NOVA Natural Birth Hospital/OB/Midwife recommendation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi :)  I'm new to NOVA and TTC my second child and looking for hospital and OB/midwife recommendations for the Alexandria/Arlington area.  I have to deliver in a hospital so birth centers unfortunately aren't an option for me, but my ideal situation would be to have a home birth type of experience in a hospital (if that's even possible!)  Also, does anyone know if there are any hospitals in the area that offer water births?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find a hospital that offers water births. Some of the Inova hospitals have tubs that you can labor in, but you would have to get out before you start pushing.

Here's a link to the one closest to you: http://www.inova.org/healthcare-services/womens-health/childbirth/index.jsp

There are virtual tours for the different hospitals on the sidebar. I hope you're able to find a place that will give you the birth you want!

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#3 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM

You will not find any hospital in the Metro DC area that offers water births.

There are a couple that have tubs that you can labor in *if* 1. the room with the tub is available when you arrive at the hospital, 2. you have signed orders from your OB/MW allowing you to labor in the tub, 3. you have absolutely no issues with your pregnancy or labor that they think might cause a liability issue if they allow you to labor in the tub (such as non-reassuring fetal heart tones while you are being monitored, slightly elevated blood pressure, etc)  You will have to get out of the tub to push and birth.

Of the area in-hospital birth options, I would suggest you look into Loudoun Community Midwives first.  It is a bit of a drive from Alexandria/Arlington, but worth it.  Physicians and Midwives in Alexandria used to be very supportive, but their practice has grown increasingly restrictive over the years, and I find it difficult to recommend them now.  I had a client who had a very abusive experience with them, simply because she was a 39 year old primipara.  Dr. Tchabo at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington) is good, but not always on call.  He is supportive of natural birth, but has gotten a lot of pressure over recent years to "toe the line".  Stay far away from Fairfax Hospital if you can, unless you have a super-high-risk condition that requires immediate medical attention during/after the birth.

If your situation changes and you can use a birthing center, the Family Health and Birth Center in DC allows waterbirths, and I think the NOVA Natural Birth Center in Chantilly does, too.

Good luck!

#4 of 8 Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM

The Birthing Inn at Loudon INOVA hospital has soaking tubs, although I don't think you're allowed to stay in them for the birth itself.

Birth Doula and Childbirth Educator serving Northern VA and the Metro DC area.

#5 of 8 Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM

I'm reading this post and feeling discouraged.  I'm also trying to find a low-intervention, midwife friendly hospital for my birth in the NOVA area.  My last labor lasted 3 hours, so I'm nervous to try and book myself out of the area (MD being too far), for fear of not reaching it in time.  And, though I never developed pre-eclampsia, I was treated for hypertension in the past, and was high enough that my cautious OB put me on Magnesium Sulfate for my delivery--which I think means I'm not an ideal candidate for a birthing center.  And, since I ended up in the ICU for a very freak post delivery problem, my husband is too nervous to try it at home.  Is there a "least worst" option for NOVA hospitals, maybe one that would allow me a midwife or even doula to help back me up for having as natural a birth as possible?

#6 of 8 Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Hey Stay-at-om-mom, I PM'd you with some detailed info. thumb.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#7 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 PM

i delivered at Fair Oaks in 2008 and I was allowed a doula. I do believe there is  midwifery group in Manassas VA as well that delivers at Prince William Hospital Hylton birthing center (which is really part of the hospital) and also Loudoun County Midwives delivers at Inova Loudoun in their birth center (also attached to hospital there). I go to LCM for my regular well woman check ups and such and they are great. Haven't delivered with them yet but hope to in the next year or two. 

Agee with another poster that if you're looking for natural, that Fairfax is not the place to go. I actually work on the high risk perinatal unit, and while they are amazing at handling true high risk issues and have very good outcomes for their moms and babies with high risk issues, it is not the place to go if you are looking for more natural labor and delivery. 

#8 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info--I have heard about Loudoun and I'm thinking about checking them out.  I appreciate the information about Fairfax, too.  I'm sure they are great for what they do, but I'm hoping neither of us need their specialized services!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoKoi View Post

i delivered at Fair Oaks in 2008 and I was allowed a doula. I do believe there is  midwifery group in Manassas VA as well that delivers at Prince William Hospital Hylton birthing center (which is really part of the hospital) and also Loudoun County Midwives delivers at Inova Loudoun in their birth center (also attached to hospital there). I go to LCM for my regular well woman check ups and such and they are great. Haven't delivered with them yet but hope to in the next year or two. 

Agee with another poster that if you're looking for natural, that Fairfax is not the place to go. I actually work on the high risk perinatal unit, and while they are amazing at handling true high risk issues and have very good outcomes for their moms and babies with high risk issues, it is not the place to go if you are looking for more natural labor and delivery. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page