Moving across WV state line in order to avoid vaxing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Friends,

We will be moving from TX in the summer of 2013 for hubby's job (specifically located in the Shepherdstown, WV area).  We have a 6-month-old son, and we have chosen to delay all vaccines at this time.  Over the next several years, we may do one or two vaccines prior to him going to kindergarten, but that will be all.  I am aware of WV's mandated vaccine laws for enrolling in public school and understand there is really no getting around them, or the list of the vaccines they require (FYI - it's important to us for our son to attend public school rather than homeschooling or private school if at all possible).

So we are getting creative.  Because Shepherdstown is located very close to the Maryland border, we are considering living in Maryland (perhaps Sharpsburg??) so that Baby Boy can attend public school there, and Hubby can commute a short distance across the state line to Shepherdstown.  In my research, Maryland appears to have a vaccine exemption, so it would appear this would meet our need of not having to vax for our son to attend public school.  Anything I'm missing here?  How do other people handle this?  Any other towns/cities across the WV border in MD or VA we should consider?  I would appreciate any and all constructive and supportive thoughts.  Thanks so much.  smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Hi,

I am wondering why it is important to you that your child attend public school if you do not want him vaccinated.  I think that if parents choose not to vaccinate their children, they should have that right...but then not expect to send their child to public school to be in contact with hundreds of other children, and possibly contract or spread serious diseases.

Keep in mind that the policy is usually extended to daycare centers and Montessori schools.  If you need any child care at all, you will not be able to get around vaccinations.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

You're child is NOT a public health risk.  I have friends who are doctors IN public health who live for vaccines and happily let their children play with my unvaccinated children all the time.  People who think there is some major risk are just buying into what they are told on tv.  There is no evidence to support it.  Vaccinated kids who get the diseases they are vaxed for do so without any blame on unvaccinated children.  Only cnn says otherwise.  Science does not agree.

I'd stay out of WV.  I'd actually homeschool ;)  But thats not an option for everyone :)  goodluck!

DD1 7 1/2 years DS1 3 1/2 years And DS2   7/18/13
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM

Yeah, "herd immunity" is a load of bunk.  I don't know anything about Maryland, but I'm told it's easy to get exemptions in Virginia.  My kids aren't school age yet, so I haven't dealt with that, but it wasn't a problem for day care.  I didn't have to give a reason or anything silly like that, just state for the record that my child hasn't been vaccinated.  Finding a good pediatrician can be a challenge in some cities, so I'd definitely research doctors before the move.  Good luck!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Sharpsburg is close to Shepherdstown (about 5 minutes) and consists of a few streets with a couple businesses, a school, library, and post office. Other nearby towns you might want to consider include Boonsboro, MD (15 minutes from She-town), Frederick, MD (45 minutes away), Hagerstown, MD (40 minutes), Brunswick, MD (30 minutes), and possibly Winchester, VA (45 minutes away). We used to live in Shepherdstown but moved to Boonsboro a few months ago just because we found a really great deal on a house. I love Shepherdstown, has a great downtown and community but I am finding myself really pleased with Boonsboro. Boonsboro has an excellent school system (I think the best in Washington County), close to tons of hiking, shopping, restaurants in nearby towns, and plus they have a really beautiful new library!

User Tag List