Louisville mamas: Need recommendation for a great LC (re: tongue tie) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As title! I need a recommendation for an LC experienced with assessing tongue ties in the greater Louisville/Kentuckiana area. Alternatively, perhaps I need a recommendation for whoever actually corrects the tie? My original thread is here, as per the suggestions there I'm in search of recommendations. =)

Thanks in advance!

Just a grad student hopelessly in love with her amazing DH and wee baby Eli (12/06/11).

1394/2012 in 2012

#2 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM

My lc is amazing and helped me have my DS's tongue clipped about four weeks go at a doc's office here he works pt. Her name is Ashley Benz Andre wns Lousville Breastfeeding Help and Birth Services (phone number 819-9205). You can find her business on Facebook, too. She's really informative and helped me get through a terrible milk blister, bad latch, and the tongue tie business, too. She'll come to your house and wok with you in the sweetest, most professional and caring way.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Sorry, this ipad is messed up tonight.

Her name is Ashley Benz and she owns Louiville Breastfeeding Help and Birth Services. :)

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We had an appt with another lc, but if things do not improve in the next week, I'll give Ashley a call and see what we can do. =)

Just a grad student hopelessly in love with her amazing DH and wee baby Eli (12/06/11).

1394/2012 in 2012

#5 of 6 Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update for local mamas who may stumble upon this thread later:

UofL hospital opened up a new lactation center in October. It's staffed by IBCLCs and free to nursing moms.

Also, some recommendations for local docs who are reportedly experts in TT: Dr Kim Goldman, an oral surgeon (Ashley works in her office), and Drs Brown & Nau, ENTs.

Hopefully this helps mamas looking in the future! =)

1394/2012 in 2012

#6 of 6 Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM

I'll add some info, too, since I use the MDC archives to find info so often!

We saw several of the Louisville professionals mentioned above, and all of them missed my DS's posterior submucousal tongue-tie.  I ended up e-mailing several experts (members of the International Association of TT of Professionals) from around the country to find someone closer to Louisville.  The closest person I could find was Dr. Greg Notestine, a dentist in Dayton, OH.  I contacted him via e-mail, and he was super nice.  He told me what photos to take of DS's mouth, and I e-mailed those to him.  He identified restrictions via the photos, and we went up the first time 3 weeks ago to have my son's tongue and lip released (I didn't even know about lip ties at first!).  We went back yesterday for my son to have his tongue released a second time.  Dr. Notestine's website is http://www.smiles4udayton.com/, but the website does not mention TT. He's clipped over 3,000 babies, and has written journal articles on the subject.  I was so impressed with his knowledge of how a baby's suck functions.  My son's issues with gas and spitting up made so much sense after talking to Dr. Notestine!

From what I've read, the posterior tongue-ties can be very difficult to diagnose, so I encourage all mama's out there to follow your gut instincts and keep searching for answers.  I had given up on the idea of TT thinking I was wrong after seeing several location LCs and an oral surgeon.  It ended up taking me 5 months to figure it out, and I wish I had gotten a diagnosis sooner.

Here is an article that really helped me:

http://milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15/hidden-cause-of-feeding-problems-however-you-feed-your-baby/

(The LC who runs that site will also consult with you via e-mail... she's based in the UK, but she is SO helpful!)

This site also helped me figure out my son had a lip tie after reading this mama's blog post:

http://www.kiddsteeth.com/articles.html

This site has good info on other implications of tongue-tie beyond bf-ing difficulties (this site has made me seriously consider that I may have a posterior TT that was never diagnosed/treated):

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/

And of course the MDC archives are a fantastic resource, but it takes a lot of time to sift through the old threads and pull out info!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page