Looking for good baby stop for trip in VA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!

Next week we are travelling from NJ through MD/DC/VA on 95 to get to Williamsburg, VA. I am worried about my 16 month old girl making it through the trip. I would like to have some sort of list of possible places to stop along the way if needed, like a parks, playgrounds, farms/zoos/aquariums, towns to walk around in, etc.
Also does anyone have any suggestions of cool things to do down there besides the usual big name places? I don't have the time to research trips like I use to Any help is greatly appreciated : Oh and are there natural food stores in the area?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 PM

The National Zoo in DC is free, but would be out of your way if you're just zipping down I-95.

We have a bit of an unconventional rest stop.

Ikea. Three locations (White Marsh, College Park, Woodbridge). Easy to get to, has kid-friendly food, good place to stretch your legs and walk walk walk. Small playstations scattered through the store. When we drive to NJ, we sometimes stop at the Ikea in White Marsh for just this reason--I can stretch out my sciatic nerve and the kidlet can decompress. The changing rooms are often in decent shape, too.

Fredericksburg has lots of restaurants, both chain and otherwise. The biggest suburban sprawl labyrinth of doom is on the NW side of the I-95/VA SR 3 interchange. There are all sorts of places to eat in there. I'm fond of Baja Fresh.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 AM

I was just going to say Ikea! We use the one in Pittsburgh on our way to Cleveland... the one in Woodbridge might work for your trip.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#4 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 PM

That Ikea (Woodbridge) is lovely

Richmond has a great children's museum that your daughter would LOVE! It's not too far off of the 95 on the 64 (I believe it's West of the 95, but I am directionally challenged and have only been here a couple of years LOLOL so double check that!) the exit is "Boulevard" - yeah, not "XYZ Boulevard" just "Boulevard" LOL!). As an added bonus, there's Richmond's BIGGEST Mc Donalds right next door which isn't really that big... BUT... if you like Jamaican food, there's a restaurant (teeny little thing) called "the Jerk Pit" directly across the street and it is AMAZING!!! And cheap !

Richmond is about 1 hour west of Williamsburg and isn't very far out of the way... I am talking like couple of miles, literally... if that. Well worth the trip!

Also, there's a Trader Joe's in Newport News. We have one opening in Richmond (in the west end... about twenty minutes west of the children's museum) on the 26th of Sept. and our brand new Whole Foods just opened (same area).

I hope that helps! LMK if you need further details or info and I'll gladly help you out!
#5 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Williamsburg just built a brand new Trader Joe's that opens on the 28th (might be the 26th?) Also, Ukrop's (there are two here) has a huge natural foods section as does the Fresh Market, but Ukrop's has way better prices.

Angel Wife to Daniel Mama to Astrid (11/06) Leland (9/09)
#6 of 6 Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Those are some great suggestions! Thanks! I will definitely look to see where the Ikea is.
And I am exited there will be a new Trader Joes in Williamsburg.

Also, we may be making a separate day trip to the Children's Museum. It sounds cool. :

I have a lot of great info to go on! I am always open for more suggestions! Well, until Sunday....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page