Can Someone Explain School Systems in VA Please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH is looking for a new job and most are in the MD and VA area.  He has an interview in Charlottesville VA this week.  I have never lived outside of New England.  Here each school system is town run or a couple of towns get together and share high schools.  That kind of thing.  So if someone moved here they would want to know what town to look for a house in.  But when I ask people about schools in VA I am getting told counties to look in, not towns.  Can someone explain to me how the school systems are set up?  Thank you!  I feel a bit overwhelmed that we could be moving south and good schools are important.  I just want to make sure I have a clue on where to start looking for a town if DH finds a job he likes.

#2 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm in NC, but my sister lives in VA. In NC some school systems are town/city based, but many town/city systems have merged with the county systems so that there is just one big county system rather than a city system and a county system. 

In Charlottesville, it looks like they have a city system (http://www.ccs.k12.va.us/). Charlottesville is in Albemarle county which looks to have a separate school system (http://schoolcenter.k12albemarle.org/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=9897), so if you bought a house in Charlottesville your kids would be districted for Charlottesville schools, but if you lived in the country on a little farm you'd most likely be in Albemarle schools. Your realtor would be able to advise you. I couldn't tell you which is more desirable, but I'm in Chapel Hill, NC (very similar college town compared to Charlottesville) and our city system is preferred over the county system, although I think the county system is pretty good.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 3 Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in C'ville and it's set up like the PP said. If you live in the city limits, your kids attend City of Charlottesville schools. There are multiple elementary schools, a middle school (might be more than one) and a high school. If you live in Albemarle County, your kids attend the county schools. There are a lot of elementary schools, 4 or 5 middle schools and 3 high schools. The county school system tends to be better than the city school system but there are individual schools in each that perform very well. My kids attend Stone-Robinson  Elementary, Burley Middle School and Monticello High School. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page