Considering a HB in western KY area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not even pregnant yet again, but I'm considering a home birth with a midwife assisting in the Paducah area. I've had 3 hospital births with the same OB, the third being a drug-free kiddo. I'm trying to find a midwife willing to help with a home birth, or at least one with whom I can discuss my situation. (Really, I'd prefer a birthing center, but we don't have any stand-alones closer than Louisville/Lexington and my labors are 4 hours or less, so that trip wouldn't work.)

Thanks!
#2 of 26 Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 AM

Actually, there are no stand along birthing centers in Louisville/Lexington. Its the same scenario here in that its tough to find a midwife, but they are out there is what I am learning. You really have to ask around. It seems that a lot of people are willing to give you the names of homebirth midwives privately.

I live in Louisville, but grew up in western KY. If you have trouble finding a midwife around Paducah, you might have luck finding someone out of west TN who is willing to come to you. I don't know what Illinois laws are like, so not sure if you would find anyone in IL or not.

For me, I plan to find a HB MW here in Louisville since I know they exist, but if I have to go to a hospital, I plan to go to one just across the river in Indiana where they are much more birth friendly.

Just some quick Google searching, and it looks like there are several Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) in WKY (the only kind able to be licensed in KY), but most all of those deliver in hospitals. Just keep looking around in placed like MDC and any other online resources where you can ask other women. Good luck!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#3 of 26 Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I keep tabs on all of these threads... when we moved here, I never fathomed that homebirth would be an issue ... I guess it was yet another thing I took for granted. I have been reading UC books because it seems that may be our best option, unless I find magic in the local tribe threads

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#4 of 26 Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 PM

There are some good midwives out there. For me the first step was finding good doulas. They know the midwives. It's ridiculous that it is so difficult to find someone to attend a birth. Ain't Kentucky law great?
#5 of 26 Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 PM

I have a friend who lives in Murray. She had three of her children at a birthing center in Mayfield I believe. Try checking that out. As far as Paducah, I have no idea. Western KY is not the best place for HB. There just isn't a lot of support out there. People stare at you when you mention HB around here. 

Artist wife to dh_malesling.GIF. Mom to DSS superhero.gif (3 yrs) and DD (04/12).  brokenheart.gif (2/28/10). winner.jpgcd.gif

#6 of 26 Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Like someone else said, look for doulas. Also, you might try asking at the health food store.

#7 of 26 Old 08-07-2011, 12:13 PM

I know of a mw. Highly kept secret for good reason!

How did your birth turn out?

Also, may want to check out our new Natural Parenting Group http://www.meetup.com/NaturalParentingPaducah/

Star

#8 of 26 Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi! I am a home birth certified nurse midwife. I just started my practice last month, but so far I've just begun working on getting the word out that women in Western KY DO have a legal choice. :)

peanuts3plus likes this.
#9 of 26 Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Good for you!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#10 of 26 Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

(I lost my password for a while after posting, so please accept my apology for the delay in responses.)  I searched for doulas in the area and the closest on any certification websites was listed in Henderson, she didn't travel to Paducah and didn't know anyone closer.  I'll check the health food stores, though.  Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenaanderson View Post

Like someone else said, look for doulas. Also, you might try asking at the health food store.

#11 of 26 Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Still not pregnant again ("extended" breastfeeding past a year is GREAT birth control for me apparently LOL).  I will head off to the meetup website today! 

ETA  Well, meetup.com says that group doesn't exist :(  The closest I found was a group about playdates for moms to exercise together.  But, I saw your post about meetup.com charging, too.  So, if the group is still active somehow, I'd love to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarh View Post

I know of a mw. Highly kept secret for good reason!

How did your birth turn out?

Also, may want to check out our new Natural Parenting Group http://www.meetup.com/NaturalParentingPaducah/

Star

#12 of 26 Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM

The Birth Care Network is based in Louisville, but you might contact them to see if any of the members know of colleagues in your area.  http://www.birthcarenetwork.com/  

#13 of 26 Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM

There is a midwife in Paducah, she posts on this site...I can find her name if you want it, she lives too far away for me to use her.

"...when we moved here, I never fathomed that homebirth would be an issue ... I guess it was yet another thing I took for granted. I have been reading UC books..."

I was like you, where I had my homebirths there isn't any laws against midwives, other than being a weirdo for homebirthing, midwives are everywhere.  Every midwife I've found here in KY, is either way too far away or way way too expensive.  I had such smooth easy births with the first 2 we just decided to UC...  I just don't know how crazy it will be to get a birth cert or ss card...we'll see soon.

It was funny the other day I was talking with some women at a store (very weird how friendly people are in KY...not like up North) and everyone was sharing their birth stories...all gasped (lol) when I said I had my other 2 at home...(I forget how most people don't like the homebirth thing, let alone in KY)  then I said, "why that was up North of course, can't do that here....".  I just pretended to be having this baby at the hospital....I didn't feel like freaking them out any further.  I really wish there were more people who didn't freak about homebirth...oh well. 

#14 of 26 Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Check out the Natural Parenting Paducah group on Facebook.  :)

Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts3plus View Post

Still not pregnant again ("extended" breastfeeding past a year is GREAT birth control for me apparently LOL).  I will head off to the meetup website today! 

ETA  Well, meetup.com says that group doesn't exist :(  The closest I found was a group about playdates for moms to exercise together.  But, I saw your post about meetup.com charging, too.  So, if the group is still active somehow, I'd love to join!

#15 of 26 Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 PM

Is it a secret group?  I just searched for it on Facebook (even though I'm not in Paducah) and nothing came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandyleigh View Post

Check out the Natural Parenting Paducah group on Facebook.  :)

Brandy

#16 of 26 Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I couldn't find it, either.  It must be secret, by invitation, or something of the like.  I'll ask around in the ICAN of Paducah group if someone can link me in from there, I guess.  Heck,  I didn't know until I joined the ICAN of Paducah facebook page that is a doula here.  The only one I found on the internet a few years ago was in Henderson and she didn't travel this far or know anyone down here.

My mom said our chiropractor was telling her, one of his friends very recently had a baby at home in Paducah with a midwife from Hopkinsville.  You have to travel to her for visits, but she'll come to your home for the birth.  I'm definitely going to ask him for more information at my next adjustment!  (So, check with your chiropractors and natural healthcare providers; they might know someone, too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat83 View Post

Is it a secret group?  I just searched for it on Facebook (even though I'm not in Paducah) and nothing came up.

#17 of 26 Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Well, goodness!  I'm not sure where it went!  I was just looking for it on my profile and it's no longer there now.  I messaged my friend who started it to see what happened to it.  You can also check out the LLL of Paducah.  I think it's still on there.  Good luck!  I hope you have some good options for homebirth in KY!  I'm hoping to have a homebirth here too someday.  I had a homebirth before we moved here and it is the way for me!  :)  

Brandy

#18 of 26 Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Location: Middle Tennessee (between Nashville and Clarksville/Ft. Campbell)

Although we are still a distance from you, check out the Clarksville Birth Community group on Facebook.  We also maintain a page at fortcampbelldoulas.webs.com, which I am trying to keep current with a list of area doulas and other birth professionals.

Blessings,

Heidi Duncan

Birth Doula

Licensed Roots Childbirth Instructor
Prenatal Henna Artist

Essential Oils Consultant

Serving Nashville and Clarksville

#19 of 26 Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  I'm checking the group out as soon as I can today!  Clarksville is about the same distance as Hopkinsville, and I was ready to drive to H-town to see a midwife that my chiropractor's friend uses.  So, I would definitely have no problem driving down there to meet with a doula.  It's under an hour and a half to Clarksville/Ft. Campbell area, and a natural birth that we don't have to fight for is worth that drive to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaHeidi View Post

Although we are still a distance from you, check out the Clarksville Birth Community group on Facebook.  We also maintain a page at fortcampbelldoulas.webs.com, which I am trying to keep current with a list of area doulas and other birth professionals.

#20 of 26 Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM

I am a labor doula in training & a childbirth educator in Marshall/Graves!!! I am almost done with my certification but can accept prenatals now! I am also working on training for a CNM, and lactation educator! Feel free to email me, hclark403@gmail.com

#21 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM

Can I have your information?! We moved here from Indiana and desperately want a homebirth for our 2nd, but the options here are slim!

#22 of 26 Old 12-16-2013, 10:29 AM

are you still working in the Paducah area?

#23 of 26 Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Midwife in Paducah area?  I am on baby number four and low risk.  I seem to be hitting lots of dead ends in my search.

#24 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 AM

I had a homebirth in Murray...there are some great resources on Facebook. Check out the purchase area crunchy moms and homebirth moms of Tenn-tucky.
#25 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks a lot.  I have actually had some good luck in the past 24 hours. 

All the best!

#26 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM

Yea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page