tell me about rural KY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

thinking of moving from PA to TN or KY.

Id love to hear from anyone who lives in rural KY. we hope to buy some land (like 15 acres) and have a small farm.

we are homeschooling so we are not concerned with the schools.

please tell me all about your area!

thank you!!!

#2 of 4 Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences in KY to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had this post open for days on my computer thinking about how to respond.  This is such a big question to answer!  I currently live in the city, but I was raised in rural western KY.  I didn't move to the city until graduate school.

I grew up in a small farming community, a "town" with no stop lights, the church was the largest organization in town, everybody knows everybody, etc.  This is good in some ways, and bad in others.... such as when your mom knows what you've been up to before you can even make it home that night!

Even though we lived in the country, we were surrounded by Big Agriculture, gmo fields, etc.  We ate a standard American diet, and took all sorts of medications, etc.  Ironically, I came into the more natural lifestyle after I lived in the city!  There are a lot of concepts that I embrace now that I just never heard anyone talk about while growing up (my parents think I'm a crazy hippie), but with the internet, its a lot easier to find your tribe no matter where you live.  There's surely always going to be another "crazy hippie" somewhere nearby :)

If you have more specific questions, I can try to answer them.  Its just such a big question!

From friends I have known from Eastern KY, they seem to have a similar "culture," as we did in western KY.  The place where that might differ is some parts of Appalachia.  

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I lived in Louisville and visited the outlying rural areas pretty often, moved a year and a half ago to PA. Homeschooling is wonderful in KY compared to here, just send a letter to the district person in charge of attendance to let them know you'll be homeschooling, keep your records but don't show them to anybody. That's it. But it does start at age 6 instead of 8. Winters have less snow but more ice, and the roads aren't salted and plowed as well as PA. Summers get hot and humid, a bit less rain there so you'll have to water your farm/garden or dig swales. Pretty much the same as any rural place socially. Mainstream junk food and less than crunchy habits for many people, but some neo-hippies and Christian crunchy-cons especially found in homeschooling and whole foods circles. Central PA feels about as southern as KY minus the use of "y'all". There are more Baptist and Methodist churches, less Mennonite and Brethren and such. College sports are a big deal. Selling raw milk is illegal without the cow share workaround. Farmer's markets are very good in the cities if you are near enough to drive your produce in there.  But the cities sprawl out big time so from country to city center is a long drive. There are a few good CSA's already too, the demand is there for more in the city. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page