Charlottesville - Pediatrician - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Charlottesville mamas tell me about your pediatricians!

I am trying to figure out who to use for our upcoming arrival

Thanks

Stepmom to Maddy 4/00 Mom to Imogen 3/09
#2 of 6 Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM

My DSC use Dr. Hawkes at Pediatrics Associates West. I really like that practice for a number of reasons:

1. Dr. Hawkes and most of the other drs. we have seen do not automatically push meds. I'm not sure how they were with vaccines because I was not around when those decisions were being made but I would imagine that he would be flexible with that.

2. The main office downtown is open until 10 PM every night except for Sundays when they are open until 8 PM. This is for urgent care type situations. It has been so great to have them to go to instead of Primary Care or the emergency room when one of the kids needs to see someone right away or they have a non-emergency injury.

I go to Family Medicine of Albemarle and I really like those docs as well. I know kids that use Dr. Klaus and really like him.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#3 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 PM

we go to see Dr Gelburd at Downtown Family Health.

What is it exactly that you're looking for in a pediatrician? Things that are important to you? That might help us give you better recommendations.
#4 of 6 Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM

I wasn't too happy with Hawkes, but I'm guessing the whole extended nursing thing combined with not vaxing was too much for him.

We love love love Dr. Boersma (Carol) at Piedmont Pediatrics. She is so kind and sweet. She's pro-vax too, but is giving us some space for now while we get Violet's other issues sorted.

I hear good things about Gelburd and Ogan too.

Hope that helps,

-Vijay
#5 of 6 Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

We go to Dr. Ogan - though if you are interested in him, you need to hurry and call... he only takes 4 newborns per month (by due date). He's got signs in the office that say you should call by the 5th month if you are expecting. Dr. Ogan does a delayed vax schedule & is a lactation consultant. He also does housecalls for the first 2 weeks and sick kids. I love that his office doesn't feel all germy!

I also have heard good things about Dr. Gelburd.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#6 of 6 Old 10-28-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I went ahead and made an appointment with Ogan, I am not die till March so he still had some spots.

Thanks for all your input!

Stepmom to Maddy 4/00 Mom to Imogen 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page