Hello all! My family is currently living in New Zealand, but we'll be moving back to the US in the next few months. My husband is interviewing for a position in the Blacksburg/Radford area, and so far it's looking very promising on both ends. So, in prep for possibly/probably moving there in a few months, I have a TON of questions! Any help is appreciated!
1) Are there any homeschool groups in that area? We are a Messianic family, so would probably lean towards a Christian based group, but I'd rather have an active inclusive group than a Christian one with nothing going on. :)
2) Any non-vax friendly peds in that area?
3) Recs for a homebirth midwife? I'm 16 weeks now, and unfortunately, I'll probably be mid 20s or later before we know for sure whether we will have the position or not. I know that's super late in the game to find a homebirth midwife, but I'm hopful! If it matters, my first two were born in a FSBC in NC, and my last was a homebirth. I'm a doula and LLL Leader myself, so I'm a very easy client!
4) Any recs for a pediatric endocrinologist? Our middle son will need one asap for his growth hormone deficiency.
5) Anything else an AP mama should know about the area? Local farms with raw milk/meat/CSAs I should check out? Any AP playgroups or whatnot?
Thank you in advance!
Vallere - Daugher of YHWH, Wife to Dr. Adventure, and Mama to DS(5), DS(3), DD & DD(1)
about our move to New Zealand!
I missed this when it was posted. I'm in Blacksburg. I'll just post some links that may be helpful, and you can ask any questions, or pm me.
Local yahoo groups:
New River Valley:
Natural foods stores in Blacksburg:
I'm sure that there are lots of other links that I could post, but can't think of rignt now.
I have had a horrible time finding non-vax friendly docs - I go to Academic Peds and see Hope Tobey. She is understanding and nice about it but does try to talk you about them, you will just have to sign a form stating you decline. I left NRV Peds crying once because the doctor told me I was a bad parent. I am actually shocked that this area doesn't have a practice that is more understanding.
Yeah! I recommend Dr. Bradford for selective vax or whatever because she really respects a parents choices. Second choice would be Dr. Badillo. As for midwives: Wanda Smith and Crystal Mussleman are the best for homebirths. They have an awesome Moms group that meets once a month too and lots of "crunchy" moms from the area go. My hubby wasn't comfortable with not having oxygen available for a homebirth so we used Hannah Mann. She is awesome too and she's a christian which can help when you are in labor and losing faith! I had complications though and had to go to the hospital. If you have to go to the hospital I totally recommend NRV in Radford and the awesome staff and lactation consultants there. Also Sherri Doss is the midwife at the hospital and her team is excellent! I'm not a fan of Dr. Swaim. Jannessa would be my second choice for a hospital birth. Roberts 3rd. I had very serious complications so I got to meet everybody. These are just my opinions but among people with similar values (natural parenting and living) most of them say the same thing.
|45 members and 19,263 guests|
|Amberline , bananabee , BirthFree , Bow , cadence.clair , coconotcoco , Daffodil , easydoesit , emmy526 , Fembot , floss&ferd , greenemami , hillymum , IntoTheRoseGarden , IsaFrench , Janeen0225 , judybean , Katc8910 , Katherine73 , kathymuggle , manyhatsmom , Michele123 , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , NaturallyKait , OllyMolly , pokeyac , richella , RollerCoasterMama , Sasha2011 , Socks , Springshowers , sren , stephalittle , SYDNI WILSON , uiu , verticalscope , VsAngela , Xerxella , xthoney , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|