brown. We used Candace, and absolutely loved her. I very highly recommend her! You do have to book her pretty early in your pregnancy, though, because she's quite popular, and she'll only take a certain number of moms a month.
#4 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Oh, and we'd love to have you in our babywearing group (whether or not you have a baby heehee)! We meet 2nd mondays at 11:30 in Baby Moon.
#5 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinginSage View Post
The three options I know of for homebirth midwives in Lexington ate Candace Robinson, Sarah Hood, and Karen Brown. We used Candace, and absolutely loved her. I very highly recommend her! You do have to book her pretty early in your pregnancy, though, because she's quite popular, and she'll only take a certain number of moms a month.
Oh so there are MWs here... We are not actively planning a baby but I have been looking into things and I would never have fathomed the birth laws here (from WA where Medicaid even pays for MWs/HBs)... had been leaning further toward UC because of the legal issues

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#6 of 11 Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM

ditto Candace...she's wonderful! We're part of a secular home schooling co-op. http://www.my-bhlc.org/index.html``
#7 of 11 Old 09-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
okay, bhlc is not secular. they meet in the quaker meeting house, which is in a former church and so has a sanctury like a church, and when i went there for the open house, there were bible verses on the wall and crucifixes! to me, that is not secular at all. no, you guys don't teach religious subjects, but you are not secular if attendance requires that the kids see that stuff on the walls, and be subjected to the atmosphere of a church. we homeschool, and really wanted to belong to a truly secular cooperative. we have found that the local yahoo group, homeschool support, to be very helpful, and have found group classes and meetups through it. can't remember if it's bluegrass hs or lexington hs support. also, providence montessori is religious- hence the name providence. there are other montessoris, community montessori is one whose name i remember- they have a beautiful new facility, with space for a huge garden, but they have a waiting list and it's expensive. there's a few other montessoris, but i can't remember the names. there are some more hippie-ish homeschool moms around, so i would think that you could get a waldorf-inspired group going, no problem- there is a community room at the health food co-op, and the libraries have rooms, too. i enjoy the waldorf philosophy, but my kids are older than those of my hippie friends- and we do plenty of dirt and art, but tend to fall short on math;]
#8 of 11 Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 PM

We go to bhlc too. It meets in a different church now. I never considered the things on the walls. Aside from that there is no religion, no praying or anything like that. My 4 year old DD is taking art and preschool play group there. She loves it.

We also used Candace and love her!!

I didn't know there was a babywearing group. I need to come, I could use help with my wraps!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#9 of 11 Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

All of this is really helpful, especially to know of the midwives.

Also so happy to know of the secular (mostly, it seems) homeschool co-op.

It seems to me like Providence Montessori was started with the help of Catholic sisters, but it doesn't appear to me that it is still explicitly a religious school. Does anyone here have any direct knowledge of that? They don't mention it anywhere on their website.

Thanks everyone! I hope we are able to move to Lexington within the year!
#10 of 11 Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 AM

BHLC IS secular. It meets in a church because there aren't many other options for meeting spaces for homeschool groups. I think it's pretty silly to get all up in arms because there are bible verses around you. Ignore them. It has nothing to do with the homeschool group whatsoever, and it's just kind of odd to not be able to accept it. They're certainly not teaching bible verses to the children.
#11 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Moving to Lexington - VA or KY?

Are you moving to Lex KY or VA?

We're moving to Lex VA in August and have been asking the same questions around that area...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page