Relocating to Newport News VA (near Ft. Eustis) ... Anyone near there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone!

We are brand new military and I am moving to Newport News VA to be near my husband while he is at Ft. Eustis for training/schooling. I am moving August and am hoping to create a group of mom's so I'm not all of a sudden in an area with no friends LOL. I currently live in MD and have never lived anywhere but here so this is a bit scary...

A little about us... I am a 25 yr old stay at home mom to 3 kids... Caleb is 5 and a type 1 diabetic (managed by an insulin pump), Arabella is 2.5 and Jameson is 8 months. We are a breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, cloth diapering family. I am in search of mommies with a similar mindset to how we parent... I don't need someone to agree with everything but someone who is a similar attempting to gentle parent and be natural... I don't fit in well with the more mainstream of people (I try but I'm a bit strong willed LOL) so I'm hoping that I can meet some people through here or that people here can guide me to some groups...

Well, this sounds like a personal ad... LMAO...

If you are in that area and can guide me towards some parenting or natural groups or play groups (like MOPS?) and homeschool groups, I would love the insight!

:)

Thanks!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#2 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Well we live in Va beach and are a military family :) We are non vax, co sleeping, breast feeding, starting to homeschool, and I am really thinking of cloth diapering our newbie due in Jan :) I am a SAHM to 6. Always looking for new friends! Newport isnt to bad of a drive from the beach.

Hampton Roads Mommies has a forum and a natural parenting group on it. Wonderful group of ladies who even if they arent natural parenting lead dont judge you for it either. I would try them out.

http://www.hamptonroadsmommies.com/

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#3 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post

Hey everyone!

We are brand new military and I am moving to Newport News VA to be near my husband while he is at Ft. Eustis for training/schooling. I am moving August and am hoping to create a group of mom's so I'm not all of a sudden in an area with no friends LOL. I currently live in MD and have never lived anywhere but here so this is a bit scary...

A little about us... I am a 25 yr old stay at home mom to 3 kids... Caleb is 5 and a type 1 diabetic (managed by an insulin pump), Arabella is 2.5 and Jameson is 8 months. We are a breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, cloth diapering family. I am in search of mommies with a similar mindset to how we parent... I don't need someone to agree with everything but someone who is a similar attempting to gentle parent and be natural... I don't fit in well with the more mainstream of people (I try but I'm a bit strong willed LOL) so I'm hoping that I can meet some people through here or that people here can guide me to some groups...

Well, this sounds like a personal ad... LMAO...

If you are in that area and can guide me towards some parenting or natural groups or play groups (like MOPS?) and homeschool groups, I would love the insight!

:)

Thanks!

I agree with you. I'm new to all of this and in Yorktown. My husband is stationed at Langley Air Force Base, which is joint with Ft. Eustis. I'm new to the area as well. It's nice to know that there is someone else on here headed this way. I just got on today, ready to post looking for other moms that have a similar take on parenting.

I am new to all this as well, our first is due the beginning of August. Just trying to learn what i can do and how to do some things.

#4 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

How far is Newport from the beach? If anyone wants to meet up for a playdate, I would be game! I am one of those people that needs a few mommy friends... otherwise I go nuts! And since I'm leaving my family for the first time (ie my mom and dad, etc.), I know I'll need to make at least a few new friends so I'm not completely lonely.

Alyssa - congrats on the newbie on the way!

I did find a homeschool group on yahoo... and I joined hampton mommies (thanks for that linky!)... I'm off to see if I can't find a natural parenting group and then also to see about LLL in the area.

I'm planning to (once I settle in), start up a birthing group... I currently run one in MD and would like to keep that going in another state. I wonder if they'll be any interest in that though...

Thanks ladies!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#5 of 15 Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM

I used to live in Newport News, very close to Fort Eustis. But we moved 2 1/2 years ago to Richmond.

#6 of 15 Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 PM

I have some great LLL info :) Picked it up recently. I will get it out and PM you if you would like :)

Not sure how far a drive it is between the two places. Hmmmm.... something to look in to!

HRM has a natural parenting board and lots of info on where to find things related :)

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
#7 of 15 Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Welcome to the area!   There are a few homeschooling groups through Yahoo I haven't really dived into it. There is an Attachment Parenting of Hamtpon Roads and a conscious parenting group (Peaceful Positive Parenting) group in the area through meetup. I would be interested in a playdate. Good luck with the move!!

#8 of 15 Old 07-04-2011, 06:19 PM

me thinks me knows who you are offline..... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju_mom View Post

Welcome to the area!   There are a few homeschooling groups through Yahoo I haven't really dived into it. There is an Attachment Parenting of Hamtpon Roads and a conscious parenting group (Peaceful Positive Parenting) group in the area through meetup. I would be interested in a playdate. Good luck with the move!!

#9 of 15 Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM

I need to be more creative with my username :) It was great catching up with you on FB.

#10 of 15 Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Its ok if you picked me out of the crowd then we both have issues LOL It was very nice catching up with you!

#11 of 15 Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM

I'm here!  Actually across the river in Gloucester Point but I'm a Coastie wife and new SAHM to a 2.5 yo DD.  DH is at TRACEN Yorktown.  DD is an only, for now, and needs to socialize...  I am up for a meetup if anyone is interested.  I think there's a public park at Jefferson & Ft. Eustis Blvd.  Other than that I'm not very familiar with the area yet.

Satty, our daughters are the same age!  And congrats on your VBAC; I remember when you were planning it.  Yep, I've been lurking on the VBAC board forever. bag.gif

Alyssa, congrats on your baby-to-be!

Mommyofalmost6, it would be great if we could meet.  I know it is a bit of a drive for you though.

So if you all are interested, PLEASE PM me.

Casey

ETA: Now off to join HR Mommies.  If not through here, maybe I'll see some of you there!

#12 of 15 Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Welcome!! I live 'across the river' too in Gloucester and we're relatively new here. I'm a homebirth midwife and have six children - 3 girls (15, 13, & 4) and 3 boys (11, 7, & 6). I'm always open to meeting new folks and we've greatly enjoyed settling in here. It's a great place to be!

Warmly,

Bridget

Happy single mom of six amazing children ~ Charlotte 15, Bethany 13, James 11, Joseph 7, Noah 6, and Naomi 4.

Blessed to be a CPM/LM in Virginia and doing work that I love.. as well as blessed to have worked with talented midwives who shared their knowledge with me. 

#13 of 15 Old 07-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Gloucester Point Beach is a wonderful quiet spot to gather -- but with the warm weather the jellyfish can be terrible. We're looking forward to cooler nights driving them back out and then plan to get back to beach days. We also enjoyed visiting Beavercreek Dam though I think it wouldn't be as much fun in the hot weather. 

Happy single mom of six amazing children ~ Charlotte 15, Bethany 13, James 11, Joseph 7, Noah 6, and Naomi 4.

Blessed to be a CPM/LM in Virginia and doing work that I love.. as well as blessed to have worked with talented midwives who shared their knowledge with me. 

#14 of 15 Old 07-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post

I'm planning to (once I settle in), start up a birthing group... I currently run one in MD and would like to keep that going in another state. I wonder if they'll be any interest in that though...

Thanks ladies!

Let me know if you do this, I'd love to take part and glean more wisdom from ladies in the area. I'm a homebirth midwife and would love to support your efforts. I have clients in NN as well. 

#15 of 15 Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 AM

Hey MsBridget, I'm going to PM you a little later today with some questions about local health care providers if that's alright.  We're TTC now and I'm going to need a plan (hopefully) for my next birth.  DD is waking up now so I'll put some questions together a little later for you, if that's alright....

Funny you mentioned GP beach.  We were there last week and the jellyfish WERE bad.  Of course now DD wants to see them, so we'll be going back to look from a distance.  Toddlers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page