Help! Midwife, Home birth, Northern Virginia, United Health Care, GEHA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please help!

My wife and I are expecting our second baby at the end of the year (2012). Our first child was delivered at home in Provo, UT with a midwife. (Some background) We were originally scheduled to deliver our first child with a CNM who worked at an office with 2 other CNM's and delivered out of a hospital. However, everytime we went for visits we got nothing out of the visit. We then discovered that the CNM's were "sponsored" by an OB, and that there was a lot of pressure to run their practice like a doctor's office. We eventually found a midwife and switched to her at 38 weeks in (best decision of our life).

We have since left Utah, and we now live in the Northern Virginia/DC area. We want another home birth, but we don't know where to start. We have good insurance that will cover a delivery with BirthCare in Alexandria. However, after some research we have found that they are practioner backed as well.

Our midwife that we used in Utah was a Direct Entry Midwife (DEM). We loved her style and her approach to birthing. We are stuck and need HELP.

Our insurance is Government Employee Health Association (GEHA) which uses United Health Care. Any help, advice, or experience would be so appreciated. We don't want to settle for what the insurance covers if there are better options out there. 

Any advice with DEM's in the Northern Virginia/DC area? Insurance covering it? Thanks!  

#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 03:17 PM

I can't vouch for any of them (although I would venture to say that VA in general has great midwives), but you might find a few here:  http://nova-homebirth.org/midwives/

I wish you all the best for the birth of your child and I hope that you are able to find the right midwife! 

#3 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM

I can't vouch for any of them (although I would venture to say that VA in general has great midwives), but you might find a few here:  http://nova-homebirth.org/midwives/

I wish you all the best for the birth of your child and I hope that you are able to find the right midwife! 

#4 of 7 Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Peggy Franklin and Kim Pekin at NOVA Natural Birth Center. They are CPMs so are not affiliated with a dr and they do homebirths too. Ds3 was born at the birth center and it was such an amazing experience!
#5 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM

I second Peggy and Kim. They were with me for my labor at home and they were amazing. I needed to transfer to the hospital due to baby heartrate decelerations, and Kim made a quick decision that it was an emergency and we needed to go. She rode with me in the ambulance and stayed with me until after the birth, then went back to my house (at 3 am) and straightened up! They were both great for prenatal and postnatal care. I plan to use them again at my next attempt at homebirth.

Wife to B partners.gifsince 6/2004, Mama to T wave.gif(10/11) and 1sttri.gif (8/13). We:signcirc1.gifbftoddler.gifmalesling.GIFfemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM

I had heard great things about Peggy and Kim too, but I got screwed out of my homebirth with them when they started transitioning their practice to the birth center (I live in Fredericksburg).  I guess they decided that was too far for them to cover, but instead of just saying that tried to "risk me out" even though nothing was wrong with me.  It made for a lot of drama at 38 weeks pregnant!  They are nice enough ladies, just my experience with them was not the best, so I'd urge you to meet with them and see what your gut tells you.  Lots of other people have been happy with them and you may be too. 

ETA: I should add that while I didn't use my insurance with them because mine didn't have out-of-network coverage they did try to work with most insurance companies.  If you had the out-of-network option you could probably get at least a portion of it covered.

Best of luck!

#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

I used Marilee Pinkleton and liked her very much. I have Tricare so it wasn't covered by insurance, and I'm not sure whether it would be for you either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page