NOVA mamas - help! Any "crunchy" areas in NOVA? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We should all start a moving to VA mamas' group.  I am an SLP by the way...are you still working as an OT?

Midwesterner04 likes this.
#32 of 41 Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabakes View Post

We should all start a moving to VA mamas' group.  I am an SLP by the way...are you still working as an OT?

Yes, I  do work some as an OT still- right now I PRN one evening a week at a nursing home, and another afternoon I work with kids.   I homeschool during the day, and then do a few hours a week of work out of the house for my sanity.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#33 of 41 Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju_mom View Post

Forgive the Canadian who doesn't know her geography, but my husband might have a job opportunity in Richmond. I feel very disconnected in Hampton Roads and would love nothing more than to live in a diverse crunchy area. I would like to live close to NOVA area. Is there a community that is closer to Richmond? My husband is willing to sacrifice driving for 1 hr for the sake and sanity of our family. 

You might want to start a new thread about the Richmond area.  Richmond is a large city with its own different areas and suburbs, depending on what part of Richmond your dh's job is in,  a commute across just Richmond can take an hour and include toll roads.   I think there are areas there that are more and less crunchy- though I am not familiar enough to recommend a certain area.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#34 of 41 Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Hi I'm in Ashburn! I think there are a lot of crunchy folks here and the birth/doula/LLL community is strong. I just joined the MOMS group here so not sure how crunchy the chapter I joined is but I'm ok with being the crazy crunchy lady (and really I'm not all that crunchy) some of the time. I really like living area out here - my DH works in DC. He commutes with a friend (so they can use the HOV lane, very important for a decent commute) he also does the Loudoun Co bus. Think big coach bus with a bathroom, not city bus. 

We've been in NoVA for about 5 years now. I'd love to live closer but we can afford to buy a good townhouse in a awesome neighborhood, the commute is the price to pay. If we lived closer we'd be in an older/smaller place and may not have been able to buy. 

I think that the one place I wouldn't consider living is along 95. I know folks in Springfield, Stafford, Fredricksburg who love it but 95 isn't worth it for me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabakes View Post

I am in the same boat!  We live in South FL and just when we have established ourselves and I have found a pediatrician that works with me and doesn't mind reading all about my homeopathic remedies I bring to her to approve for our 16 month old, Lucas, now we are moving to NOVA for my husband's job.  Right now we are in the process of trying to find a townhome in the Ashburn area.  I have been to the library kids' groups a few times while in the area house hunting, but have only met one other friend. 

Rebecca

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#35 of 41 Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jessica - Thanks for the positive input on Ashburn. That is one area that I'm considering. My hubby's job will be out of Tysons Corner so we are weighing the options of getting an apartment in the  McLean area or going west to Herndon, Sterling, Ashburn or Leesburg where we can afford to rent a townhouse or maybe even a single family home.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#36 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

There are so many other mamas also moving to NOVa that I thought it would be fun to have a New to NOVA group....veteran NOVA mamas welcome too :)

Here it is...

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1313195/new-to-nova-mamas-veteran-nova-mamas-most-welcome-too#post_16448033

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#37 of 41 Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM

I grew up here and never left, so maybe I don't know any better - but I love it here.  I consider myself pretty crunchy, and while, yeah, there's materialistic a-holes and traffic and some unfriendly people, there's a lot of great places, too, and home is where you make it.  Del Ray is awesome, I love Falls Church city and Falls Church in general has a lot of character.  Parts of Arlington are nice. There's a ton of culture here, and foodies, and DC is so close for museums and art.

#38 of 41 Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 PM

I grew up here and never left, so maybe I don't know any better - but I love it here.  I consider myself pretty crunchy, and while, yeah, there's materialistic a-holes and traffic and some unfriendly people, there's a lot of great places, too, and home is where you make it.  Del Ray is awesome, I love Falls Church city and Falls Church in general has a lot of character.  Parts of Arlington are nice. There's a ton of culture here, and foodies, and DC is so close for museums and art.

#39 of 41 Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM

#40 of 41 Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM

#41 of 41 Old 07-21-2011, 10:41 AM

I've lived in Sterling for 6 years and moved here from a small city out of state.  There are lots of resources, but they are definitely spread out.  If you're a 1 car family and want the Metro, I would lean toward Falls Church, which has some older areas but lots of character, and a farmers market by the town hall.  I think the COL is a little less there but it's right next to McLean/Tysons so you have the shopping within 20 min.  As a SAHM you can time your shopping for weekdays and non-busy times (non-weekends).

I get lost every time I go to Reston, and it seems to be more of a gourmet community, so I'm happy to have it as a nearby resource, but I choose not to live there.  If you want a historic "small town" with a (small) farmers market and local eateries and stuff, I would choose Leesburg, but it depends on what resources you want, as well as how long your commute would be.  DH did not want to live down the I66 corridor b/c it has terrible traffic for many hours per day.

There are a lot of parks, etc. that anyone can make use of.  I love Sterling, but it's not really a walking community.  If I wanted a walking type community I would choose Vienna or Falls Church, or Leesburg.  With kids taking classes all over NOVA, we have lessons in Ashburn and in Merrifield (between Falls Church and Fairfax), and my daughter's orchestra has performances in Alexandria, Great Falls, and other places.  There are active groups of Freecycle, LLL, Holistic Moms, etc. all over this area, and the NOVA families for natural living yahoo group is a great resource.

The libraries have lots and lots of free resources.  If you homeschool, there are several peer groups.  If you want alternative education, don't live in Sterling; there are better sounding options near Vienna, McLean, Arlington, etc.

There are lots of farm co-ops and delivery locations, including from Polyface Farms in this area, which is like the grandfather grass fed animals farm!  I picked up milk, vegetables, ground beef, and natural bologna from my pickup location yesterday 10 minutes away.  There are about 3 other locations within 20 min of my house.  I forgot eggs, but I get them from that farm as well.  Will have to check out the other tribe.  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page