Tell me about living in Virginia Beach? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're considering moving to a few different places, and this is one on our list. 

We like a lot of things where we live now but want to be closer to the ocean and farther away from the long freezing snowy winters here in Philly. 

Ideally, we'd like to move to San Diego or Santa Cruz, CA but don't think we can afford it and a little afraid to try - but welcome encouragement or suggestions for those, too! 

But, important to us also is diversity, good public schools, a backyard! and a little land for gardening, and having a supportive community of other parents who are natural minded folks. There are more things we'd like, too, but I think those are key for now.

Anything you can offer will be helpful - such as school districts/communities/areas that might pique my interest :) Please tell me what you love and hate!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't actually live there yet, but we're moving there in July and I've talked to quite a few people that DO live there. I hear the schools are excellent in Virginia Beach (also great in Chesapeake, where we're moving). I don't know if you're buying or renting, but we saw -lots- of townhouses and homes available with nice-sized yards.  I don't know about the natural community yet. DH is a chiropractic, and we are (currently) non-vaxing and we cloth diaper about 80% of the time, as well as avoiding unneccesary chemicals and trying to eat healthily. Hoping we can find some like-minded friends as well. And also a doctor that isn't difficult about the non-vaxing. 

Overall though,most people I've talked to absolutely love it there. I don't know about diversity. I think it's primarily black/white and I know there's a lot of military there. Hopefully someone who actually lives there will comment!

#3 of 4 Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi there,

I live in Virginia Beach and can verify it has all the things you're looking for.  I've been here two and a half years and there really isn't anything I don't like about it. There is a large natural parenting community (with events a few times a week) and schools are good. The thing I love most about VB is the outdoors: there are many beaches and state parks where you can camp, ride bikes, kayak, etc, etc. I love dance and art and so I love being able to go to museums and see dance performances throughout the year. There are lots of great neighborhoods in Virginia Beach (and Chesapeake) with large yards and even more rural living if you'd like. I would check out citydata for specific neighborhood recs. HTH.

Dee

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#4 of 4 Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM

We have lived here for almost 3 years. While we do love it, I do have an issue with the school system. The first school my kids went to was amazing. We loved them. We moved and had to change schools. I hate this school. NO parent involvment and I wonder where the teachers are when my kids come home talking about things that should NOT be happening in school. I have one that needs tutor help and I cant get help from the school, one that should be in gifted and they wont put her there, one that they claim is on grade level but when I ask how that is based on his report card they cant tell me. We decided to pull our kids after this year and homeschool. HOWEVER that said, there are some awesome schools in the system. We just happen to be zoned for a crappy one. Other then that we do love it here. So much to do and see. Good luck on the move and finding the right neighborhood!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page