Would you consider Fredericksburg, VA to be a "crunchy/hippie" city? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I are planning on moving early next year. We'll both be looking for jobs just about anywhere in the U.S., but we do have certain areas that we'll be looking into first. DH is fond of North Carolina. I'm leaning towards Pennsylvania (one of my friends loves the Harrisburg area), New Hampshire, Vermont, or Massachusetts. Some of our criteria includes an area that has an excellent internet connection (I think he'd live on the moon if it had a good connection!), a co-op grocery store, a wooded area that's very near town, and farmers' markets. Also, I'd like to be within walking distance (bus service is also fine) of grocery stores, libraries, bookstores, etc. I would love living in a area that's friendly to baby-wearing, homeschooling/unschooling, cloth diapering, homebirths, and midwives (not too tall of an order!).

Well, I started thinking about it and maybe we're looking for an area similar to Fredericksburg (maybe not). Our apartment backs up to a park. Our internet connection is wonderful. There's a doula-led birth circle that meets at the local library. There are farmers' markets every weekend right downtown. There was a "Family Table" farmers' market that was held downtown today with activities for kids. I saw lots of mamas wearing their babes in slings, carriers, and wraps. However, Fredericksburg is not walking-friendly (except for old town which has a library, but houses are the most expensive there and the rest of the city spreads out into strip-mall sprawl).

I've lived in Fredericksburg or near it for most of my life. The area hasn't felt like home to me and I haven't quite figured out why. I've been searching the Mothering forums for crunchy/hippie towns and they all sound great (PNW being the exception; DH feels that climate would make him miserable with his allergies).

So, for those of you who have lived in or near Fredericksburg, would you describe it as a crunchy kind of city?

*(Partial information from this new thread will be posted in a different thread in FYT)*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page