New to NOVA mamas (veteran NOVA mamas most welcome too!!) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started a thread a few weeks ago about moving to NOVA and was surprised to see so many responses and other women who were moving to NOVA, so I thought it would be fun to have a new NOVA mamas thread to share advice and maybe plan some get togethers.  Veteran mamas are most welcome too as I'm sure you all can help some of us newbies out a lot.

I'm planning to be at the Holistic Moms Network meeting in Alexandria on Thur - does anyone else go there?  Where is everyone located?

We are in Ashburn for now staying with my parents until we get settled and find a place (we just moved on Sat!) - DH is working in DC so we're hoping to move to Alexandria/Arlington area.

What about you??

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Waving hi from Ashburn, were neighbors right now! :D Welcome to NoVA!

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#3 of 29 Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Hi! We've recently moved to Woodbridge.

#4 of 29 Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM

We plan to move to Woodbridge in July! Haven't got a place to live yet though.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#5 of 29 Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Looks like I'll be settling into Herndon in mid July. (I responded on the original thread.)

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#6 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Moved to Woodbridge 3 months ago-but lived in Alexandria for almost 20 years...

#7 of 29 Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM

We went up there last weekend and found a little house to rent in the Dale City part of Woodbridge and plan to move in around July 1.  My kids are a girl age 8 (will be 9 soon) a boy 4 and a baby girl 22 months.  We homeschool and do lots of the usual MDC type of stuff.  How about the rest of you, how old are your kids? Anyone else homeschool?

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#8 of 29 Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

OTMomma,

We spend a lot of time in Dale City.  Our church is there and we LOVE the farmer's market there.  My DS is two and a half.   Right now we are not planning on homeschooling but that could change again.  We'll see.  PM me once you are settled in the area.

#9 of 29 Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Antimony26,  How old our your little ones?  We would love to find some similarly minded friends down in this part of NoVA!

#10 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM

We're in Woodbridge, if anyone wants to get together pm me! OT momma look into the Woodbridge Springfield HS'ers, on yahoo groups, when you get down here.;)

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#11 of 29 Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM

Hi there - I guess I am more of a "veteran" since I've been in NOVA since 2007. We live in Alexandria city, in Del Ray. I really love our neighborhood if you are considering family-friendly and walkable places to live.

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#12 of 29 Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM

c/p from the other thread:

I've lived in Sterling for 6 years and moved here from a small city out of state.  There are lots of resources, but they are definitely spread out.  If you're a 1 car family and want the Metro, I would lean toward Falls Church, which has some older areas but lots of character, and a farmers market by the town hall.  I think the COL is a little less there but it's right next to McLean/Tysons so you have the shopping within 20 min.  As a SAHM you can time your shopping for weekdays and non-busy times (non-weekends).

I get lost every time I go to Reston, and it seems to be more of a gourmet community, so I'm happy to have it as a nearby resource, but I choose not to live there.  If you want a historic "small town" with a (small) farmers market and local eateries and stuff, I would choose Leesburg, but it depends on what resources you want, as well as how long your commute would be.  DH did not want to live down the I66 corridor b/c it has terrible traffic for many hours per day.

There are a lot of parks, etc. that anyone can make use of.  I love Sterling, but it's not really a walking community.  If I wanted a walking type community I would choose Vienna or Falls Church, or Leesburg.  With kids taking classes all over NOVA, we have lessons in Ashburn and in Merrifield (between Falls Church and Fairfax), and my daughter's orchestra has performances in Alexandria, Great Falls, and other places.  There are active groups of Freecycle, LLL, Holistic Moms, etc. all over this area, and the NOVA families for natural living yahoo group is a great resource.

The libraries have lots and lots of free resources.  If you homeschool, there are several peer groups.  If you want alternative education, don't live in Sterling; there are better sounding options near Vienna, McLean, Arlington, etc.

There are lots of farm co-ops and delivery locations, including from Polyface Farms in this area, which is like the grandfather grass fed animals farm!  I picked up milk, vegetables, ground beef, and natural bologna from my pickup location yesterday 10 minutes away.  There are about 3 other locations within 20 min of my house.  I forgot eggs, but I get them from that farm as well.  Will have to check out the other tribe.  :)

#13 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Attempting to revive this thread. I am in Herndon and just got a vehicle! I would definitely be interested in some sort of MDC NoVa mama get-together. orngbiggrin.gif

ribbonpb.gif
#14 of 29 Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM

I'm due in September with my first, but would love to get together with people at some point. I'm coming from way down in Rappahannock county west of Warrenton, so it sounds like it'd be a bit of a hike. Anyone else in this general area?

Wife to B partners.gifsince 6/2004, Mama to T wave.gif(10/11) and 1sttri.gif (8/13). We:signcirc1.gifbftoddler.gifmalesling.GIFfemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif

#15 of 29 Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM

I live in Sterling and have for the past 6 months.  I have a 2.5 year old DD and a 2 month old DD.  I really love it here!  There is so much to do and it is so beautiful.  My one complaint is that I am having a heck of a time finding a ped who is supportive/knowledgeable about breastfeeding and that will work with me on a delayed/selective vax schedule.  We have been going to Whole Child as they work with alternative vax schedules but they are completely clueless about breastfeeding.  I just can't go back there anymore after a series of incidents where they gave me really bad b/f information. 

#16 of 29 Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMM View Post

I live in Sterling and have for the past 6 months.  I have a 2.5 year old DD and a 2 month old DD.  I really love it here!  There is so much to do and it is so beautiful.  My one complaint is that I am having a heck of a time finding a ped who is supportive/knowledgeable about breastfeeding and that will work with me on a delayed/selective vax schedule.  We have been going to Whole Child as they work with alternative vax schedules but they are completely clueless about breastfeeding.  I just can't go back there anymore after a series of incidents where they gave me really bad b/f information. 

Oh really? I've heard good things about Dr. Bunger. I did hear that they have a new PA who may not be as supportive/knowledgable of bfing. I haven't chosen a ped yet but was planning to go with Dr. Bunger. If you wouldn't mind sharing - either here or via PM - what your experience has been with Whole Child, I'd really appreciate it.

ribbonpb.gif
#17 of 29 Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

Oh really? I've heard good things about Dr. Bunger. I did hear that they have a new PA who may not be as supportive/knowledgable of bfing. I haven't chosen a ped yet but was planning to go with Dr. Bunger. If you wouldn't mind sharing - either here or via PM - what your experience has been with Whole Child, I'd really appreciate it.

I am going to be writing them a letter next week explaining why I won't be coming back because the reasons are numerous.  I can share the letter with you if you would like once I write it. 

Dr. Bunger is the one who suggested I give my DD formula when she was 2 weeks old because she wasn't gaining weight fast enough for them.  I refused.  After a couple more visits and still my DD wasn't gaining, I decided to see a lactation consultant.  Within seconds of examining my DD, she said, oh yeah, she has a severe lip tie.  That's why she isn't gaining weight.  Next day, had her lip tie cut and she immediately began gaining weight.  A month of going to Whole Child and they never looked at her mouth...just suggested formula.  In fact, Dr. Bunger's exact words were: giving her fomula isn't criminal.  Nice.

#18 of 29 Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:

In fact, Dr. Bunger's exact words were: giving her fomula isn't criminal.  Nice.

Yuck. I was recommended Whole Child by three different people (two at a LLL meeting).

I'm thinking about calling up Herndon Family Medicine (http://www.herndonfamilymedicine.com/) to ask about their vaccine policies. They have a few docs who specialize in peds. It sounds nice to have my doctor and the kids' doctor in the same place and I know mamas here at MDC tend to feel that family practice docs are a bit less rigid than peds. (I read on a knitting message board that several people are happy with them but I do not know if the mamas recommending them are AP/NFL.)

Unfortunately it's difficult to get recommendations.

ribbonpb.gif
#19 of 29 Old 09-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:

hi, sorry to just jump in....I have been taking my kids to whole child since it started, and Dr. Bunger used to be awesome about all that stuff and never said anything about formula.....but then when Dr. P passed away and now Dr. B is only there every few months, I hate it. My DS5 was refused as a patient as a newborn bc we didn't do the Vit K shot. Huh. My teens go there, but I am thinking of switching them to Leesburg Family Practice where DS5 goes. They don't say anything about no-vax- I go to Joy Saari only though.

#20 of 29 Old 09-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Um, ok so after I just butted in, I might as well intro myself, lol. I am def a veteran. I moved to Arcola when I was 4 and have lived in Loudoun Co since then....I moved to Leesburg as an adult and still live here. When my 4 teens were babies, I was active in the Leesburg LLL group and became a leader. It disbanded years ago and with that went my holistic group. So, now with a 15 mo old, I don't see anyone like me. No BW-ers, etc. I just can't seem to make it to Burke or Tysons or B-more, etc for a BWing group. We have one car, I have joint custody of my teens and with driving everyone around, leaving town is almost impossible :(. Anyone else in Leesburg or outlying? ~ julie

#21 of 29 Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Joolz, I am also in Leesburg. I'm not as crunchy as most here on MDC, but crunchy enough that I remember that feeling of "I don't see anyone else here like me" when my kids were littler. That's why I ended up on MDC :) Maybe you're in the same boat I was?  I thought things had gotten better in Leesburg over the years... I was meeting more folks who BF longer, wore their kids, flirted with homeschooling or delayed preschool, cloth diapered etc., but it also got easier because I embraced not looking for folks who parent the same way and just settled for finding cool folks who weren't judgy as the kids aged. You could try the Nova AP group on meetup.com It's been a number of years since they were on my radar, but they had some active local folks a couple years back. MOMS club might have a few crunchy folks too. I felt like the MOMS club freak back in 2006-07, but it (at  least the South chapter anyway) has gotten more diverse from a parenting style perspective over the years so you might find connections there. We have a little babysitting co-op that I love. I'm too lazy to dig up links for you tonight, but PM me if you decide to look into either and don't find the info easily.  

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#22 of 29 Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuko View Post

Joolz, I am also in Leesburg. I'm not as crunchy as most here on MDC, but crunchy enough that I remember that feeling of "I don't see anyone else here like me" when my kids were littler. That's why I ended up on MDC :) Maybe you're in the same boat I was?  I thought things had gotten better in Leesburg over the years... I was meeting more folks who BF longer, wore their kids, flirted with homeschooling or delayed preschool, cloth diapered etc., but it also got easier because I embraced not looking for folks who parent the same way and just settled for finding cool folks who weren't judgy as the kids aged. You could try the Nova AP group on meetup.com It's been a number of years since they were on my radar, but they had some active local folks a couple years back. MOMS club might have a few crunchy folks too. I felt like the MOMS club freak back in 2006-07, but it (at  least the South chapter anyway) has gotten more diverse from a parenting style perspective over the years so you might find connections there. We have a little babysitting co-op that I love. I'm too lazy to dig up links for you tonight, but PM me if you decide to look into either and don't find the info easily.  

Thanks for responding :). I actually find it LESS crunchy now. It could be because when my teens were little, LLL was here in town and I was very active in that and Mother's First. And all my friends bf, co-slept, wore their babies, CD', etc. Now, those friends have teens like mine and didn't have more babies 12 yrs later like I did :). So it's not that they aren't still crunchy or aren't still my friends, it's just that they are in a different place than I am now. I guess I am frustrated bc I feel caught btw 2 worlds- little kids and almost grown ones. And I am trying to navigate both. I have wanted to get to some of the babywearing groups, but they are just too far for me. That's why I was wondering if there were groups like that in town (I could walk to them!) or just nice to know there are others out there, I suppose. Anyway, if you ever see a chick with a purple kanga baby carrier toting around a cute hawaiian toddler on my back, give a honk! :D

#23 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM

I guess this is kind of an old thread, but I'm pregnant with my first and moving to Alexandria in two weeks.

Wife to my best friend, mama to DD (6/29/12)

#24 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM

I don't know how far you're willing to go; I know the leaders of the Sterling LLL one lives in Round Hill and one lives in Hamilton.  There is a day time and evening LLL groups in Ashburn; that might not be too far...  And I drove way out to pick up farm foods before...  there seems to be a strong WAP contingent in Leesburg; maybe you should check them out?  I am still enjoying Sterling; we're right on the edge.  And I haven't yet been able to check out the new MOM's Organic Market in Herndon, just down the street from out dentist.  Meaning to!

I have a 13 year old, a 2 year old, and 3 kids in between.  So I really get moving between worlds of older kids and babies.  We're out there!  You just have to look...

#25 of 29 Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Looks like this thread has been stagnant for a while, but I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my first child. We currently live in Woodbridge, but we're moving to Sterling less than a week before my due date!!

#26 of 29 Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM

Hi all! Seems like there are a bunch of us around Leesburg/Ashburn .. anyone up for a meetup at some point .. I have an 8 month old and would love something during the week ..guess you can say I'm desperately seeking people like me.
#27 of 29 Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello and that I am glad to see that there are some AP and NFL-leaning moms in the area. My family will be moving to Fairfax a little later this spring and we'd love to get in touch with any AP playgroups, etc.  We had been interested in living in Ashburn or Leesburg as so many of you do, but the commute wasn't compatible with DH's job... 

Looking forward to getting to know you NoVa mamas!

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#28 of 29 Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM

Hi! I am a Hawaii relocating mama that accidentally found myself in a totally affordable rental in Front Royal VA a year ago after 3 long months of reconnecting with the East Coast ( I couldn't be out of a home any longer!) Well... we lost an offer we put on a house that was $75k. It was adorable, in the mountains, and on 5 acres.. sigh, better things will come. I love this community a lot. It feels like a family. People are very friendly. It has doubled the population in 20 years to 40k, yet is the smallest county in VA. I have so much to love about it. The canoe, hiking, library, thrift stores, 1 great bar with live music, and the cute downtown space. What I love the most is how rural it is but how great I can get to my needs, and not much else is in the way. The community is diverse. People are all over the place with a personality. Truly a lot of people care about you even though you are different and I think they really like that anyway. I have heard rumors of heavy drug use but I might try talking to a police man soon.. I just think people here that live in the low income places are more Echo wearing than the rest of us. The parks can have a few rough teenagers hanging about, but I always notice they lose interest when the flock of children come to hang. I adore the many playgrounds they have in one small space. I am a homeschooler that is Waldorf inspired, but mostly child and nature led. I love taking the train from Vienna into DC and having those kinds of days (runs about $20). I love the mountain side of VA very much. People here are inspiring to grow organic food and live more sustainably. The fact is, most of them do... they are humble, live on little - are light on the earth and look down on people trying to impress so much. There is a lot of religion here, but I find that they do not judge if your heart is full of love. People here are just plain sweet. I am apart of the FNL in Winchester, and I love Rappahannock county tons! I pray tons and everyday, but sometimes I wish that Rap was the answer for my home. I do think this area is so much more affordable and "living is easy." Plus this place is at least closer to the amazing group in Winchester. I recommend this place for a home but you need to pick the hood carefully according to your needs. It is commutable to jobs in the eastern and northern counties but only DC a few days a week (or 1). 

I am seriously considering starting up a homeschooling group with AP and holistic values for this location. 

My DH and I are homeschooling together and free roaming. We are in the middle of both sides of the family. The choices for Ithaca or Asheville are so very real, but there is something much more easy and affordable about where we are right now. I hold a lot of value in freedom to pack up for a month or two and have a season in another part of the country or world and trying to live in a place that is affordable (and beautiful) so we can all do that. 

I love raw vegan food, growing my own food, being handmade, all things AP and natural birthing, and living life closest to my highest vibration and going up from there :D. I sure hope that anyone like me pm's me about this place. I am full of knowledge. 

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#29 of 29 Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

My family is also near the blue ridge mountains in Va. We are in a small to own called Purceville.
It is surrounded by farms .we have been hooked on the local farmers stand. My two sons age 8 and10 spend most of there summer running around the neighbor hood.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page