New, military, and need help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to the Newport News/ Hampton, VA area. My husband is active duty Air Force and I'm 31 weeks pregnant. The hospital on base has said that they can't take me for prenatal care cause they have already met their "quota" for August (EDD Aug 4 2011). They wanted to send me to Portsmouth on the naval station to get my prenatal care and deliver. (i was told that i can't even deliver at the base hospital). in order to get to those appts and deliver I would have to drive and hour or more (i'm coming from Yorktown). I really don't want to do that cause we can't afford the gas and who wants to be in labor in the car for over an hour? I am going to do my best to get referred to another hospital here (riverside, i was told that that one has a good maternity wing) otherwise i'm going to birth at home. I was wondering if any of you mamas on here had any input as to who i should see about getting a midwife and if there are any around there that are military friendly. The people on base have been frustrating me a lot saying that i'm not allowed to go anywhere else or something. I know that i'm allowed to go out on the economy, i just get so upset over the fact that i don't understand everything that i start to cry while talking with them (it's the worst emotional thing about being pregnant right now). Please help me out. I'd love to have a homebirth, but haven't been preparing for it for the entire pregnancy. I have 2 months to prepare for it and everything else that entails a first child.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM

I I'm not for sure if she comes down that far ( I know she does births in VA, just not sure how far she'll go) but I would try Joey Pascarella of Sacred Journey Midwifery. She attended my home birth after 2 c-sections and she was wonderful! She is a tricare provider but it's not covered at 100%. She is very willing to work with people though.

Again, i'm not sure she comes that far into VA (I was in MD when she attended me) but it certainly couldn't hurt to call her and ask! She may also have some other options for you!

Good luck and congrats!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
2xy

I would call Tricare and speak to them instead of going through the base. What you're saying makes no sense to me. I live within 45 minutes of a military base and am still allowed to use civilian providers due to distance.

Tricare

Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 PM

From what I've looked up about tricare- if you switch to tricare standard, you can self-refer and see anyone. If the hospital is full, it seems like they need to provide you a referral to somewhere more local. Then you can stay on prime. I'd also call tricare, but ask to talk to a supervisor if what the person tells you doesn't make sense. It doesn't seem like they always give the best info out. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:27 PM

oh Tricare...The difficulties!

There are midwives in the area. I am one of them, Laura Yoder (Hoppel if you want to ask around, I just got married) and Full of Grace Midwifery which is over the bridge there as well. And Seven Cities Midwifery. Google any of them!

I've not tried too hard to get Tricare to cover (I'm fairly new to practicing in this area) but I've heard some unsuccessful stories from others.

A first baby would be completely worth the investment for a homebirth in my opinion!! Feel free to PM me for more info! I can help some!

And know that there are so many in your same situation! You're not alone!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Here's the update: I have a referral in with the Regional Contractor and that will get processed this week. the office i wanted to go to, didn't have and appt available until the week I'm due, so I'm going in today to see what can be done. they won't make an appt without the referral, though. I did find a midwife. due to some info from my mother, I am going to be going to the hospital, but i have requested to see a nurse midwife that the insurance will pay for, completely. Thank you all for your help. i will definitely do more research about the area when i get pregnant again. i just don't feel prepared for a home birth right now. (& DH figures a birthing center would be better for us anyway.) We are going to be in the area for a while longer.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM

Due to distance you should have NO problem getting the referral put through so you can see someone closer to home. Tricare says 30min drive tops. I wouldnt use Portsmouth. Cant stand the place. That is me personally. We will be using a place in Norfolk. However that is still a drive for you! Good luck hun!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. my referral and everything has gone through and I have an appt in about a week and a half. I'm also on the wait list to get in sooner if I can. I'm so glad this headache is over. I did choose the place that has the best reviews for maternity care on this side of the water. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 AM

:) glad to hear it! Much better then the stress of having to deal with Portsmouth and the drive and such!

Navy wife, mama of 3 girls, 3 boys, 2 kitties and wanting more. No vax, no circ, trying to live as natural as  we can. We are working on it
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Alyssa, best wishes for your delivery! I know Tricare is impossible to deal with, I wanted to recommend that you switch your LO to standard ASAP after birth as military peds are not natural family friendly. It took me a year to get to that point with my daughter, but I wish I'd done it sooner just so I would have felt supported in my decisions.

We just got orders to Langley (report date is Nov 30th). I fully expect to be pregnant again by then. Since we'll probably settle near base, I'd love to hear your birth story and any suggestions you may have for a fellow military wife about delivering in the area (once things settle back down for you of course!)

Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

eh, everything got figured out. I'm going to see about a birth center with the next one, though. there is only one hospital aside from the one on base that has a maternity ward. It's a teaching hospital and i think it has too many rules regarding some things, but that's just me. I really have nothing to compare this to since it's my first. Regarding the ped i can ask for a civilian primary care person for my child. I just need to find one that is naturally minded. I don't know many people that are planning on doing things that way. I do plan on going to a birthing center for the next child if i can. we really don't know where we are going to be when i get pregnant again. I did get the name of a ped that (i was told) is pretty good about forgoing the vaccines. so i'm going to see if tricare will let him be a PCM. we're just learning. the big thing i'd be worried about is the military docs trying to retract his foreskin (i'm having a boy).

User Tag List