Homebirth in KY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I moved to Lexington a few months ago and we're considering trying for our second child. I really want to do a homebirth but it seems that it's not legal in KY? I was planning a homebirth with our first but she was born early so I had to go to the hospital. I hated having a hospital birth (though i accepted it as a medical necessity) and would love to have my second at home if i can make it to 37 weeks this time around.
Can anyone give me the scoop on homebirth options in ky?
#2 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Homebirth isn't illegal, but CPM and lay midwives are not legally able to practice in KY. I live in Bowling Green. I had a homebirth with YDS and am planning another for baby #3 in April. I used a lay midwife from TN - she came to my home in BG. No problems. The local CNM refused me as a patient b/c I was VBAC. Even if she would have taken me, that would have been a hospital birth.

You may be able to find a CNM that will do homebirth.
#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the babymoon.org website is a great resource for kentucky birth options. we got excellent care from candace robinson. she's on facebook and google-able.
#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katielea View Post
I moved to Lexington a few months ago and we're considering trying for our second child. I really want to do a homebirth but it seems that it's not legal in KY? I was planning a homebirth with our first but she was born early so I had to go to the hospital. I hated having a hospital birth (though i accepted it as a medical necessity) and would love to have my second at home if i can make it to 37 weeks this time around.
Can anyone give me the scoop on homebirth options in ky?
You sound a lot like me. We are new here too and I didn't even consider that homebirth would be anything other than easy to come by here... (I moved from WA state)

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 PM

I live in a different part of Kentucky, but I do know there are midwives practicing in Lexington. I'd go to Mother Nurture and ask. Maybe meet some of the local doulas. They will know.
#6 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM

I've been trying to research this topic for quite a while as well. What SarahKat said is basically what I've learned as well. Even though, there still seems to be a few midwives who will do home births. The trick is finding them. I'm in Louisville, and there are a few here who actually have websites, but from talking to people online, there are others who you have to find by word of mouth. There's also a KY Midwifery task force group, but they've been dormant for a while. However, the people who are members seems to be very knowledgeable.

I have seen that there are some CNMs in Lexington, but oddly enough, there are none in Louisville. The closest ones are are in Jeffersonville, IN or Lexington, which is crazy as well. The only answer I've ever been able to get for that is that its because of the medical political climate in Louisville. Stupid.

Hopefully you can find some other women who can refer you to home birth midwives in Lex!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page