Mothering Forum banner

Kentucky laws on newborn tests, procedures, screenings?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mkat83 
#1 ·
Does anyone here know what the actual laws are regarding required procedures for newborns in Kentucky? (Not what the hospitals *say* has to be done.)

I am a doula and educator working with moms in the Clarksville, TN / Fort Campbell, KY area. I realized recently that when my clients give birth on post at Blanchfield, they are actually in Kentucky (it's just across the state line) and therefore the rules are different.

I know what the Tennessee laws are, as they have a website clearly stating them. 1) PKU screening is required by law and if not done the legal consequence is a Class C Misdemeanor for the parent(s) and 2) a hearing screening is also required but doesn't carry a charge if not done, apparently. Hospital staff will often say that the erythromycin eye ointment is required, however, the correct info is that caregivers are required to recommend it, but parents are not required to consent for it.

I've read through the threads here already and searched online and haven't found this answer yet. Bottom line - what legal consequences will parents face should they decline any or all of these newborn procedures, whether at a hospital birth or homebirth?

Thanks for any direction you can provide!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm... I have no source for this, but I am under the impression that the PKU is required and that's it. You can request that your newborn hearing screen be done at your ped's office and flat out decline the eye ointment without much of a fight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.