NOVA MOMs - Which Hospital? Need a Midwife/Nurse!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Guys!

So we just moved to the DC area and we are wayyyy out in Manassas:O I am having so much trouble finding what I need without having to drive 40 min to an hour. I really need some good recommendations for a midwife that works out of a good hospital. I don't know anyone out this far so I can't get any advice from trusted friends which is what I usually go on. I've only heard bad things about Potomac, so so things about Prince William and good things about Fairfax hospital. Anyone have advice on which hospital is the best to have a baby at and a midwife that works out of one?

#2 of 5 Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM

It’s still about a 40 minute drive for you, but I would recommend the Loudoun Midwives at the Inova Loudoun Birthing Inn, if you’re looking for a hospital birth.

If you would consider a birth center, Peggy Franklin/Birth by Design is opening one in Chantilly this summer. That would be much closer for you.

Here are links:

http://www.loudouncommunitymidwives.com/

http://www.thebirthinginn.org/

http://www.birthbydesign.org/BirthCenter.aspx

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 5 Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!!! That looks like exactly what I would want:) I'm very pro-home birth/pro-midwife but had a very, very bad/scary experience trying a home birth with my first son. So now the most I would try is a birth center which is most certainly my preference. I checked the distance for Loudoun Midwives and it's over an hour from my address - not ideal but definitely going to check it out along with the one opening this Summer. I appreciate your help!

#4 of 5 Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 AM

I second the Loudoun Midwives if you are looking for a midwife-attended birth in the hospital.  It is the only option in any proximity to Manassas.  The other options in the DC metro area are in DC and Rockville MD respectively, both much further from you than Loudoun.  Also, my research (copious) suggests that Loudoun is the best hospital in NoVa for natural birth -- they have telemetry monitors, the only hospital that does so, and because of the Loudoun Midwives they see NCB all the time.  Fair Oaks would come in second for natural birth, with Fairfax a distant third.  (In terms of hospitals proximate to you, not that Fairfax is really that proximate, lol ... I have heard good things about VHC in Arlington and Inova Alexandria but both of those are way too far).  Prince William can be okay for NCB, but they have this stupid separation policy that was a dealbreaker for me.  There is a definite paucity of hospital midwifery options around here. 

SAHM to Bird (6/07) and Bear (7/09), and now enjoying our newest additionbabyboy.gif, born June 1, 2011!  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Just in case anyone pulls this out ;) 

I had my littlest at NoVa Landsdowne with the midwives. I loved them. I had a complicated situation (I had 13 kidney stones..) and had to be induced. Regardless of that, Paula was super supportive in the end and helped me to get the most gentle induction without pain medication. While it wasn't the ideal situation, I felt like they really worked with me to be able to get a memorable and amazing birth in spite of the situation. 

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page