32wks preg. wanting VBA3C doc just now refusing to deliver vaginally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a friend who is 32 weeks 6 days pregnant. She went to the doctor today & he is just now refusing to deliver her vaginally after 3 c/s. She has done in-depth research and really wants to attempt a vaginal birth. He doctor agreed to deliver until today after the ultra-sound. He baby is measuring 35 weeks & is estimating his weight to be around 6lbs. She is very upset. Her doctor said that when she goes into labor if she refuses the c/s he WILL NOT attempt to deliver her baby vaginally. Do you know of any doctors in Kentucky( preferably around Louisville area that attempt a vaginal birth on someone who has had 3 previous c/s this late in a pregnancy? thanks

#2 of 3 Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM

If she shows up in labor 1) they cannot legally turn her away (EMTALA); and 2) they cannot force her to have a c/s (w/o a court order which is really rare)...she must first consent.  If the OB dumps her as a patient within about 30 days (would need to do research on the date) of the birth, it would constitute patient abandonment.

As a side note...that OB needs to realize that he doesn't deliver the baby..the Mama does.

Is she open to a HB?  Here's an interesting MDC thread re: HBAC.

- Kim
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM

I would check with the nurse midwives at WomanCare in Jeffersonville, IN, just across the river from Louisville.  Beth Barry and Allison Reid.

Other than those ladies, possibly Dr. Pietrantoni.  I don't personally know anything about him, but I understand he's the only OB who will deliver a breech baby vaginally in Louisville, so perhaps he would also be open regarding VBA3C??

And we do have several really great homebirth midwives in the Louisville area.

More than anything, I would DEFINITELY recommend checking out http://www.icanoflouisville.com/ and contact them.  They have GOOD information and know their stuff.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page