co-ed scouting reviews for Manassas area (northern VA) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a boy and a girl and I have been going in circles in my mind trying to figure out a good solution to scouting. I was never in any scouting organization so I don't have any personal experience.

I'd prefer a co-ed option since it would be easier with both my kids and I don't see why they should be separated by gender. I don't have much info to go on about 4H, Earth Scouts, or Spiral Scouts. (We're not Christian so not interested in American Heritage Girls) I know 4H has been around for ages and has a lot of support and it seems that Earth Scouts and Spiral Scouts has very little support structure. Does anyone have experience with any of these groups?

I would like to be involved in the group and not just drop my kids off. I don't think they'd want to be dropped off anyway (at least in the beginning if they didn't know the kids really well). My kids are almost 7 and 4 years old. I have a lead on a homeschool 4H group starting up but it's in Springfield and I'm not sure I want to drive a bit over 30 minutes 2+ times a week. I'd also like to cultivate friendships a bit closer to home. But a homeschool group that meets during the day is a huge plus for me. I just keep leaning toward the other groups (I don't know why) and know nothing about them.

Anyone have any bits of wisdom? Any good groups in my area I should check out? If you suggest girl/boy scouts please let me know why. I'd love to hear what you have to say and would like to talk about them. I have some issues with them and wouldn't mind talking it out.

Thanks.

Allison

Momma to DD ('04), DS ('07), and 2 feline furballs and wife to a wonderful and supportive husband.

User Tag List