Lexington/Winchester, KY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So DH and I have agreed to talk about talking about a possible move.  Was that non-commital enough? 

He has a potential job lead in this area.  What can you tell me about the area?  I have a 2nd grader who needs some gifted/talented services and a 4yr old who will probably need even more of that. My DD goes to public school here.   

We would be looking at renting, probably  house at first.  Are there better/worse parts of the area?  Winchester seems small, is it a bad commute from Lexington?  I can see on google maps it says 33min, do you think that would be accurate? 

Anything you can share would be great! 

TIA

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Winchester is a nice little town. I dont know that much about the area specifically, but I know Lexington has plenty of great stuff for raising kids. I live an hour away from Lexington and an hour away from Louisville, and I never commute to Lexington for anything. TBH, the commute is a huge PIA because Lexington has terrible traffic for the size of the city.

Kentucky in general is great place to live :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 6 Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Lexington has a great natural parenting store called Mother Nurture.  They also have a sister store called Baby Moon.  Mother Nurture has an active Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MotherNurtureKY

Baby Moon: https://www.facebook.com/BabyMoonLex

ETA: I live in Louisville, so I don't have any direct experience with living in Lexington or Winchester.  I believe there are some Lexington Mama's on here, so they may be able to give better advice.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Anyone here from Lexington who can tell me anything more?

#5 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Still considering moving here a few months later?  

It's not a bad drive from Winchester to Lexington. I haven't heard great things about Clark County schools. (Winchester area.) I think their high school has a high rate of drug use.  You would be better off with Lexington's public schools, or possibly Georgetown public schools in Scott County.  

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#6 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately we aren't moving to the area.  I was pretty bummed my husband didn't get the job.  The company even flew us out to see the area and to interview him in person so we thought it was pretty sure that we would get an offer after they spent that much on getting us out there.  The area was beautiful and I think that it would have been great for our family, but apparently just wasn't meant to be.  OH, and I agree, the drive between Lexington and Winchester was not a problem at all. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page