Is it possible to have a home birth in Northern Ky? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

I am wanting to have a home water birth with a midwife and birth doula in the Northern Ky area.  I am not yet pregnant but planning ahead. It seems to be very difficult to find a midwife in this area that will do a home birth. Would love any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Yes, it is possible. Practicing midwifery w/o a license is illegal in KY, so lay midwives may be cautious, and not so easy to find, but they do exist! I know a few of them myself, & I am in OH near the OH, KY, WV area. CNMs are for the most part prevented from attending homebirths ,do to their collaborative doctor requirement. But actually it is sometimes possible to find a CNM with Dr. back-up  willing to do homebirths. Most of the homebirth midwives in this area are DEMs or CPMs. The KY state health dept. is pretty understanding of the legal dilemna. They are not going after illegal midwives, at present like they are in IN, they just kind of ignore it.  Some midwives have their name out there on the internet, but say they are in a bordering legal state, like OH, TN or WV. Some can be found by asking around. Ask every pregnant lady or new mom you see, if she had a doc or midwife or birthed at home or hosp. eventually one one them will have a home birth. Asking at LLL meetings, in health food stores, or other women's groups  may also bring you in touch. Don't give up, they are there!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:30 PM

There is a homebirth circle that meets twice a month in Cincinnati. You can join the yahoo list here for information on dates, times and locations. You will be able to get information about midwives from the parents there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cincinnatihomebirth/

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

User Tag List