Quantico area hippie mamas? Need rec's... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We'll be moving to Quantico, VA in about two months, obviously courtesy of the Marine Corps.

I moving from a tiny town where half the population of moms and kiddos have beautiful heads covered in dreadlocks and we have snow day play dates involving hula hoops and homebirth is expected. Everyone eats organic food, drinks raw milk delivered by a local farmer and makes regular visits to the chiropractor. I've only ever lived in easy breezy San Diego or our current hippie mountain town in Colorado, so I'm a bit apprehensive about moving to an east coast area where my gypsy soul ways might not be quite the norm.

I'm looking for recommendations for anywhere I could hope to meet other mamas and families who think a bit more alternatively. I'm hoping to find a good chiro, a homebirth midwife (or a birthing center... we'll be living on base for the first time in a very long time, so I've never had a baby in base housing and I'm not sure what the rules are, or if they are strict), a good health food store or co-op, a natural parenting store... anything along those lines. I know I'm moving to an area that is stereotypically more straight-laced, and I may be a fish out of water anyway, but I'd love to connect with a tribe of people who "get" me and my crazy family! 

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 of 5 Old 03-12-2011, 11:49 AM

We're in Woodbridge, so I'm not sure how much our suggestions will help. But, I'll put them on here in case your interested:

*Chiro: Ross Weinberg

http://www.fam-chiro.com/index.php

*Holistic Family doctor: Dr. Hai Jin Kim in Annandale, she does not do any vaccinations.

http://www.myhealthbuilders.net/index.php

We shop mainly at Wegmans, and Whole Foods in Springfield for basic stuff, and we get all of our meat and raw dairy from a somewhat local farmer who has deliveries to a few different pick-up locations.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 5 Old 03-12-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much  - that's a HUGE help! I'd love the name of your farmer... and about how much does raw milk cost out there?

And the chiro and holistic doctor sound wonderful! I'm a bit less scared to move out that way, now. :)

Thank you!

#4 of 5 Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Buying raw milk is illegal in VA, so I can give you the email of the person to contact about getting raw dairy but I can't give out the farmer's name. The closest pick-up station to you would probably be the same one I pick up from, in Annandale. Is that too far for you? If it is, check out  the real milk site for other farmers in the area. Our raw milk costs $6/gal. I haven't been to her yet, but if you're interested I just found out about this reiki practitioner. Good luck!

*http://www.reikiwithtammy.com/html/index.html

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM

This place will break your hippie heart. :(

We have been in Alexandria  since September and have wanted to leave since October, good luck adjusting! We have not been able to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page