Kentucky laws on newborn tests, procedures, screenings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Middle Tennessee (between Nashville and Clarksville/Ft. Campbell)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone here know what the actual laws are regarding required procedures for newborns in Kentucky?  (Not what the hospitals *say* has to be done.)

I am a doula and educator working with moms in the Clarksville, TN / Fort Campbell, KY area.  I realized recently that when my clients give birth on post at Blanchfield, they are actually in Kentucky (it's just across the state line) and therefore the rules are different.  

I know what the Tennessee laws are, as they have a website clearly stating them.  1) PKU screening is required by law and if not done the legal consequence is a Class C Misdemeanor for the parent(s) and 2) a hearing screening is also required but doesn't carry a charge if not done, apparently.  Hospital staff will often say that the erythromycin eye ointment is required, however, the correct info is that caregivers are required to recommend it, but parents are not required to consent for it.

I've read through the threads here already and searched online and haven't found this answer yet.  Bottom line - what legal consequences will parents face should they decline any or all of these newborn procedures, whether at a hospital birth or homebirth?

Thanks for any direction you can provide!

Blessings,

Heidi Duncan

Birth Doula

Licensed Roots Childbirth Instructor
Prenatal Henna Artist

Essential Oils Consultant

Serving Nashville and Clarksville

#2 of 3 Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Hmm... I have no source for this, but I am under the impression that the PKU is required and that's it. You can request that your newborn hearing screen be done at your ped's office and flat out decline the eye ointment without much of a fight. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 3 Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 PM

http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/mch/ecd/newbornscreening.htm

That site has info, but it didn't really clarify things for me much.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page