Mothering Forum banner

Hampton Roads Church?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Yaliina 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a progressive church in the area? Thank you
smile.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I guess a church that still has Jesus at it's core but also cares about social justice and ecological issues and doesn't have a Republican hidden agenda. I hate labeling Christianity but I can't think of anything else to decibel what I mean.

#6 ·
Depends on your personal beliefs, but Water's Edge Church in Yorktown and Newport News is pretty progressive, I think. We enjoyed their Easter service. Unfortunately, they are a believer's baptism church, which is somewhat of an issue for me, so we haven't pursued attending there regularly, even though my dh would like to (his parents are Baptists) because of their fun and outgoing services.

My personal opinion (and I'm admittedly biased) is that Methodists, in general, are relatively socially and even religiously liberal. Unfortunately, all of the churches around here seem to be stuck in the mud of the old people, and their services don't meet dh's standard for entertainment. A Presbyterian minister friend of my parents has vowed not to perform any marriages until EVERYONE can get married (LGBT, etc.). Unfortunately, he doesn't live here, or I'd be attending his church. St. Mark's Methodist is a pretty good church here in Hampton. They have a LOT of little kids, though we haven't been there a while now. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.